• Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:00

Ha! No!

#17 Steven P.

Steven P.

aka Neobond

• 30,343 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:05

Yeah thats why Google is allowing its hardware partners to fight between themselves in the marketplace with Android  :rolleyes:

#18 (Spork)

(Spork)

ANDROID-APPLE

• 4,786 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:53

wait wasn't nokia just about dead before microsoft jumped in ?  

#19 vetFourjays

Fourjays

Neowinian Senior

• 3,013 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:06

Ugh. Another "Nokia would be saved if it used Android" article. I'm not going to argue that Windows Phone is the greatest OS out there (like most Microsoft products, it is a good idea that needs a lot of work and refinement), but I'm fairly certain Nokia would already have shut its doors if it had gone with Android. It is a seriously overcrowded market, where mutilating stock Android is the only way to differentiate yourself from the competition.

At least with Windows Phone they are different from the competition. They just need Microsoft to get Windows Phone up to par really.

#20 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:36

On February 10, 2011, Nokia (NOK) and Microsoft (MSFT) released a statement announcing plans for a partnership to develop a global ecosystem. The agreement specified that Nokia would join ranks with the Windows operating system as an original equipment maker. In broad terms, Microsoft would put up the marketing cash and software, in exchange for near exclusive access to Nokia hardware as an ecosystem provider. Before the ink dried on this partnership, however, Microsoft had already closed deals with Huawei Technologies and Samsung (SSNHY.OB) to also manufacture Windows phones. Yes, Microsoft is notorious for throwing its own partners beneath the bus and forcing original equipment makers to compete against each other until they implode financially. Nokia is following in the loss leading footsteps of both Dell (DELL) and Hewlett Packard (HPQ). Microsoft is the cancer.

http://seekingalpha....rce=google_news

So what happens when Nokia adopts Android and still goes out of business?  Too many phones are running Android and there isn't really a big difference between them other than small features nobody will ever use and maybe in some cases price.  There is too much competition with a small piece of the pie that is getting smaller every six months.

If Microsoft is the cancer, what is a valid cure?  I just don't see a cure.

#21 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,784 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:49

well, most cancer doesn't really have a 'cure' you just have to undergoes operation and remove the affected parts.

#22 Yogurtmaster

Yogurtmaster

Neowinian

• 1,225 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:13

well, most cancer doesn't really have a 'cure' you just have to undergoes operation and remove the affected parts.

Waaaa waaa ;-p

#23 blerk

blerk

Neowinian

• 608 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:31

Ugh. Another "Nokia would be saved if it used Android" article. I'm not going to argue that Windows Phone is the greatest OS out there (like most Microsoft products, it is a good idea that needs a lot of work and refinement), but I'm fairly certain Nokia would already have shut its doors if it had gone with Android. It is a seriously overcrowded market, where mutilating stock Android is the only way to differentiate yourself from the competition.

At least with Windows Phone they are different from the competition. They just need Microsoft to get Windows Phone up to par really.

Well that could be their ironic differentiator - by not mutilating Android to be different they're being different....

#24 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,424 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:03

wait wasn't nokia just about dead before microsoft jumped in ?

In fairness, Nokia has been declared dead since the late '90s. They've always managed to bounce back. The N series brought new life, and had a good run. Personally I thought the N95, N86 and the N8 were great phones. I know this is not a shared sentiment throughout the world, but like every company in the world, it's impossible to keep 100% of customers satisfied 100% of the time.

#25 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• 10,495 posts
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:18

what stage of cancer is it now? Can it be cured by the magic medicine of Android?

lol
But on a serious note, (or at least a personal opinion) Nokia could have made both markets happy if they kept symbian development going, Windows phones for those who want it, symbian for those who don't, but still want the latest Nokias

People stopped buying Symbian, that's the reason Nokia stopped making them.

as suggested by many others, NOKI should've doing diversification like accepting Android while doing WP or perhaps combine the best of both world that exclusive only to Nokia.

Not that easy/doesn't work, see HTC.

#26 Torolol

Torolol

• 2,784 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:24

Not that easy/doesn't work, see HTC.

ah you're right, i forgot about the Android GPL-ness.

If Nokia incorporate some feature from Android into its own WP, Nokia by law are required to make the WP open source,

very unlikely to happen unless MSFT okay with it which of course almost impossible to happens.

#27 EmbraceNext

EmbraceNext

Neowinian

• 130 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:34

This is one of the most misinformed and idiotic things I have ever read.

#28 adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Neowinian Senior

• 1,967 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:43

ah you're right, i forgot about the Android GPL-ness.

If Nokia incorporate some feature from Android into its own WP, Nokia by law are required to make the WP open source,

very unlikely to happen unless MSFT okay with it which of course almost impossible to happens.

Not really.

Most of Android is Apache licensed.  Kernel aside, very little is GPL.

#29 Master of Earth

Master of Earth

Neowinian

• 721 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 16:47

no it's just a rounding error  :woot:

#30 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,424 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:13

People stopped buying Symbian, that's the reason Nokia stopped making them.

Not everybody, I've been thinking of selling my S3 for a while now and going back to using my old N8, but that's partly because the novelty of trying out android has worn off, and partly because I miss

symbian, but like I said, I'm in a minority of users who do miss it

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!