Enable or disable jumbo frame on a synology nas?

I have been having some streaming issues on my synology ds211j for the last couple of months.  I have the asus rt-n66u n router so streaming shouldn't be an issue.  But any movie that is over say 2gb/1080p has issues streaming to my roku.  It always freezes and buffers.  So, looking through the settings on my nas I see that I have jumbo frame disabled.  Is it best to keep it that way or enable it?

Copy a file in Windows and see how fast it goes. 2GB 1080p though sounds like crap IMO, should be really low bitrate then so it shouldn't be struggling to pull that data... that shouldn't be more than 2-3Mbps which is chump change for even 100Mbps Ethernet.

Copy a file in Windows and see how fast it goes. 2GB 1080p though sounds like crap IMO, should be really low bitrate then so it shouldn't be struggling to pull that data... that shouldn't be more than 2-3Mbps which is chump change for even 100Mbps Ethernet.

So it more sounds like the roku could be the bottleneck then anything else.  Files copy on and off of it very fast.

I wouldn't say that the roku is the bottleneck as it probably streams off of the internet very quickly.  I would say that whatever software that is on the netgear could be causing issues.  The roku streams fine over the internet, much less bandwidth than what is available locally. 

The Roku is connected via LAN or Wireless? If connected via cable it should be flying at max speeds but if it's wireless then it might be interference causing the buffering.

So are you actually streaming or just reading a file off a share..  There is always some confusion when talking about watching a movie of local network.

Is you nas actually streaming to your roku, or is your roku just opening a file off a share -- big difference!!

If the roku does not have gig interface, or your wireless then jumbo wouldn't make a difference either way. I don't see a need or point to running jumbo on a home network -- most devices in a home setup don't support jumbo or dont support the same frame size, etc.  So its of little use normally.

If you have devices that support jumbo and you want them to use that - then sure have fun, but your best to prob isolate those on their own segment unless all your devices support it.. Since it can cause way more trouble than its worth.

What specific roku do you have so can lookup the spec's -- for the cost of them, I find gig unlikely.  I have a older popcorn hour that only has 100mbit and to be honest it only can do about 65mbit anyway.. Doesn't have much umph in horsepower wise on the cpu or the nic, but plays anything I throw at it.. 1080p off my file share is never an issue.

So are you actually streaming or just reading a file off a share..  There is always some confusion when talking about watching a movie of local network.

Is you nas actually streaming to your roku, or is your roku just opening a file off a share -- big difference!!

If the roku does not have gig interface, or your wireless then jumbo wouldn't make a difference either way. I don't see a need or point to running jumbo on a home network -- most devices in a home setup don't support jumbo or dont support the same frame size, etc.  So its of little use normally.

If you have devices that support jumbo and you want them to use that - then sure have fun, but your best to prob isolate those on their own segment unless all your devices support it.. Since it can cause way more trouble than its worth.

What specific roku do you have so can lookup the spec's -- for the cost of them, I find gig unlikely.  I have a older popcorn hour that only has 100mbit and to be honest it only can do about 65mbit anyway.. Doesn't have much umph in horsepower wise on the cpu or the nic, but plays anything I throw at it.. 1080p off my file share is never an issue.

The roku streams wirelessly using plex media server.  My mac mini acts as the PMS and accesses the media on the nas via shares.  It then streams it out over the wlan to the plex channel on the roku.

The roku unit is the roku 2 xs which I believe has a gigabit interface.

Mac Mini might not be able to do it fast enough is maybe why? Are you connected via Wireless G or N as well?

Have you tried it wired to see if that helps?  The Roku 2 is only 10/100, so won't do jumbo frames.

I can't do wired right now as my home layout doesn't allow for it.  But in a couple of weeks I will have the place setup with cat6 drops in each room that I am hoping will solve these small issues.

Mac Mini might not be able to do it fast enough is maybe why? Are you connected via Wireless G or N as well?

The mac mini is hard wired to the router.  The router is wireless n and the roku is also wireless n.  It's only an issue for streaming local movies.  Streaming from hulu/netflix/amazon is no problem on the roku.

So you are streaming then - your plex server is taking the file and streaming it (transcoding it on the fly) to send to your roku.

And this is over wireless -- which sucks for this sort of thing if you ask me.. I don't care if its N or AC even..  And personally don't get the whole streaming thing - why do that extra processing when you already have the file.. Just open it via a share is better if you ask me.

You might have issues with what formats the roku can read, so files would have to be converted before hand or on the fly like your doing via your plex server..  But how your doing it for sure does not allow for max bandwidth of high level HD stuff with has a high bitrate..

Your reading a file off a network share, then converting it for streaming, then streaming it over wireless from sound of it..  Are the files mp4 or mov? I think those are easier to stream since roku handles that format and might require less cpu to stream them.

I want to pick up a roku to play with - but since my old popcorn A-110 has been rock solid there has been little need for me to play with other stuff for my media needs.