PlayStation 4 gives up to 5.5GB of RAM to game developers

ps4 sony playstation memory

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
124 replies to this topic

#1 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 26 July 2013 - 16:24

PlayStation 4 reserves 3.5GB of its 8GB GDDR5 memory for the operating system, leaving 4.5GB of space for game code, according to current PlayStation 4 documentation shown to Digital Foundry by a well-placed development source. However, further sources suggest that an additional 1GB of "flexible memory" may be reclaimed from the OS reservation, based on availability.

http://www.eurogamer...software-memory

#2 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 26 July 2013 - 16:27

That's a jump from the original 500MB, then 1GB.

#3 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 26 July 2013 - 16:37

So both sony and microsoft have bloated OS's then.

#4 devBrian

devBrian

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 July 2013 - 16:39

I'm buying a PS4 and an XBone day one.  I think the leap from this gen to the next will be greater than we think.  Seriously, the difference in specs is mindblowing.  I'm a hardcore Sony guy, have a Sony TV, surround system, all of the gaming consoles, but this generation has me super excited as a gamer and a developer, not just for the PS4 but Microsoft's offering as well.  Love and peace, guys! 

#5 Roger H.

Roger H.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 20
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 26 July 2013 - 16:41

If I didn't know anything at all and someone asked me i'd assume 1-2GB anyways. The 500MB thing seemed highly unlikely but I had to accept it as given. These numbers seem a bit more realistic.

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 26 July 2013 - 16:46

So then the stuff about it only using 1GB to 1.5GB and allowing all the rest to game developers turned out untrue?    Surprise!

#7 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 July 2013 - 16:46

i seem to recall some "gamers" being hard on Microsoft for not being all dedicated to games, and how PS4 had all his ram for games, but now sony reserves only almost half of the ram for games.

#8 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:29

I'm not going to knock it... If there is a strategy behind it. 

Microsoft dedicated 3GB of Ram to the Windows Side of the XB1 so that extra features can be added over the next 10yrs.  It will not need those 3GB to run out of the box...

I'm hoping that the same applies to the PS4 as well.  Because if it's using that much memory for the OS without being able to expand in functionality as time goes on... well that's a problem...

Should I cancel my PS4 reservation... And wait on a PS4/Vita/Eye bundle?

#9 OP kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:30

i seem to recall some "gamers" being hard on Microsoft for not being all dedicated to games, and how PS4 had all his ram for games, but now sony reserves only almost half of the ram for games.

What I find funny is that I've seen people on GAF say: it's okay, 5gigs is plenty for games

How many people bitched because X1 had 5gigs?

ETA: I really want to know why the OS requires 3gigs. We already know why it does on the xbox.

#10 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:32

#11 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:36

Wow, this is pretty surprising. It seemed like it was a given fact that the ps4 was using like 1gb of ram for its os and 7 for games.

If this really is true, it sure does change the console conversation. Many people bashed MS incessantly over this and now it turns out they weren't the only ones.  This was part of the 'Sony more focused on gaming' platform.

Personally it matters little to me. As long as these consoles show off great experiences and useful features, I'm cool with it.

#12 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:40

With the amount last gen had I am sure the developers will be able to make do with whatever they will have for next gen.  Nothing to see here folks.

#13 vcfan

vcfan

Doing the Humpty Dance

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:43

ETA: I really want to know why the OS requires 3gigs. We already know why it does on the xbox.

cache for the 15 minutes of always recording gameplay?

#14 -T-

-T-

Trapmaster

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:49

So only 4.5GB available for games? I await those that bashed MS for only having 5GB available for games, to come in and condemn Sony for having less

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 26 July 2013 - 17:51

So only 4.5GB available for games? I await those that bashed MS for only having 5GB available for games, to come in and condemn Sony for having less

You might be waiting a long time