Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:08

Moved Here

#17 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,711 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 20:08

Went to Halfords today.

A nice lady showed me a cheaper version and adviced me a 17" frame would be good for me.  I asked her about the Boardman bike, she said it is expensive but it is worth it as everything from the brakes to the gear system is upgraded.

I asked about helmets and locks too.  Helmets I was advised to find one I like the look of and try it on.  Locks was get a mid-expensive one that is pure metal or thick chain to keep the bike safe.

I think I will take a look at a couple more places but plan to get the Boardman in a month or two - maybe the price will have gone down again making it easier on the wallet.

#18 shirleywright83

shirleywright83

Neowinian

• 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:49

I think it is the most fun sports that helps you with your health and fitness.

#19 r3drum

r3drum

Neowinian

• 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:22

Went to Halfords today.

A nice lady showed me a cheaper version and adviced me a 17" frame would be good for me.  I asked her about the Boardman bike, she said it is expensive but it is worth it as everything from the brakes to the gear system is upgraded.

I hope that was a typo on your part and you actually meant 27" instead. A 17" frame is a kids' bike. I have always found it to be most cost effective to buy a bike with most of the parts you desire on it already. They cost a bit more up front but you save in the long run.

#20 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

• 459 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:37

Looks like a pretty good commuting bike. I ride around on a road bike (2010 Trek 1.2) which I got for a good price at a local bike shop. There are definitely times when I wish I had fatter tires, but overall the small boost in speed is totally worth it for me.

#21 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

• 986 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:37

Yep, I love cycling, and I love my bike!

For commuting and simply getting around town, there is surely no better way to travel - good for the environment, good for your health, what's not to like? ;)

Here is my ride:

06062013_small.jpg

I don't know a great deal about the Boardman, however I would recommend going for a cross or road bike - the lighter frame and skinnier tyres make riding far more enjoyable in my opinion.

Best of luck!