#31 jren207

jren207

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:15

Well...

http://www.amazon.co...ews/B000I1X6PM/

As soon as I saw this thread, I thought about THAT cable!

#32 xpablo

xpablo

XPablo

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:27

Monoprice has excellent cables, with these guys there are different quality HDMI cables, with variety of connector quality and guage of wire. but even with the lowest price HDMI cables I have work excellent

I have 1 Monster branded HDMI cable, that was given to me, and I notice no difference in that cable to a MP cable.

I did buy a dollar store HDMI cable 1.5ft it cost me $1.50 and it didn't work from my Blue Ray to my AV Receiver, but worked when I plugged it in directly to the TV.

so I stay away from dollar store cables.

#33 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:42

nope. never was. I'm retired and bought the monster cables. Gold and silver conduct electricity better then normal metals. Hence.. this is why AMD and Intel use silver for conduction in their processors.

others in this thread= Epic fail. :p

So you're comparing heat dissipation of a CPU to the useless gold plating on overpriced HDMI cables?

#34 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:43

So you're comparing heat dissipation of a CPU to the useless gold plating on overpriced HDMI cables?

Well, he clearly knows nothing about HDMI cables, so its no surprise he's using a nonsense apples/oranges comparison to justify his wasteful spending to himself.

Here's a good article for people who are interested in scientific fact and not marketing hype.

http://news.cnet.com...s-are-the-same/

#35 68k

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:53

I bought a HDMI cable from Newark/element14/Farnell for $2 AUD. Works perfectly (and is physically good quality too). I've seen them for $70 AUD at some stores - what a rip off.

HDMI is a digital technology, not analogue. It won't suffer from interference like a HD analogue (AV) interface would. Gold plating probably makes no difference.

Any 4K display users care to share their experience?

I look at it this way: USB 3.0 can transfer 100MB/s over a cable under $5 without gold plating and quad shielding. 4K resolution probably won't reach 100MB/s.

#36 Eddo89

Eddo89

Neowinian

Posted 27 July 2013 - 02:00

If your cable is required to be on a constant angle, or plugged in and out all the time, you probably don't want it to be so cheap. Cheaper cables are of cheaper construct. But if you are using it to plug in a laptop, then make a note of how big the connector is, as it may block some ports. Anything you need to think about in buying a HDMI cable is to do with the practicality. 

As concerning signal, it is never a concern. 

#37 Albert

Albert

Neowinian Senior

Posted 27 July 2013 - 03:32

some of the cost factor has to do with the EMI shielding weaved into the hdmi cable. i was involved in some of the qualification process for hdmi cable 2 years back and the price range differ significantly depending on the complexity of the shielding requirement defined by customers. but as some of the prior posts mentioned, most users will not detect any differences when used under most normal condition.

#38 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:10

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I didn't pay the ridiculous premium for Monster cables.

I found a pair of Rocket Fish ones for $16.00 on ebay so I snagged them up.

Thanks again, much appreciated.  :)

Rocket Fish is nice should not have any problem with them.

#39 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 28 July 2013 - 17:37

There's no such thing as an 'HDMI 1.4' cable. Version numbers apply to devices, not cables. In fact since 2010 or 2011 HDMI.Org has prohibited the use of version numbers on cables because it was just a marketing lie that confused consumers.

And another endorsement for Monoprice cables here, they work great and have a solid warranty if they ever give you grief.

Thank you for pointing out the cable version fallacy. I thought they were capable of higher bandwidth or something.

#40 mrmomoman

mrmomoman

Neowinian

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:11

For the Monster Cable guy. Enjoy your retirement and A/V system with your overpriced cables as that was your EPIC FAIL not ours. My 65" Panasonic VT60 doesn't complain about my $10 cable. I guess I should have spent $$$ for cable since it was an expensive TV right?

I guess I am even more of an EPIC FAIL on my A/V Equipment too. I didn't buy the double platinum triple bonded Pixie Dust infused speaker wires that goes to my OMB 28 speakers but I will make sure that the next time Pixies will be harmed in the making of my super expensive speaker wires and connectors.

I spend the money where it counts and that is in the equipment. I have learned a long time ago about cables and their costs. In the Analogue days there were differences in cheap copper wire and good copper wire. Distance was more of a determining factor than anything else.

You said you had issues with a cheap cables and as I posted there are sometimes cheap cables that don't work, out of phase, handshaking issues. But just like expensive cars they don't always crank up even when you think they should for the money you just paid. It just hurts less for those of us who drive beaters :)

#41 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:38

Going too cheap can get you loose fitting connectors (if you are unlucky)

Other than that, image quality is identical.

EDIT: You might as well get HDMI 1.4 cables. That should future proof you a bit.

HDMI Cables don't have versions. they are HDMI Cables, the ports/internal hardware is version 1, 1.3, 1.4 and so on, but the cable is the same. in fact the HDMI alliance or whatever they're called have demanded any HDMI makers to not put version numbers on the cables anymore. 

a HDMI cables is a HDMI cable, it works or it don't if it doesn't it's broken. 

#42 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:52

For the Monster Cable guy. Enjoy your retirement and A/V system with your overpriced cables as that was your EPIC FAIL not ours.

Personally I think he went too cheap. If he was serious about getting the best picture quality he would have bought these:

http://www.rakuten.c...ingid=283506291

#43 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:47

HDMI Cables don't have versions. they are HDMI Cables, the ports/internal hardware is version 1, 1.3, 1.4 and so on, but the cable is the same. in fact the HDMI alliance or whatever they're called have demanded any HDMI makers to not put version numbers on the cables anymore.

a HDMI cables is a HDMI cable, it works or it don't if it doesn't it's broken.

Scroll up ;)

#44 mrmomoman

mrmomoman

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2013 - 00:08

Personally I think he went too cheap. If he was serious about getting the best picture quality he would have bought these:

http://www.rakuten.c...ingid=283506291

Yeah he did. Also need one of those Android 4.1 VERTU 50K phones too. Because when you have too much money what is 50K for an outdated phone anyways?

#45 mrmomoman

mrmomoman

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2013 - 00:14

In all seriousness though it's great that we have forums and people who bring a bit of spice to a rather bland topic. From the BBS(Showing how old I am ) to current forums I have always discovered or learned something new reading through them. Yes often times people speak completely out of their arse but when you have a group of like minded people speaking intelligently on a topic you can discover something you didn't know. 

To the guy who who purchased the overpriced MONSTER cable. :) Cheers. It's all in good fun.