3 posts in this topic

Smishing is an identity theft scheme that involves sending consumers text messages containing a link to a fraudulent website or a phone number in an attempt to collect personal information. This scheme is becoming increasingly popular and consumers should know how to determine if they are being targeted by these criminals and how to ensure that  their mobile devices are secure.

Earlier this month, the Better Business Bureau warned consumers of smishing, which has become prevalent in the age of the smartphone. Many mobile phone users keep their personal data, like bank account information, stored on their smartphones, but this information can be accessed by criminals through phishing and other scams. One example of a phishing scam is a criminal sending an alert from a bank asking the cellphone user to follow a link to verify account information, the BBB said, such as

I got one of these a few weeks ago saying that my Gmail account had been compromised, which is funny because I don't even have a Gmail account :laugh:

I regularly get one saying my HSBC bank account has been compromised and I have to change my details. I don't even bank with them.