windows phone nokia

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:44

I am still on the fence about upgrading from my 920. Gdr3 comes out at the end of the year which allows 1080p screens and quad core processors. do I get the 1020 now or wait for a quadcore  1080p version later.

I know what you mean but I plan to stick to my 920 for a little while longer.   Hopefully the 1020's successor will include a smaller camera that doesn't protrude plus whatever other goodies Nokia add to their next generation Lumias.  The 920's camera is still in the top 3 (along with the 1020 and the 925) so there's no hurry to upgrade.

#17 efjay

efjay

Neowinian

Posted 29 July 2013 - 17:51

I know what you mean but I plan to stick to my 920 for a little while longer.   Hopefully the 1020's successor will include a smaller camera that doesn't protrude plus whatever other goodies Nokia add to their next generation Lumias.  The 920's camera is still in the top 3 (along with the 1020 and the 925) so there's no hurry to upgrade.

Smaller hump means smaller sensor which mean loss in picture quality and that wont be a 1020 successor. If you want a smaller hump you wont get the 1020 quality.

#18 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 29 July 2013 - 18:36

Smaller hump means smaller sensor which mean loss in picture quality and that wont be a 1020 successor. If you want a smaller hump you wont get the 1020 quality.

Perhaps but there's more to the camera than just the sensor and they've already reduced it's size quite a bit from the 8080.  I would expect them to refine the design further in the next iteration.

#19 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 29 July 2013 - 18:39

You should familiarize yourself with real photography then. It's incredibly obviously clear they aren't anywhere near DSLR quality. They look about like I expected. Mostly overhyped. In good lighting they do look good, but in most shots they don't look much different than most other camera phone pictures to me. The macro shots look pretty good though.

I am not saying 1020 is DSLR worthy but saying its photos looks no better than other phone cameras is just...nuts.

#20 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 29 July 2013 - 18:42

I'll be coming back to this thread in 6 months to a year, just to see how the usability is, what it's like to live with, upgradeability etc...

(As I'll be elligable to upgrade in May)

#21 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 29 July 2013 - 18:47

You should familiarize yourself with real photography then. It's incredibly obviously clear they aren't anywhere near DSLR quality. They look about like I expected. Mostly overhyped. In good lighting they do look good, but in most shots they don't look much different than most other camera phone pictures to me. The macro shots look pretty good though.

Although I wholeheartedly agree, it's not a fair comparison :laugh: 

#22 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 29 July 2013 - 19:20

I am not saying 1020 is DSLR worthy but saying its photos looks no better than other phone cameras is just...nuts.

No? I mean, I'm not saying it's not one of the top smartphone cameras, but it still hasn't pulled away from "camera phone" quality. Yes, detail is there with the high megapixel, but there's a hell of a lot more to a picture than just detail. The rest is still mostly on par with the iPhone or S4.

Although I wholeheartedly agree, it's not a fair comparison :laugh:

Well, I agree it's not, but the way I've heard people talk about it they really do think it is.

#23 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 29 July 2013 - 19:27

No? I mean, I'm not saying it's not one of the top smartphone cameras, but it still hasn't pulled away from "camera phone" quality. Yes, detail is there with the high megapixel, but there's a hell of a lot more to a picture than just detail. The rest is still mostly on par with the iPhone or S4.

Well, I agree it's not, but the way I've heard people talk about it they really do think it is.

Spot on... it' still a smartphone!  But they really make marketing big, just think "OMG MY PHONE HAS MOAR MEGAPIXELS THAN YOUR dSLR IT ROXXERS JOOR BOXXERS" but fail to realize it's 5MP using up-scaling technology (a rather good one too)

#24 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 29 July 2013 - 19:35

It's obviously not as good as a DSLR camera but it's as good, if not better, than most point-and-shoot cameras available now. With that said, it's quite an impressive feat considering the fact that it's just a smartphone camera. This shot approaches (low-end) DSLR quality though. I think you can agree with me on that.

#25 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 29 July 2013 - 19:40

Tried one out at the store today.  The protrusion is much smaller than it looked in the pictures, and still significantly lighter than the 920.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the 925 but it did give me pause.  Its not SLR, but seems another level above the phone competition, upscaling or not.

#26 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 29 July 2013 - 19:46

It's obviously not as good as a DSLR camera but it's as good, if not better, than most point-and-shoot cameras available now. With that said, it's quite an impressive feat considering the fact that it's just a smartphone camera. This shot approaches (low-end) DSLR quality though. I think you can agree with me on that.

I'd have to disagree with that.  A quality point-and-shoot, such as the nicer Canon models, will do much much better with managing the light.

I'm with AJerman in that those pictures are quite disappointing.  When the sky is bright, the pictures are horribly washed out and a ton of detail is lost in the bright areas.

I have a Canon point-and-shoot and it produces really nice detail in any lighting.  The 1020 only seems to do well when it's not super bright and not super dark.  The 1020 is a big step up, but phone camers have a very long way to go before it will reach the quality of even a PnS.

#27 Jaybot

Jaybot

Neowinian

Posted 04 August 2013 - 08:09

I took this really nice shot today while hiking. 

http://500px.com/photo/42232494

#28 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 05 August 2013 - 15:26

Nice, looks like a fun day.

#29 L1520

L1520

Neowinian

Posted 06 August 2013 - 20:23

I really want a 1020, but am mid-contract on L920, so I'm considering selling my 920 & getting a used 925 as a go-between till GDR3 & improved specs that will allow - 925 for the lower weight, AMOLED screen, improved battery life & better lens.  Plus GDR2 out the box....Haven't decided yet tho.

#30 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 06 August 2013 - 20:27

Point and shoot at it's best maybe... Busy bokeh, blown highlights, oversaturated. But yeah, a useable shot.

The 1020 is a big step up, but phone camers have a very long way to go before it will reach the quality of even a PnS.

I think we have to look at smartphones as the "what if" scenario. eg: "I forgot my PnS or dSLR, i'll use my phone to somehow capture the moment".