HDMI cables quality

hdmi

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46 NinjaGinger

NinjaGinger

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2013 - 00:34

Cheapo HDMI cable from PC to Monitor, Cheapo HDMI cable from PC to Telly. No Problems. Used to think about price but then I got wise.

#47 srbeen

srbeen

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2013 - 00:56

Anything below 1.2 spec really don't matter. almost ANY HDMI cable bought anywhere will work fine, or likely be crumbly due to old manufacturing.. With 1.3+ you should consider the inner conductor gauge. The lower the gauge number the better, as its a physically larger conductor which can carry more data. HDMI is a digital signal - its there or its not, its not like analog cables that actually carried the analog data and could have EMI/RF interference. Therefore nothing really improves the signal, its there or its a black screen/blocky like satellite in the rain.

This is super-generalized, but above 1.3 spec certain pins are used that weren't before, and certain pins have a minimum acceptable gauge to actually carry the digital data successfully. A V1.4 cable will work fine for everything, where a 1.2 cable will be super crappy on a 3D TV.

You'll find jiving your gear (all from the same manufacturer/all same HDMI standard) will have more of an effect than what cable you use. Look up HDMI spec on the net, find the specific rating spec for the standard you want to use/your gear is, then find an HDMI cable to suit. My personal favorite is a shielded monster optical cable. Talk into marketing on mis-conceptions. (only thing that can interfere with optical is another light source at the same frequency)

If you don't care $3 cables from DX work excellently for everything up to 3D.

#48 +devHead

devHead

Get Off The Bandwagon, Put Down The Handbook

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 521

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:18

I bought a 24 gauge HDMI cable from monoprice.com, a 25 foot cable, and it's a thick puppy! It works great; excellent signal quality.  And it cost me $21.42.  I will never buy such types of equipment or accessories from anywhere else.  Monoprice.com.  Visit and you will know.

#49 mrmomoman

mrmomoman

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:32

Marshall - I am sure when you started this thread that you didn't think you would get this much info huh? :)

Rocket Fish is Best Buy's Retail Brand. They went to China like everyone else and said hey "I want ma cables and I want them cheap" and could you throw in a nicer box so we can charge more please :)

#50 OP Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:45

Yes, I was surprised at the wealth of information provided, but that's a good thing. :)  Thanks again everyone.

Yeah, I'm aware they're a Best Buy brand and they have a pretty box but will work the same as most HDMI cables. I just couldn't pass-up $16.00 for an 8ft brand new, unopened.