• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:03

Nice review

#17 OP mightyzero

mightyzero

Neowinian

• 12 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:08

Good points in the review but I disagree about the screen being good quality.

I'll have to do some more research to better understand the difference in LCD technology. My experience with 8X lasted all of 20 minutes while in a TMo shop. I couldn't get over the purple color, longish feeling body, and lack of storage (of course it has the same storage as my 925, so clearly I've changed my mind on how important that is to me). I appreciate the criticism.

#18 Nilus

Nilus

Neowinian

• 244 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 18:30

I'll have to do some more research to better understand the difference in LCD technology. My experience with 8X lasted all of 20 minutes while in a TMo shop. I couldn't get over the purple color, longish feeling body, and lack of storage (of course it has the same storage as my 925, so clearly I've changed my mind on how important that is to me). I appreciate the criticism.

It is most noticeable with text. Look at the text on a website for example and it looks kind of blurred/pixellated.  The Lumia 925 has a screen of 334 ppi, which is more than even the iPhone 5s 'Retina' display at 326ppi.

Unfortunately because of the PenTile screen and how the pixels don't line up, that ppi is pretty much wasted because things still look blurry :/

I am amazed that on a 'flagship' phone with a premium price tag they use such a poor screen :/  That's my only criticism though, it's a great device otherwise.

#19 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,603 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:03

I'm debating the 8X vs the 925 currently.  I prefer the blue over the white, and neither have an SD slot.

The biggest thing for me, coming from a Focus, is that I still prefer my phones to be 'one-handed'.  The small increase from 4.3" to 4.5" screen size in practice means you are now dealing with a two handed device. (And I have fairly large hands).  The 8X positions the screen in the usable 90 deg arc of the thumb.  With the 925 I must trade over to my left hand and use my index finger, unless I want to precariously shift positions one handed (which is somehow made harder because of the camera bump).  I also like how the curve and length of the 8x spreads the weight over all of your hand vs the boxy 925's two edge pressure points.  I find the material textures of both devices to be good, though the sharp edge and rougher surface of the 8X doesn't feel as premium as the curved aluminium (though it does transmit more heat) and backside of the 925.

As noted previously, I hate the white.  Why TMO didn't option one other color boggles me.  The saving grace is that it does look dead sexy when sitting on a table.  Thanks to a helpful link found here, I'll have it painted if I keep it.

The camera is fantastic and soundly better than the 8X, both for the hardware and apps.  Taking several low light ones in succession yields a consistently better focused image.  Unfortunately, there is an odd color shift with the 925 in video mode that I haven't had on the 8X.  The 8X also wins for front camera/skyping by a bit for me.

Haptic is pretty weak and dare say cheap (buzzy) on the 925 in comparison as well.

I was also surprised by how much more I enjoy the Dolby audio enhancements, Beats has nothing on it (though I think the amp in the 8X is a bit better).  I don't believe either comes with headphones, not that I'd use them.  Pretty basic kit (no stores around here even have the charging plates yet).

I agree with Nilus to an extent.  I've wanted another OLED display, but I was surprised that the 8X does generally seem sharper, even with the lower ppi.  I wouldn't go as far to say its night and day however.

#20 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,728 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:45

With regards to the lack of wireless charging on the 925, please keep in mind there's a whole range of Wireless charging shells available very in-expensively from Nokia, in a range of colours.

I'm getting a Black 32gb Lumia 925 on Thursday, and my red charging shell just arrived. Can't wait.

Shown below on the wireless charging stand.

818JocNPSHL._SL1500_.jpg

#21 Mobius Enigma

Mobius Enigma

Neowinian Senior

• 1,944 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:45

Good points in the review but I disagree about the screen being good quality.

They've used a PenTile screen which has ruined the whole experience. Text is fuzzy, although the vibrance of colours and deepness of blacks is very good.  The screen has a very high PPI but you'd never be able to tell because the PenTile screen is so fuzzy it looks pixellated and overall looks like a very cheap screen.

For this reason alone i'd return it if I could. I have actually boxed it back up ready to sell and have now gone back to my HTC 8X - hold the two phones up together and the difference in screen quality is like night and day, although the blacks aren't as deep on the 8X as it is standard LCD.

Don't do it, you have been spoiled by the screen on the 8X! 

Be careful not to 'hate' or 'compare' the Pentile used on the 928/925/1020 to other displays you might have encountered.  Because they are only 1280x768 and use solid square sub-pixels it does not have the moire/mesh, pixel borders or the fuzzy color bleeding problems that you see on other Pentile displays.

If you look at older Pentile layouts, you are correct that they are sometimes fuzzy.  Also if you look at the newer 1080p Pentile displays, they are sacrificing display quality to get to the 1080p resolution on smaller screens.  A good example would be the Galaxy S4 that uses a Diamond Pentile layout that has less solid lighting per sub pixel and creates more dark space between pixels creating a visible 'LCD Mesh'.

Nokia has combined the right era of technology with the right set of filters to get one of the best quality displays you will find on any phone, even though it is a lower resolution screen.  The blacks are amazing, it is easy to read in sunlight, and colors are crisp and solid without the traditional 'LCD Mesh' between pixels.  

Right now in sub 5.5" screen technology, pushing to higher resolutions is a trade off in quality, as the sub pixel lighting is not as consistent or bright as a lower resolution screen, making the 1280x720/1280x768 the current sweet spot for maximizing clarity and quality.

Even if you go back to the older Nokia 920 display, it is a step backwards, with less solid colors and a visible between pixel mesh - even though, in theory the display on the 920 should be better.

On any phone, truly go to a store where you can compare them hand in hand looking at the same sample pictures/websites. 

I also had reservations about the AMOLED in the 928/925 knowing it would be pentile, and I was truly amazed with quality of the display on the first test 928 we received.

As for your specific encounter, I might suggest you either have a faulty phone, or have put a bad screen protector on the screen that often does diffuse the display.  I have an HTC 8X, HTC One, S4, Nokia 920, and Nokia 928 sitting on my desk.  The 928 is the best looking screen out of these units, especially if you are doing any work that is mapping pixel to pixel, like an RDP session to a 1280x786 desktop, the 928 has far crisper and more solid pixels than the HTC 8X, 920 or even the S4 when doing RDP at their respective native resolutions.

If you are just finding the 'text' fuzzy, you might just not like how WP8 does its monochromatic version of cleartype font rendering.

#22 OP mightyzero

mightyzero

Neowinian

• 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:55

I'm debating the 8X vs the 925 currently.  I prefer the blue over the white, and neither have an SD slot.

Considering blue is my favorite color, I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I actually saw the 8X... it's purple... not blue. I'm not really a big fan of white phones either, so I immediately went out and purchased a rubberized snap on case that is black. You wouldn't even know the phone was white on the back :)

I've noticed on all the Nokia's I've looked at (or owned) that the haptic feedback is week. My HTC HD7 had a much better buzz both when touching the screen and when the ringer was turned off and vibrating.

I have noticed a little color shift when taking video... I'm headed to an outdoor concert next week so I'll have some more time to test this out.

I think either phone you decide to purchase you'll be happy with (I know I was pretty dang close to getting an 8X myself).

#23 OP mightyzero

mightyzero

Neowinian

• 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:03

I'm getting a Black 32gb Lumia 925 on Thursday, and my red charging shell just arrived. Can't wait.

Shown below on the wireless charging stand.

That's almost identical to the non-wireless charging case I purchased. (you'll have to excuse the horrible picture taken by the 810 :/  )

WP_20130728_002_edited.jpg

#24 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,728 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:39

Actually mate, its substantially different. Your case clearly wraps around more, almost entirely covering the aluminium edges. You can tell by the buttons in your photo.

With the exception of the corners, the Nokia charging shell just covers the back, leaving the aluminium (the 925's most aesthetically pleasing feature if you ask me) on full view.

Add to that it's only around £20-25, and gives you wireless charging (that's what the 3 contacts on the back of the 925 are for you know hehe), and protects the back from scratches, I think it's a no-brainer.

#25 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,603 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:19

Considering blue is my favorite color, I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I actually saw the 8X... it's purple... not blue. I'm not really a big fan of white phones either, so I immediately went out and purchased a rubberized snap on case that is black. You wouldn't even know the phone was white on the back :)

My wife's is definitely blue.  Maybe a production issue? (I was looking at the link again and noticed the one in the title video is purple.  Odd.)

#26 OP mightyzero

mightyzero

Neowinian

• 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:06

My wife's is definitely blue.  Maybe a production issue? (I was looking at the link again and noticed the one in the title video is purple.  Odd.)

I'm glad you mentioned that because some of the first video reviews I saw the phone definitely looked more blue than purple... thus my disappointment when I saw one in person. I'm with you... probably a production issue

#27 OP mightyzero

mightyzero

Neowinian

• 12 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:25

Actually mate, its substantially different. Your case clearly wraps around more, almost entirely covering the aluminium edges. You can tell by the buttons in your photo.

You're absolutely correct, my case wraps around the sides obscuring the silver, aluminum binding (the top & bottom is exposed). I saw one of the charging backs in the Tmo store and they wanted $35 for that and another $60 for the station. I decided to hold off on the wireless charging for now... Instead, I went to Amazon and bought 4 different cases for $5-8 each just to try some different options.

#28 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

• 7,603 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:50

I was in the store today and the 8X was purple as well.  Maybe only the 8GB models came in the true blue and the 16GB are the purple ones?  If so, thats right up there with the TMO shenanigans.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!