AMD new gen CPU's and the new gen Consoles

amd

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
  • Phone: XT890 Motorola RAZRi (x86 processor)

Posted 19 August 2013 - 10:54

this wont somehow give AMD an edge in the future in the computing space at all. Theres one reason,and one reason only why Sony and Microsoft went with the jaguar chip. PRICE. You have to remember jaguar is an architecture for mobile type devices. It has low power consumption,and its way cheaper than putting a beast like a core or piledriver/(steamroller?) chip in there. The consequences of this is that developers are going to have to multithread up the ass to get good performance out of these console chips.  We've also heard 3rd party developers accounts on how next gen console games are written for PC first(singlethreaded,cough), then dirty compiled to consoles, then optimized,likely by doing some heavy multithreading. I bet the custom GPUs are also going to be used to offload computations to give the cpu some breathing room,and don't forget the Cloud ;)

Price and the fact that that APU runs a radeon 7850 equivalent, all in one chip.

#17 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:12

AMD owns ATi, and remember that a lot of consoles have been powered by ATi GPUs now. Add to that the fact that high end Power PC support is virtually non-existent now that Apple dropped them, and that the Cell architecture was not as big a hit as Sony wanted, and you get AMD in the Xbox and PS3.

That said, AMD has been making better APUs than Intel for a long time now. That hasn't had much of an effect on their high end market, however.

#18 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 19 August 2013 - 11:15

Seems like the consoles are using an eight core version, not the four core you can get in PCs.

So it doesn't seem like it's a one to one comparison, at least with currently offered products.

It certainly validates their strategy to some degree, but that doesn't make their earlier products any more competitive.  I'm not sure it could've happened any other way.

I've had enough trouble with this box I'd probably move back to AMD next year if I wasn't making the X1 my main comp.

#19 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:17

IMO if AMD had APUs with only a dual core or quad core processor attached, I believe MS and Sony would have still gone with them. I don't think the multiple cores are driving much of the purchasing decision.

Also remember that in terms of purchasing, it's got to be much easier to get a deal from AMD to produce a huge number of chips just for you, versus Intel, who already has a significant marketshare to deal with.

#20 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

• OS: Win 7 Ultimate / Win 8.1 Pro (With Start Menu Start8, otherwise is UNUSABLE) / Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean

Posted 19 August 2013 - 12:30

Seems like the consoles are using an eight core version, not the four core you can get in PCs.

So it doesn't seem like it's a one to one comparison, at least with currently offered products.

It certainly validates their strategy to some degree, but that doesn't make their earlier products any more competitive.  I'm not sure it could've happened any other way.

I've had enough trouble with this box I'd probably move back to AMD next year if I wasn't making the X1 my main comp.

Those processors follow the piledriver architecture: 4 modules: 8 integer units 4 FPUs. Both fx8320 and fx8350 follow the same architecture as x1 and ps4. (also 8120 but those processors are not as good as piledriver, nonetheless they still deliver fair amount of processing power, I don't know how much more though), APUs from AMD haven't yet gotten into the 8 core realm, that's supposed to change with steamroller architecture.

#21 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 19 August 2013 - 15:29

They're not really using an 8 core version. They are using 2 quad core modules that each have their own l2 cache,and each module communicates with the Northbridge separately. Its really 2 chips taped together basically.

#22 TheExperiment

TheExperiment

Reality Bomb

Posted 19 August 2013 - 15:32

Jaguars cores are independant from everything I've read, they don't follow that logic at all.

Those processors follow the piledriver architecture: 4 modules: 8 integer units 4 FPUs. Both fx8320 and fx8350 follow the same architecture as x1 and ps4.

#23 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 19 August 2013 - 15:50

AMD is not in a position as bad as some fanboys think they are.

I think their strategy (APU and multi core) is not bad and could definately pay later.

#24 Javik

Javik

Beware the tyrrany of those that wield power

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 19 August 2013 - 15:57

Ultimately I don't think it would make a massive amount of difference. The fact that Intel CPUs have higher per thread execution performance does not mean that they are deficient in threaded tasks, the benchmarks suggest the 2 are about even in math heavy applications, but it would probably bring AMD on level pegging with Intel which would certainly not be a bad thing for consumers.

Their ownership of ATI also gives them a big edge in GPU performance which will also help matters

#25 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 19 August 2013 - 16:03

I like AMD but AMD has the technology to shutdown or wind down the CPU when it isn't being used. I forget the name for it but, AMD might be able to get back in the game.

#26 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2013 - 16:07

chrisj1968, on 19 Aug 2013 - 11:03, said:

I like AMD but AMD has the technology to shutdown or wind down the CPU when it isn't being used. I forget the name for it but, AMD might be able to get back in the game.

This technology is not unique.

#27 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

Posted 19 August 2013 - 16:11

This technology is not unique.

Well no, but it is a good technology and any power saving technology is great

#28 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.4.2)

Posted 19 August 2013 - 16:21

intel has it too with turbo boost.  

#29 Arceles

Arceles

Time Craymel

Posted 19 August 2013 - 16:27

Jaguars cores are independant from everything I've read, they don't follow that logic at all.

I've read enough to say otherwise. They are "custom" Piledriver cores with a very nice radeon in there, changes were made in the pipelines for sony (something about executing code in the GPU non graphics related) and the move engines plus the faster framebuffer for MS.

#30 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 19 August 2013 - 17:05

intel has it too with turbo boost.  

Turbo boost is the other way around, it allows the processor to run over the "max" clock speed. SpeedStep is the technology that allows it to scale down using software.