Windows Phone 8.1 / 9.0 UI concept

[youtube]tRVC4BKWaP8[/youtube]

Found this Windows Phone 8.1/9.9 UI concept on youtube and it looks really good and wish Microsoft would add some of this features!

I like a number of the ideas in that, would be cool to see them in action.  The idea of having controls inside tiles is something I was talking about for some time since they introduced bigger tiles, like in Windows 8.1.   If you set one to it's max, extra large, tile size it should have controls and be more like a widget as well, that would be cool.

The integrated search is also something I expect to see, look at search in Windows 8.1, I expect that to make it's way to WP 8.1 as well.

It's a nice concept but 4K won't happen. 4K can be used on TV/monitors. Unless the phones get 4K output so you can hook it up to the 4K monitor for desktop use instead of holding the phone to type.

If phones have 4K, You will have hard time to see the tiny icons all over the screen .. you will have to zoom in/out.

You would need a six inch phone to use half of what they showed. The interactive UI elements are way too small. 

That was my first thought too.  Some of the ideas are nice but some like split screen and some of the gestures just wouldn't work on a phone or would clash with existing gestures.  The guy behind the video seems to think that higher-res screens make all this possible but it's screen and finger size that limits what can be done.

That was my first thought too.  Some of the ideas are nice but some like split screen and some of the gestures just wouldn't work on a phone or would clash with existing gestures.  The guy behind the video seems to think that higher-res screens make all this possible but it's screen and finger size that limits what can be done.

If/When we do get phablets, 5.5" and up to 6.5" etc, then the snap idea should be possible.

If/When we do get phablets, 5.5" and up to 6.5" etc, then the snap idea should be possible.

Even then I don't think it would be a good idea.  WP relies on lots of horizontal swiping and it would be a real pain to accidentally activate a notification screen when you just want to navigate through something like a pivot control. Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of adding features that only work on certain sized screens - especially given that phablets are just a niche.

ubuntu does edge gestures on mobile http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge

Yes, I assume that's where the idea came from.

Way too much things happening on the screen, needs more negative spacing. Also, the interactive live tiles sounds good, but there's some issues with it. The buttons on the tiles may get in the way of the users when they want to open the application. Pulling down on most mobile OS shows the notifications center, not closing the current app.

Overall, it's a good start for a concept, but it's way to cluster and the elements on it are too small.

As any other concepts out there, this one has some good ideas like the quick launch and the notification center accesible on the right-hand side.

Some others are just too much for the UI, which is one of WP biggest strentghs.

Even then I don't think it would be a good idea.  WP relies on lots of horizontal swiping and it would be a real pain to accidentally activate a notification screen when you just want to navigate through something like a pivot control. Also, I'm not sure I like the idea of adding features that only work on certain sized screens - especially given that phablets are just a niche.

Yes, I assume that's where the idea came from.

It looks like it came from Win8. All the edge gestures in the concept are functionally identical to the Win8 counterpart. Ubuntu either independently came up with the idea or drew inspiration from Win8 (I'm just guessing). Either way, I like the direction the OSes are moving in.

I still think the folders concept breaks the Windows Phone START Ux. Folders would be a better idea for all apps or best left out.

A good application launcher shouldn't be burying things, or hiding them from users.

• 2 weeks later...

But who is going to buy those? A phone is a phone because it is so portable. Good luck trying to fit a 6.5" phone in your pocket! Even if you could, you would look absolutely funny talking to a brick like that.

But who is going to buy those? A phone is a phone because it is so portable. Good luck trying to fit a 6.5" phone in your pocket! Even if you could, you would look absolutely funny talking to a brick like that.

Well, I'm not trying to look at them as a phone, more as a even smaller tablet that is easier to make calls on.  I think the best way to do it, and I've seen this done, is to use Bluetooth for calls, not actually hold up the device to your ear.   That said, for someone like me who can't see that well, even my 4.3" 8X doesn't seem to cut it really.  I'd be interesting in trying out a 5" device next, and I don't make that many phone calls compared to the rest of the tasks I do on my 8X right now.

• Like 1