AMD new gen CPU's and the new gen Consoles

chrisj1968, on 19 Aug 2013 - 11:03, said:

I like AMD but AMD has the technology to shutdown or wind down the CPU when it isn't being used. I forget the name for it but, AMD might be able to get back in the game.

This technology is not unique.

I like AMD but AMD has the technology to shutdown or wind down the CPU when it isn't being used. I forget the name for it but, AMD might be able to get back in the game.

intel has it too with turbo boost.  

Jaguars cores are independant from everything I've read, they don't follow that logic at all.

I've read enough to say otherwise. They are "custom" Piledriver cores with a very nice radeon in there, changes were made in the pipelines for sony (something about executing code in the GPU non graphics related) and the move engines plus the faster framebuffer for MS.

intel has it too with turbo boost.  

Turbo boost is the other way around, it allows the processor to run over the "max" clock speed. SpeedStep is the technology that allows it to scale down using software.

this wont somehow give AMD an edge in the future in the computing space at all. Theres one reason,and one reason only why Sony and Microsoft went with the jaguar chip. PRICE. 

Just wanted to answer this because it paints an over-simplified picture of the problem. If the only factor had been price, Sony and Microsoft could have slapped an Intel Celeron in there and called it a day. Instead they asked AMD to develop a custom SoC that's much more powerful than anything AMD was remotely planning to do on the desktop. Jaguar wasn't even out yet. This certainly had high costs in R&D. It's clear that the choice of architecture was driven by many factors such as single vs multi-threaded performance, heat dissipation, integration with the GPU, ease of programming, etc. 

Just wanted to answer this because it paints an over-simplified picture of the problem. If the only factor had been price, Sony and Microsoft could have slapped an Intel Celeron in there and called it a day. Instead they asked AMD to develop a custom SoC that's much more powerful than anything AMD was remotely planning to do on the desktop. Jaguar wasn't even out yet. This certainly had high costs in R&D. It's clear that the choice of architecture was driven by many factors such as single vs multi-threaded performance, heat dissipation, integration with the GPU, ease of programming, etc. 

intel and nvidia can certainly accomodate them in all those things you talked about,such as single vs multi threading,heat,ease of programming,etc.. hell they could just slap together a pc,and have one click port compiles(easy there,im making a point). what it ultimately came down to is pricing. ms and sony said, this is the type of performance were looking for,do you have anything in my price range? desperate amd said, we have this jaguar apu. its a cheap low power chip,but we can give you MOAR cores, if you want to punish yourself for going cheap and have to multithread like a mother. ms and sony said, SOLD. if they went to intel and nvidia, intel would give them atom cores,and nvidia will license them a nice core,and they will figure it out, but they would require steve ballmer to sign over all his shares in the company over,and his left nut,plus the cost of the overpriced chip.

intel and nvidia can certainly accomodate them in all those things you talked about

Intel doesn't have HSA, tends to be more expensive, doesn't have DX11.1 or 11.2 support in their GPUs

NV doesn't have x86 or indeed a high end processor part at all.

So if they want an APU AMD is the only one offering the full package.

Intel doesn't have HSA, tends to be more expensive, doesn't have DX11.1 or 11.2 support in their GPUs

NV doesn't have x86 or indeed a high end processor part at all.

So if they want an APU AMD is the only one offering the full package.

wheres the requirement that it had to absolutely be an APU?  they can certainly get the same performance from 2 separate chips,but again,intel is expensive,nvidia is expensive. amd had this package that met their performance requirements for the right price. they could have built something with the other guys but price ultimately would have been the factor that prevented them from going that route,not something technology wise.

right. again,its price that steered them in this direction.

Well if your point is that Microsoft and Sony chose the best tech available for the price then that's kind of what everybody does. That doesn't change the fact that this choice was also based on a set of technical and technological requirements.

To put it simply, the equivalent intel+nvidia setup, if set at the same price limit, would have been far inferior. It's called best bang for buck (and common sense :shiftyninja:).