Why is Ram usage so high on windows 8 ?

I opened 20 tabs in IE11 and already my 8gb of RAM is giving a warning ... why ?

When I start up my computer it uses 3.5gb of RAM by default... this is insane.

I think most browsers have gone to using multiple instances when you use tabs. Something to do with preventing one instance from crashing your browser.

Something like that. I get 6 instances on chrome with 6 tabs.the first one usually runs 150mb itself  

Post a screenshot of task manager on the details tab sorted by Memory Usage. Something sounds very wrong, I'm on Windows 8, 8GB RAM, multiple applications open (Visual Studio, Sublime Text, Chrome + 35 Tabs) and it's using less than 3GB.

An operating system using most of your memory (for caching, etc.) is good, unused memory is wasted memory... but if it's showing error messages something is wrong.

16 Tabs - and you can see the other small tabs I have open.. I hate how huge the default usage is...it is enough to make me want to return to windows 7. I Need to have multiple tabs open most times ...

post-302840-0-83480500-1374964810.jpg

I think something is badly wrong with your IE. I ran Chrome and IE with 15 tabs each, and while IE uses much more RAM than Chrome did, it's nowhere near your level of RAM usage.

post-350302-0-10145700-1374965426.png

I think something is badly wrong with your IE. I ran Chrome and IE with 15 tabs each, and while IE uses much more RAM than Chrome did, it's nowhere near your level of RAM usage.

attachicon.gifUntitled.png

what are those chrome processes at the bottom? are they the tabs?

Try to open different websites in those tabs. Some sites can make browsers use lots of RAM or crash. If other sites keep IE using that amount of RAM, something is defitinely wrong. Try disabling plugins one by one and see if this solves it.

I see you are using AdBlock for IE (I guess thats the AdBlock Plus Engine process for). Disable it as well.

Yep. Chrome splits nearly everything into a process (which makes it quite stable in case of crashes). For five tabs (one with Flash):

WE56vVC.png

I opened lot of heavy content websites with 35 tabs, but could hardly get till 1.3 GB memory usage.

IE11 RTM hasn't been released yet, if you are running Windows 8.1 or developer preview build of IE11 than it must be some bug.

I would suggest reverting it to IE10.

Make sure that all the Microsoft updates have been applied.

Also it could be something to do with the addons/toolbars that are loaded with the browser.

k5sk.jpg

Yep. Chrome splits nearly everything into a process (which makes it quite stable in case of crashes). For five tabs (one with Flash):

WE56vVC.png

oh ok. yeah ie does the same. if a tab crashes,it doesnt bring the whole house down. same with plugins.

vcfan, on 28 Jul 2013 - 00:04, said:

Those processes at the bottom for Chrome are all my addons and extensions. I think the tabs will be stored at the top if I clicked the arrow.

Depends on the content he is loading in the IE tabs.

He'd have to be loading some incredibly intense sites. The ones I opened up were quite heavy on pictures and videos.

Okay maybe it were some plug inns..I disabled most of them - leaving adblock running - have 15 tabs up and with a few having flash running in the background.. At 1.3gb for explore.. I may need to revert to IE10 but I'm on windows 8.1 so that will be hard. I think.

Windows 8 uses quite a bit less than Windows 7. That is probably a memory leak in the IE11 beta.

I'd say people suggesting it's a memory leak don't understand fully what a memory leak is.

In this case it sounds like one of your plugins was being pants, might still be something mucking with it or that hasn't extracted cleanly.

Totally remove the plugins you disabled, I'm willing to bet that it will return to normal levels if/when you do.