HDMI cables quality

hdmi

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#16 Glen

Glen

Neowinian

Posted 26 July 2013 - 23:12

As others have already stated, digital signals (such as HDMI or DVI) do not require expensive cables and you should be fine with a 3 foot cable of almost any quality, or longer cable of decent quality, but you don't need expensive Monster cables.  The whole market for expensive "ultra" cables came about back during the audiophile years when people claimed they could hear a difference in their analog stereo signal using $100+ cables.  While it did make some difference in analog signals on some high end systems, the difference was virtually indistinguishable to the average listener.  It did make the person spending the money feel better about themselves, so the market thrived.

In short:  No, you don't need those really expensive cables for a digital connection.

#17 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 26 July 2013 - 23:44

all data over HDMI is digital and digital signal is not affected by the quality material that much as analogue. Analogue audio and video signal sees a quality boost but digital does not. Those cables sold at Curry's for £189 are a rip-off.

#18 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 26 July 2013 - 23:49

Marshal, I'd stand by Monster cables  http://www.monsterca...m/hdmi/hdmi.asp Why? I bought 2 of their best HDMI cables for my 40 inch flat-screen in my livingroom. It makes all the difference. Charter cable gave me some cheap knock off cable my my TV didn't respond to the new blu-ray player until the monster cable was connected.

The good kind, GOLD and such, are wonderful. But you do get what you pay for. I'm positive you'll find cheaper monster cables un-used through amazon or ebay maybe???

But think about quality. if you have a nice theater system, you'll want what you can get to give the best presentation

#19 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 26 July 2013 - 23:50

HDMI cables either work or don't work. There is no difference in signal quality between a $100 "brand-name" cable and a $0.05 cable from China.

This is one of the few instances where it's perfectly fine to buy the cheapest option.

#20 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

Posted 26 July 2013 - 23:57

if you have a nice theater system, you'll want what you can get to give the best presentation

Which cheap Monoprice or Amazon Basics cable will do.

#21 +djdanster

djdanster

Neowin elite

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4 White Frost

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:09

Marshal, I'd stand by Monster cables  http://www.monsterca...m/hdmi/hdmi.asp Why? I bought 2 of their best HDMI cables for my 40 inch flat-screen in my livingroom. It makes all the difference. Charter cable gave me some cheap knock off cable my my TV didn't respond to the new blu-ray player until the monster cable was connected.

The good kind, GOLD and such, are wonderful. But you do get what you pay for. I'm positive you'll find cheaper monster cables un-used through amazon or ebay maybe???

But think about quality. if you have a nice theater system, you'll want what you can get to give the best presentation

Monster employee detected! :p

But seriously, I purchase £1 HDMI cables from Amazon when I need them. I've never had any problems with "cheap" connectors, they've all been perfectly FINE! :)

Honestly Marshall, don't waste your money on Monster. The only difference is that they are braided for aesthetic purposes.

Oh yeah, and as others have said there is no such thing as a 1.4 cable :)

#22 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:11

But seriously, I purchase £1 HDMI cables from Amazon when I need them. I've never had any problems with "cheap" connectors, they've all been perfectly FINE! :)

Honestly Marshall, don't waste your money on Monster. The only difference is that they are braided for aesthetic purposes.

just to add, cheaper braided cables also exist :)

#23 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:16

nope. never was. I'm retired and bought the monster cables. Gold and silver conduct electricity better then normal metals. Hence.. this is why AMD and Intel use silver for conduction in their processors.

others in this thread= Epic fail. :p 

#24 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:18

nope. never was. I'm retired and bought the monster cables. Gold and silver conduct electricity better then normal metals. Hence.. this is why AMD and Intel use silver for conduction in their processors.

gee, thanks

#25 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:21

A digital signal either exists or it doesn't.. if you aren't getting a signal or broken signal, the cable is totally defective. It doesn't matter the brand, as long as the construction quality is ok you are fine, ANY $10-$20 cable at the local store is the same thing.

#26 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:40

But you do get what you pay for.

Not at all.  Monster all but admitted to us it was pure nonsense but helped salespeople sell.

#27 Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Atomic Wanderer Chicken

Assistant Special Agent Chicken in charge

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Motorola MicroTAC Elite

Posted 27 July 2013 - 00:44

This whole expensive HDMI cable thing is absurd and a marketing ploy. HDMI cable like USB cables send digital signals out and there shouldn't be any difference in what cable you buy. The companies making the cables created a false perception that less expensive cables produced worse quality. I have two free HDMI cables from the cable company, one that's cheaper and one that's a little more expensive, I have notice zero difference in the quality. Just like a USB cable, you either get a connection or you don't.

This HDMI cable will deliver the same performance

http://www.bestbuy.c...2&skuId=9343089

as this bizarrely high one

http://www.bestbuy.c...kuId=1307068557

hdmi.jpg

#28 Anibal P

Anibal P

Neowinian

• Phone: Android

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:01

Go to Monoprice.com, buy HDMI cable at whatever length you need, enjoy your digital signal and savings over the ripoff cables you'd buy locally

#29 OP Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:05

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I didn't pay the ridiculous premium for Monster cables.

I found a pair of Rocket Fish ones for $16.00 on ebay so I snagged them up.

Thanks again, much appreciated.  :)

#30 +Phouchg

Phouchg

Resident Misanthrope

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:07

Well...

jStA3lR.png

http://www.amazon.co...ews/B000I1X6PM/