HDMI cables quality

This whole expensive HDMI cable thing is absurd and a marketing ploy. HDMI cable like USB cables send digital signals out and there shouldn't be any difference in what cable you buy. The companies making the cables created a false perception that less expensive cables produced worse quality. I have two free HDMI cables from the cable company, one that's cheaper and one that's a little more expensive, I have notice zero difference in the quality. Just like a USB cable, you either get a connection or you don't.

This HDMI cable will deliver the same performance

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+Direct+-+3'+HDMI+Cable/9343089.p?id=1218088194702&skuId=9343089

as this bizarrely high one

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AudioQuest+-+Vodka+HDMI+Cable+16m/1307068557.p?id=mp1307068557&skuId=1307068557

post-455563-0-66226800-1374886279.jpg

Go to Monoprice.com, buy HDMI cable at whatever length you need, enjoy your digital signal and savings over the ripoff cables you'd buy locally

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I didn't pay the ridiculous premium for Monster cables.

I found a pair of Rocket Fish ones for $16.00 on ebay so I snagged them up.

Thanks again, much appreciated.  :)

Monoprice has excellent cables, with these guys there are different quality HDMI cables, with variety of connector quality and guage of wire. but even with the lowest price HDMI cables I have work excellent

I have 1 Monster branded HDMI cable, that was given to me, and I notice no difference in that cable to a MP cable.

I did buy a dollar store HDMI cable 1.5ft it cost me $1.50 and it didn't work from my Blue Ray to my AV Receiver, but worked when I plugged it in directly to the TV.

so I stay away from dollar store cables.

nope. never was. I'm retired and bought the monster cables. Gold and silver conduct electricity better then normal metals. Hence.. this is why AMD and Intel use silver for conduction in their processors.

others in this thread= Epic fail. :p

So you're comparing heat dissipation of a CPU to the useless gold plating on overpriced HDMI cables?

• Like 2

So you're comparing heat dissipation of a CPU to the useless gold plating on overpriced HDMI cables?

Well, he clearly knows nothing about HDMI cables, so its no surprise he's using a nonsense apples/oranges comparison to justify his wasteful spending to himself.

Here's a good article for people who are interested in scientific fact and not marketing hype.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20056502-1/why-all-hdmi-cables-are-the-same/

I bought a HDMI cable from Newark/element14/Farnell for $2 AUD. Works perfectly (and is physically good quality too). I've seen them for $70 AUD at some stores - what a rip off.

HDMI is a digital technology, not analogue. It won't suffer from interference like a HD analogue (AV) interface would. Gold plating probably makes no difference.

Any 4K display users care to share their experience?

I look at it this way: USB 3.0 can transfer 100MB/s over a cable under $5 without gold plating and quad shielding. 4K resolution probably won't reach 100MB/s.

If your cable is required to be on a constant angle, or plugged in and out all the time, you probably don't want it to be so cheap. Cheaper cables are of cheaper construct. But if you are using it to plug in a laptop, then make a note of how big the connector is, as it may block some ports. Anything you need to think about in buying a HDMI cable is to do with the practicality. 

As concerning signal, it is never a concern. 

• Like 1

some of the cost factor has to do with the EMI shielding weaved into the hdmi cable. i was involved in some of the qualification process for hdmi cable 2 years back and the price range differ significantly depending on the complexity of the shielding requirement defined by customers. but as some of the prior posts mentioned, most users will not detect any differences when used under most normal condition.

Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I didn't pay the ridiculous premium for Monster cables.

I found a pair of Rocket Fish ones for $16.00 on ebay so I snagged them up.

Thanks again, much appreciated.  :)

Rocket Fish is nice should not have any problem with them.

There's no such thing as an 'HDMI 1.4' cable. Version numbers apply to devices, not cables. In fact since 2010 or 2011 HDMI.Org has prohibited the use of version numbers on cables because it was just a marketing lie that confused consumers.

And another endorsement for Monoprice cables here, they work great and have a solid warranty if they ever give you grief.

Thank you for pointing out the cable version fallacy. I thought they were capable of higher bandwidth or something.

For the Monster Cable guy. Enjoy your retirement and A/V system with your overpriced cables as that was your EPIC FAIL not ours. My 65" Panasonic VT60 doesn't complain about my $10 cable. I guess I should have spent $$$ for cable since it was an expensive TV right?

I guess I am even more of an EPIC FAIL on my A/V Equipment too. I didn't buy the double platinum triple bonded Pixie Dust infused speaker wires that goes to my OMB 28 speakers but I will make sure that the next time Pixies will be harmed in the making of my super expensive speaker wires and connectors.

I spend the money where it counts and that is in the equipment. I have learned a long time ago about cables and their costs. In the Analogue days there were differences in cheap copper wire and good copper wire. Distance was more of a determining factor than anything else.

You said you had issues with a cheap cables and as I posted there are sometimes cheap cables that don't work, out of phase, handshaking issues. But just like expensive cars they don't always crank up even when you think they should for the money you just paid. It just hurts less for those of us who drive beaters :)

Going too cheap can get you loose fitting connectors (if you are unlucky)

Other than that, image quality is identical.

EDIT: You might as well get HDMI 1.4 cables. That should future proof you a bit.

HDMI Cables don't have versions. they are HDMI Cables, the ports/internal hardware is version 1, 1.3, 1.4 and so on, but the cable is the same. in fact the HDMI alliance or whatever they're called have demanded any HDMI makers to not put version numbers on the cables anymore. 

a HDMI cables is a HDMI cable, it works or it don't if it doesn't it's broken. 

HDMI Cables don't have versions. they are HDMI Cables, the ports/internal hardware is version 1, 1.3, 1.4 and so on, but the cable is the same. in fact the HDMI alliance or whatever they're called have demanded any HDMI makers to not put version numbers on the cables anymore.

a HDMI cables is a HDMI cable, it works or it don't if it doesn't it's broken.

Scroll up ;)

Personally I think he went too cheap. If he was serious about getting the best picture quality he would have bought these:

http://www.rakuten.com/retail/product.asp?sku=249359526&listingid=283506291

Yeah he did. Also need one of those Android 4.1 VERTU 50K phones too. Because when you have too much money what is 50K for an outdated phone anyways?

• Like 1

In all seriousness though it's great that we have forums and people who bring a bit of spice to a rather bland topic. From the BBS(Showing how old I am ) to current forums I have always discovered or learned something new reading through them. Yes often times people speak completely out of their arse but when you have a group of like minded people speaking intelligently on a topic you can discover something you didn't know. 

To the guy who who purchased the overpriced MONSTER cable. :) Cheers. It's all in good fun. 

Anything below 1.2 spec really don't matter. almost ANY HDMI cable bought anywhere will work fine, or likely be crumbly due to old manufacturing.. With 1.3+ you should consider the inner conductor gauge. The lower the gauge number the better, as its a physically larger conductor which can carry more data. HDMI is a digital signal - its there or its not, its not like analog cables that actually carried the analog data and could have EMI/RF interference. Therefore nothing really improves the signal, its there or its a black screen/blocky like satellite in the rain.

This is super-generalized, but above 1.3 spec certain pins are used that weren't before, and certain pins have a minimum acceptable gauge to actually carry the digital data successfully. A V1.4 cable will work fine for everything, where a 1.2 cable will be super crappy on a 3D TV.

You'll find jiving your gear (all from the same manufacturer/all same HDMI standard) will have more of an effect than what cable you use. Look up HDMI spec on the net, find the specific rating spec for the standard you want to use/your gear is, then find an HDMI cable to suit. My personal favorite is a shielded monster optical cable. Talk into marketing on mis-conceptions. (only thing that can interfere with optical is another light source at the same frequency)

If you don't care $3 cables from DX work excellently for everything up to 3D.

I bought a 24 gauge HDMI cable from monoprice.com, a 25 foot cable, and it's a thick puppy! It works great; excellent signal quality.  And it cost me $21.42.  I will never buy such types of equipment or accessories from anywhere else.  Monoprice.com.  Visit and you will know.

Marshall - I am sure when you started this thread that you didn't think you would get this much info huh? :)

Rocket Fish is Best Buy's Retail Brand. They went to China like everyone else and said hey "I want ma cables and I want them cheap" and could you throw in a nicer box so we can charge more please :)

Yes, I was surprised at the wealth of information provided, but that's a good thing. :)  Thanks again everyone.

Yeah, I'm aware they're a Best Buy brand and they have a pretty box but will work the same as most HDMI cables. I just couldn't pass-up $16.00 for an 8ft brand new, unopened.