ps4 used games drm

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#16 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 31 July 2013 - 18:03

I will buy new games at GS since they are normally priced like every place else. Used games..only a few times if I cannot find it anywhere else. Normally older games tho.

#17 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 31 July 2013 - 19:13

My Halo 3 warthog hasn't shown any signs of wear and tear since 2007. I didn't do a single oil change on it.

Germany engineering?

#18 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 9
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 31 July 2013 - 19:24

I have to admit that every single time i have tried to buy a game at gamestop that the game had been out for a while and i wanted a new copy it has always been an opened box, and i have tried to confront them several times on it and they always tell me that they do it for security to not keep disks in the cases, but when i get a game that is brand new its always a sealed package no problem. I think they just have a lot of crap they are trying to pull on the customer and its really annoying. its this reason that 90% of the games i buy are digital downloads.

#19 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2013 - 19:26

I remember when you could buy used games for half price... or less... at places like Video Game Exchange... now it seems like GameStop wants games to be as close to retail as possible...

#20 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 July 2013 - 19:38

Why do people still go to Gamestop though? I can't remember the last time I bought at retail (2007?)..I always buy from Amazon/Newegg these days. Failing those Target is my preferred local retailer (but hasn't bought a game from them for a long time).

#21 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2013 - 19:42

One of the reasons I refuse to buy games in anything but new condition. I would rather pay $50 for a new game and know the develop got its cut than pay $30 for it used. I can understand why some people don't have that option but Gamestop needs to stop ramming used games down peoples throats. I have had the exact same experience as the article talks about and its not right.

#22 Enron

Enron

Windows for Workgroups

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 31 July 2013 - 23:40

Do car makers bitch about used car dealers?

I hope they develop some kind of car DRM! Maybe they can DRM the keys so when you change ownership of the vehicle, you have to pay $3499 to CarStop.

#23 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2013 - 23:47

Do car makers bitch about used car dealers?

That analogy is just stupid.

Cars are a physical product that depreciates in value as time goes on.  They literally aren't worth as much after you drive one off the lot.  They are used in the sense that product quality deteriorates.

A videogame (and any software) is a bunch of lines of code.  They don't deteriorate, ever.  A disc is certainly a physical medium to hold that data, but you're paying $60 for the data, not the disc.  A new game and a used game are the same exact thing, except devs aren't getting paid.

Now if, perhaps, after one person used a game the next person magically couldn't play a level because it had been used, then you'd have an argument.

#24 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 01 August 2013 - 00:16

That analogy is just stupid.

Cars are a physical product that depreciates in value as time goes on.  They literally aren't worth as much after you drive one off the lot.  They are used in the sense that product quality deteriorates.

A videogame (and any software) is a bunch of lines of code.  They don't deteriorate, ever.  A disc is certainly a physical medium to hold that data, but you're paying $60 for the data, not the disc.  A new game and a used game are the same exact thing, except devs aren't getting paid.

Now if, perhaps, after one person used a game the next person magically couldn't play a level because it had been used, then you'd have an argument.

My point is that once someone buys it, that's it, Dev shouldn't get anything more. Online games then yes, cause of the cost of servers, but a single player game then no! If dev wants to see more money then lower your price of games and watch more people buy them. People will shop around or wait till the price is lower.  BTW how do dev feel about rental shops. MUST really hate them!

#25 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 01 August 2013 - 15:06

My point is that once someone buys it, that's it, Dev shouldn't get anything more. Online games then yes, cause of the cost of servers, but a single player game then no! If dev wants to see more money then lower your price of games and watch more people buy them. People will shop around or wait till the price is lower.  BTW how do dev feel about rental shops. MUST really hate them!

I am fairly certain they receive cuts from rentals.

#26 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 01 August 2013 - 15:14

I have to admit that every single time i have tried to buy a game at gamestop that the game had been out for a while and i wanted a new copy it has always been an opened box, and i have tried to confront them several times on it and they always tell me that they do it for security to not keep disks in the cases, but when i get a game that is brand new its always a sealed package no problem. I think they just have a lot of crap they are trying to pull on the customer and its really annoying. its this reason that 90% of the games i buy are digital downloads.

EB Games are the same. Last time i went there many new games case did show sign of wear. When i asked the guy if the price was reduced because of the broken case he told me that since it was "new" it was sold at full price.

Honestly i don't go to those stores anymore. If i want to buy in a store i go to Future Shop/Best Buy or Wall Mart. All the new games are sealed and brand new. But most of the time these days i buy from Amazon.