earth arctic ocean webcam meltwater ponds snow & ice data center

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 15:37

Instead of snow and ice whirling on the wind, a foot-deep aquamarine lake now sloshes around a webcam stationed at the North Pole.

The meltwater lake started forming July 13, following two weeks of warm weather in the high Arctic. In early July, temperatures were 2 to 5 degrees Fahrenheit higher than average over much of the Arctic Ocean, according to the National Snow & Ice Data Center.

Meltwater ponds sprout more easily on young, thin ice, which now accounts for more than half of the Arctic's sea ice. The ponds link up across the smooth surface of the ice, creating a network that traps heat from the sun. Thick and wrinkly multi-year ice, which has survived more than one freeze-thaw season, is less likely sport a polka-dot network of ponds because of its rough, uneven surface.

July is the melting month in the Arctic, when sea ice shrinks fastest. An Arctic cyclone, which can rival a hurricane in strength, is forecast for this week, which will further fracture the ice and churn up warm ocean water, hastening the summer melt. The Arctic hit a record low summer ice melt last year on Sept. 16, 2012, the smallest recorded since satellites began tracking the Arctic ice in the 1970s.  

source

#2 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:25

Just a question for you science guys, but other than rising ocean levels, what other effects will this have? Does a pole have to be icy and cold or can it be warm?

#3 COKid

COKid

Neowinian Senior

• 3,019 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:36

Just a question for you science guys, but other than rising ocean levels, what other effects will this have? Does a pole have to be icy and cold or can it be warm?

Are you actually aware of the long-term consequences of rising ocean levels? This is serious stuff that has already and will to continue to affect millions of people. But the flat-earthers will tell you that global warming doesn't exist or is no big deal.

#4 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:46

Are you actually aware of the long-term consequences of rising ocean levels? 

Yes, I am aware of that. I was mainly interested in the last question.

#5 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 July 2013 - 19:46

Well the climate will change around the globe. Historically Earth isn't supposed to have large standing bodies of Ice. We still fit the definition of an Ice Age

#6 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,888 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 20:49

Florida will disappear -- that may be a good thing.

#7 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• 19,542 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:14

July is the melting month in the Arctic, when sea ice shrinks fastest.

satellites began tracking the Arctic ice in the 1970s

/end thread

#8 Riva

Riva

Neowinian

• 1,466 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:23

Ice also evaporates, so does sea water

#9 TPreston

TPreston

Neowinian Senior

• 2,585 posts
  • OS: Windows 8.1 Enterprise & Server 2012R2/08R2 Datacenter
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 1520

Posted 28 July 2013 - 22:25

/end thread

Exactly! Pesky scientists I mean how the hell do they know Pluto's orbit will be elliptical ? They haven't even seen one complete orbit for all they know it could shoot off to another galaxy before being seen again in a few thousand years.

its not as if there are ways of going into the past and seeing what the climate was like then by digging in the ice or something!

I totally trust people on neowin over the combined work of hundreds of thousands of scientist's all over the world.

I mean there you go! Take that thousands of peer reviewed papers for the last 150 years you've just been proven wrong!

#10 vetJohn S.

John S.

 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

• 19,542 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 28 July 2013 - 23:20

Exactly! Pesky scientists I mean how the hell do they know Pluto's orbit will be elliptical ? They haven't even seen one complete orbit for all they know it could shoot off to another galaxy before being seen again in a few thousand years.

its not as if there are ways of going into the past and seeing what the climate was like then by digging in the ice or something!

I totally trust people on neowin over the combined work of hundreds of thousands of scientist's all over the world.

I mean there you go! Take that thousands of peer reviewed papers for the last 150 years you've just been proven wrong!

right on cue, you never disappoint ;)

Guess that 23 hours of sunlight during the summer solstice is my F-150's fault too.

I have seen much more extensive ponding,’ James Morison, the principal investigator for the North Pole Environmental Observatory told The Atlantic. ‘Because we use wide angle lenses the melt pond looks much bigger than it is.’

Morison also pointed out that a camera 100 meters away showed the ice looking relatively intact. He added that the scale of these images is also quite small.

#11 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 6,000 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 28 July 2013 - 23:25

That's the best thing about Science, things like that happen so often.

#12 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 00:47

It may be. :D

#13 bguy_1986

bguy_1986

Neowinian

• 1,477 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 13:46

I'd rather it be California...

#14 Silpheed2K

Silpheed2K

Neowinian

• 299 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:21

Are you actually aware of the long-term consequences of rising ocean levels? This is serious stuff that has already and will to continue to affect millions of people. But the flat-earthers will tell you that global warming doesn't exist or is no big deal.

The irony of your statement is that the Flat Earth Society actually believes in global warming. It's nice that you bought into that false rhetoric from leaders who lie and deceive people all the time.

http://now.msn.com/f...-climate-change

#15 rfirth

rfirth

Software Engineer

• 4,223 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 620

Posted 31 July 2013 - 05:56

Guess that 23 hours of sunlight during the summer solstice is my F-150's fault too.

I'd say you're thicker than the arctic sea ice... but given last year's record melt, that isn't saying much.

Come on. You're better than this.