Answered Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 25 July 2013 - 20:18

Well, after testing with an RGB cable, the PC works fine. It's to do with the HDMI display unit of the motherboard, tested with another cable but no joy.

My surge protector 4-bar was just from a cheapy shop in the UK, Wilkinson but like I say, it's still protected according to the light, plus the router, which is also plugged into it is fine. In fact, it's aMasterplug, which seems to have good reviews on Amazon

I guess it means if I want to use HDMI then it's another motherboard? Won't the MAC code be different requiring me to re-install the OS?

Can anyone recommend a cheap but good surge protector? But then surely if the PC is off? I guess it could be the HDMI on the TV...]o

#17 Crisp

Crisp

To infinity and beyond

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 25 July 2013 - 20:26

How do we know it's the motherboard that's at fault? Your HDMI monitor could be the problem...

#18 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

Posted 25 July 2013 - 20:39

Nope, must be the motherboard as I tested the HDMI in another port on the TV.
Seems likely now.

#19 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 25 July 2013 - 23:36

There was an article I read years ago on the different types of surge protector and why the ones with bulbs are a complete waste of money.

Have a look on google, just had a quick search but I can't find what I read years ago but you should be able to find out about the various types of surge protectors.

You will pay much more for a decent surge protector (that actually works), like £10-£20 upwards but it's worth it.

And yes you might have to reinstall/reactivate windows if you get a replacement motherboard.

#20 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 26 July 2013 - 04:36

Sorry for your loss dude, (couldn't think of anything else to say, tired, sleepy and 5:30 am) hope your drives are ok, (this is one of the main reasons I drove this information into my wife about thunderstorms)

Yes, in the UK they don't always come as intense as the ones we had Tuesday, but the fact that you are asking here shows that it can happen, I feel bad for you that it happened to you, or in fact at all,

New mobo doesn't automatically mean reformat, sometimes a safe mode boot, to get windows to recognise new hardware installed can do the trick.

I remember when my 1998 (or 1999) 1 gig athlon single core blew on me in about 2002, and the mobo was too old for a replacement sempron as it and the athlon was mostly obsolete, had to buy a new board and cpu, and got (XP at that time) to boot into safe mode, then next time it booted to normal, I could install drivers for the new hardware,

I only say this as you don't need to despair, and assuming the cpu is ok and you can find another mobo same model as yours there's next to nothing to reinstall.

My main worry is the Hard Drives, if they're ok, your data is, (with mine, that's all that matters, too many family memories saved on them, and backed up just in case)

#21 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:10

Well that's a blow to the plan as my motherboard isn't sold any more.  It annoys me as an RGB cable works fine, it's just the HDMI.

But then maybe this is the time for me to refresh the system and get something that I can add many more hard drives to, a little like a server - I should have explained, this is my HTPC.

If so, does anyone know any builders out there?  I did look at Lime Tech, but I'm based in the UK :/  Their barebones case would cost £357 all in to get it here.

Can I activate Windows on a new motherboard / system?

#22 Biohead

Biohead

Neowinian

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:34   Best Answer

Could always look into buying a dirt cheap graphics card with HDMI out if your case allows? nVidia GT520 or AMD HD5450 will do that for you and they cost around £20 each.

#23 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

Posted 26 July 2013 - 14:12

OoOo, I didn't think of that.

The case will allow, I think.  Will look at that as a stop gap until I save monies to get a new shuttle PC for my main desktop and a better case that will last for a good few years downstairs :D

I wonder what the flavour of the year is with regard to nVidia or AMD.  But then I am sure both will do fine at playing 1080p stuff.

Kinda leaning towards the Sapphire HD Radion as the heat sink isn't so big but then I have no other cards in the case, just hard drives so the bigger heatsink on the nVidia would be fine I should think.

#24 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2013 - 15:13

You know, I mentioned all this already. No hard feelings but you ignored valid suggestions.

#25 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

Posted 27 July 2013 - 16:31

Sorry, I missed that bit :/

Strange though as I read the first suggestion about a PSU :s