• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:34

Here's some info:

We had some thunder and lightening a few days ago.  A loud crack happened outside but in the same direction as the PC.

The PC was on "sleep" mode.

I noticed within 10 mins the PC was on.  So I checked on the TV and it said "no signal".  We also lost TV signal.  I pressed and held the power button and the PC turned off.

The next day, TV signal returned.

I tried the PC, it starts, the hard drives load some things but I don't think Windows loads, but I can't really tell as the screen still says there is no signal.

Using a HDMI cable, integrated motherboard port.

I haven't yet opened it to see if everything looks okay but any guesses?

Best Answer Biohead , 26 July 2013 - 08:34

Could always look into buying a dirt cheap graphics card with HDMI out if your case allows? nVidia GT520 or AMD HD5450 will do that for you and they cost around £20 each.

Go to the full post

#2 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:35

Any guesses? Yeah, that your motherboard or PSU is fried. You won't know until you open it up, try a different PSU or an add-in video card.

#3 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:39

yeah sounds like your motherboard fried. whatever you do, because with what you salvage from that PC, in my experience fried parts can burn other components in a new pc

#4 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:41

Try turning on the busted computer and pinging it from another computer in your house (assuming you had the firewall/sharing configured to allow this).

#5 Azies

Azies

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:47

This is the reason why I unplug electronics during a thunderstorm, the loud crack was lightening hitting somewhere near or on your house, sending a surge of electricity through the power lines, damaging or disabling everything it touches, your computer is the unfortunate victim of a power surge, and may it rest in peace.

#6 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:50

This is the reason why I unplug electronics during a thunderstorm, the loud crack was lightening hitting somewhere near or on your house, sending a surge of electricity through the power lines, damaging or disabling everything it touches, your computer is the unfortunate victim of a power surge, and may it rest in peace.

Or have your components plugged into a competent UPS :)

#7 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

Posted 25 July 2013 - 18:53

Well, opened it up and took a look.

Nothing looks blown, although their is a little bit of a strange smell, but it might just be "electricals".

It was plugged into a surge protector 4-bar, which still has the "surge" light on.  The PSU turns on okay and runs power to the PC, but maybe no where near enough.

If the worst really is the worst, what happens to the data?

I have 4 HDD split into 6 paritions.  Providing the data is all okay, I guess I can re-install windows on the "Windows" partition only?

With a change of Motherboard, will I have to re-activate Windows?

#8 +Xenosion

Xenosion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:01

Well, opened it up and took a look.
Nothing looks blown, although their is a little bit of a strange smell, but it might just be "electricals".

It was plugged into a surge protector 4-bar, which still has the "surge" light on.  The PSU turns on okay and runs power to the PC, but maybe no where near enough.

If the worst really is the worst, what happens to the data?
I have 4 HDD split into 6 paritions.  Providing the data is all okay, I guess I can re-install windows on the "Windows" partition only?
With a change of Motherboard, will I have to re-activate Windows?

Why would you have to reinstall your OS? You might have to, but you're not there yet. If you replace the motherboard with one that has the same chipset, it should largely be no issue.

Do you have a RAID with these four HDDs?

#9 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:04

Here's some info:

We had some thunder and lightening a few days ago.  A loud crack happened outside but in the same direction as the PC.

The PC was on "sleep" mode.

I noticed within 10 mins the PC was on.  So I checked on the TV and it said "no signal".  We also lost TV signal.  I pressed and held the power button and the PC turned off.

The next day, TV signal returned.

I tried the PC, it starts, the hard drives load some things but I don't think Windows loads, but I can't really tell as the screen still says there is no signal.

Using a HDMI cable, integrated motherboard port.

I haven't yet opened it to see if everything looks okay but any guesses?

Happened to me once.  Turned out to be the PSU and not the motherboard.  I would try a new PSU first.  If thats not the problem, return it.  would be faster/cheaper to try that first.

yeah sounds like your motherboard fried. whatever you do, because with what you salvage from that PC, in my experience fried parts can burn other components in a new pc

I had hard drives and video cards fry when mobos went.  A couple times, the processor.

#10 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:04

This is why I have whole house surge arrestors and protectors installed on my electrical service panel...

#11 f0rk_b0mb

f0rk_b0mb

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Motorola Moto G

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:13

I had that problem!!! Try a different power supply or unplug it from the walllet press power, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Plug it back in. Does it work?

#12 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:26

Or have your components plugged into a competent UPS :)

Even a competent surge protector will do the job. Competent being not something bought at wallmart for 20 bucks.

#13 Aergan

Aergan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Sony Xperia Z1

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:39

As stated if you're lucky it's just the PSU.

Highly recommend either visiting B&Q, Currys or Argos and pay £8-£12 for a branded surge protected 4-6 plug gangway (ideally one that states they guarantee survival of your equipment in the event of a surge etc). We have all major electrical goods protected in our house.

#14 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:44

This is why I have whole house surge arrestors and protectors installed on my electrical service panel...

surge arrestors?

#15 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 25 July 2013 - 19:48

Surge protectors with the lights aren't worth a damn, you want a TRUE surge protector (I've got an old one here that also turns other outlets on if PC is on but has a proper surge protector built in with a £20,000 guarantee and it lasts through multiple surges, not just one).

Also note that surges effect _ALL_ electrical equipment, including phone lines, modems, routers, (network) switches, so this means (and has happened to me) that a router or switch can get too much power and instead of burning it as heat, puts it out on your network, for wireless that doesn't mean much, but for wired it will either blow the network port (you'll be lucky) or it'll blow something else inside the PC/Laptop.

Get PROPER surge protection and get it for ALL devices like computers, fridges, network equipment, etc.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!