Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:08

Moved Here

#17 OP Sir Topham Hatt

Sir Topham Hatt

A Very Talented Individual

• 6,625 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 20:08

Went to Halfords today.

A nice lady showed me a cheaper version and adviced me a 17" frame would be good for me.  I asked her about the Boardman bike, she said it is expensive but it is worth it as everything from the brakes to the gear system is upgraded.

I asked about helmets and locks too.  Helmets I was advised to find one I like the look of and try it on.  Locks was get a mid-expensive one that is pure metal or thick chain to keep the bike safe.

I think I will take a look at a couple more places but plan to get the Boardman in a month or two - maybe the price will have gone down again making it easier on the wallet.

#18 shirleywright83

shirleywright83

Neowinian

• 13 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 10:49

I think it is the most fun sports that helps you with your health and fitness.

#19 r3drum

r3drum

Neowinian

• 30 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:22

Went to Halfords today.

A nice lady showed me a cheaper version and adviced me a 17" frame would be good for me.  I asked her about the Boardman bike, she said it is expensive but it is worth it as everything from the brakes to the gear system is upgraded.

I hope that was a typo on your part and you actually meant 27" instead. A 17" frame is a kids' bike. I have always found it to be most cost effective to buy a bike with most of the parts you desire on it already. They cost a bit more up front but you save in the long run.

#20 Salutary7

Salutary7

Neowinian

• 459 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:37

Looks like a pretty good commuting bike. I ride around on a road bike (2010 Trek 1.2) which I got for a good price at a local bike shop. There are definitely times when I wish I had fatter tires, but overall the small boost in speed is totally worth it for me.

#21 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

• 957 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 11:37

Yep, I love cycling, and I love my bike!

For commuting and simply getting around town, there is surely no better way to travel - good for the environment, good for your health, what's not to like? ;)

Here is my ride:

06062013_small.jpg

I don't know a great deal about the Boardman, however I would recommend going for a cross or road bike - the lighter frame and skinnier tyres make riding far more enjoyable in my opinion.

Best of luck!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!