Lincoln Memorial vandalized with green paint

WASHINGTON (AP) ? The U.S. Park Police in Washington say the Lincoln Memorial has been temporarily closed after someone splattered a splash of green paint on the statue.

Police say the apparent vandalism was discovered around 1:30 a.m. Friday on the statue, the pedestal and the floor. No words, letters or symbols were visible in the paint.

Capt. Steven Booker says the paint spill "appears intentional based off of the splatter." He says police are reviewing security camera footage to try to identify possible suspects.

Police say the memorial will be closed until the National Park Service maintenance crew can clean up the paint, which is expected to happen later Friday.

The memorial, one of the most popular sites on the National Mall, was dedicated in 1922 to the nation's 16th president.

source

that is horrible that someone would do that. especially being as the material it is made of would make cleaning a bit more difficult as you would not want to damage it. I hope they catch the person.

And someone spray painted on the Veterans memorial park here in Georgia last night. What the hell is wrong with people. 

I think the entire world has gone crazy.

I think the entire world has gone crazy.

No THINKING about it!

People have desecrated, vandalized and damaged monuments and statues forever. It's not like this is some new trend.

Punishment should be having to clean the statue its 10 next scheduled cleanings.