One more reason never to text while driving

You might be doing just about anything with that other hand, but New York State Police are likely to take it as a sign you?re doing something you shouldn?t.

Last week, Gov. Andrew Cuomo launched a $1 million enforcement effort for the state?s newly strengthened distracted-driving laws. A conviction for texting or using a handheld phone now brings five driver?s license demerit points rather than three. Penalties are even steeper for young drivers with provisional licenses: A first conviction brings a 60-day license suspension.

Some of the money will go toward new Concealed Identity Traffic Enforcement vehicles -- bureaucratese for unmarked sport-utility vehicles that ride high enough that troopers can look inside other vehicles for electronics hidden in drivers? laps.

"We sit a little higher so you can look down into vehicles," State Trooper Ian Henry told WTEN-TV. "If you don't see both hands on steering wheel, we try to see where the other hand is."

New York?s anti-distraction law is primary, meaning troopers can pull a driver over just for that offense.

Cuomo?s office says distracted driving is responsible for about one crash in five. Last year, state and local law enforcement wrote more than 216,000 tickets for violations of the state?s hands-free law. A single distracted-driving ticket is unlikely to greatly affect anyone?s car insurance rates, but two probably would.

source

Does that mean no more picking your nose whilst driving, too? 'Coz I see lots of folks doing that... Some even make it lunch, too... :x

I think, (though I could be wrong) you get 6 points on your driver's license in the UK and a fine (max points allowed on a full UK license over 2 years old is 12, or 6 points if the license is less than 2 years old)

I think, (though I could be wrong) you get 6 points on your driver's license in the UK and a fine (max points allowed on a full UK license over 2 years old is 12, or 6 points if the license is less than 2 years old)

I'll never forget the time my wife called me when I was stuck in traffic.. And I answered it, in full view of a cop... :S  I just didn't think, and I -was- stationary at the time! Oh boy did that cop chew me out! Luckily, they let me off!  Thankfully, they were really busy as they were redirecting traffic due to a jumper on the roof of my wife's office building, which is why she was calling me! :p

BTW: The jumper didn't jump. :p

It will just make more uninsured drivers

Not necessarily.  People won't get kicked off their insurance unless they are super repeat-offenders.

Regardless, preventing crashes at the expense of a few people being kicked off their insurance is a fair trade-off, imo.

If you have maximum points your not legally allowed to drive and thus hold no valid insurance, as an consequence of this there are a large number of uninsured drivers on the UK roads ergo this is a badly thought out plan and will merely add to the number.

Thankfully, they were really busy as they were redirecting traffic due to a jumper on the roof of my wife's office building, which is why she was calling me! :p

BTW: The jumper didn't jump. :p

Shucks -- then you could have made use of the camera !

Tinted windows are illegal in NY.

I'm actually ok with this, roads are public, and if you're an idiot behind the wheel you might kill me.  So yeah, let's ticket these fools. 

So does this mean it's now illegal to change radio stations in NY?  How liberally are they interpreting this law?

I think the first line of the article is misleading.  Further in, you get to this quote:

"We sit a little higher so you can look down into vehicles," State Trooper Ian Henry told WTEN-TV. "If you don't see both hands on steering wheel, we try to see where the other hand is."

They're not just going to pull you over all willy nilly, they're going to look for what you're doing.

They're not just going to pull you over all willy nilly, they're going to look for what you're doing.

Hee,hee you could misconstrue your last statement

I read that but it doesn't state exactly what offences they will/can pull you over for.  Is it just cellphone?  Can it include changing radio stations if they wanted? 

Where I live police will let you slide on some things sometimes, but whenever you read/hear about xxx police district is cash strapped due to overtime, investigations or what have you, then the police start pulling you over for virtually anything to try and get some ticket money.