usa activision blizzard prepaid card multiplayer online game business model

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,137 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:44

World of Warcraft, the massively popular online video game, has seen 600,000 subscribers leave in three months.

It means a total of nearly two million players have turned off since the start of the year.

Announcing its second quarter results, Activision Blizzard, which makes the dungeons and dragons-style game, said it now had 7.7 million subscribers. At the start of 2013, shortly after expansion pack Mists of Pandria was launched, it boasted 9.6 million. At its peak in October 2010, 12 million people were signed up.

Subscribers pay a fee or buy a prepaid card to enter the Internet-connected game world and take on quests alongside other players.

Despite the steady decline, World of Warcraft is still easily the world's most popular MMOG (massively multiplayer online game). A new in-game store, announced earlier this month and allowing players to buy extra items, may also help shore up subscriber numbers.

Some paid-for online titles have struggled over the last year and dropped their subscription fees, casting doubt over the future of the business model.

more

#2 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• 4,261 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 29 July 2013 - 15:56

Eh not surprised, interests come and go. I doubt it'll be going anywhere any time soon though.. shoot look at EverQuest and Ultima Online, they're still going. WoW's got plenty of life in it yet I would think, just not as big the numbers as it used to be.

#3 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,852 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:00

i used to love playing wow but could not justify pay the fee for a little as i ended up playing after cataclysm, if they would just make it free to play with premium items like pets, armor skins, and other items as such i would play again.

#4 Jason Stillion

Jason Stillion

Neowinian

• 1,346 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:12

Also agree, they may be passed their peak, but feel they will be around for a long time go come. 

#5 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

• 4,789 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 16:15

It's not game over. Just a side effect of becoming a casual game. Doesn't take months to beat all of the content. Many of those will come back when the next expansion comes out, play for a while, and then wait again for another expansion. I leveled from 1 to 90 in 2 weeks and reached the raiding final boss of the time a week later. No reason to play after that.

#6 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,597 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:28

World of Kung Fu Panda and World of Pokemon lost 2 000 000 players.

World of warcraft doesn't exist anymore so it can't lose any player.

#7 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 11,528 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:32

Not surprised,the whole cross realm interactivity has made SOME parts of the game laggy to the point of unuseable

#8 Nagisan

Nagisan

Neowinian Senior

• 5,137 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:32

World of Kung Fu Panda and World of Pokemon lost 2 000 000 players.

World of warcraft doesn't exist anymore so it can't lose any player.

FYI, Pandarens were in the Warcraft lore more than 5 years before Kung Fu Panda was released....

That being said, WoW is not "Game Over" yet, but it is definitely declining. I can see Blizzard making it F2P with limitations or with an added in-game store eventually, the declining player base will eventually push it towards that type of business model....but I think that's still a few years off.

#9 Ph1b3r0pt1c

Ph1b3r0pt1c

Neowinian

• 425 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:53

I have mixed feelings about this. I played this game since the origional beta, and logged 7 years total, and right now have 8 lvl 90, with full raid gear. I cannot now, bring  myself to re-sub my subscription, and everyone I have played with has quit also. I cannot wait for the next big mmo from blizzard though.

#10 +TCLN Ryster

TCLN Ryster

Evil Teddy Rules!

• 5,731 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 20:58

I've referred to it as World of Snorecraft for a while now...

#11 dead.cell

dead.cell

My Body My Temple

• 10,035 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:06

I have a deep love for World of Warcraft and all the memories I shared on there (including with my ex-fiance... ouch), but the game just hasn't aged well, especially by comparison to what's out now. Granted some of the other games might be a bit more shallow today, World of Warcraft hasn't really added depth to their existing infrastructure so you end up hitting a wall if you're a long time player (and arguably even as a new player since old content is still old).

Anyway, I hope the game goes free to play sometime down the road. Maybe then I'd actually play here and there, but as it stands, $15 + expansions is just a bit over the top just to get on and mess around in a video game.

Until then, they're going to keep losing players. I also really really dislike the talent builds today; seems like the "streamlining" helped them to balance the game easier so that it can sit on the back burner rather than trying to implement something interesting.

#12 Garnet H.

Garnet H.

astropheed

• 1,635 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:14

I've managed to somehow avoid the game altogether. I could have the thing for free as so many people offer to buy my sub, give me a geared max level and tons of gold *just* so I'll play with them, but I can't bring myself to it. I see the addiction in them, it's not so bad now, but It used to be literally insane.

#13 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

• 1,724 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:25

still leading the MMO world by far, has the highest number of subs than any other MMO game so I guess they still got something

#14 Ambroos

Ambroos

Neowinian Senior

• 6,031 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z2

Posted 29 July 2013 - 21:32

I really, really enjoyed Burning Crusade, also enjoyed Wrath of the Lich King quite much, but Cataclysm really killed it for me. With all the dungeon finder and raid finder cross-realm stuff all of the community feeling was just gone. I loved picking your own teammates, flying out to dungeons and summoning others. Even though I progressed really slow it was just a lot more fun. Now you just hit "find raid", breeze through something that's way too easy while half of your team isn't even trying, get loot, leave and do the same again.

#15 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,905 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:04

I agree, they have completely killed the social aspect of this game, removed any challenge it ever had and even ruined the immersion of the world with flying mounts and portals. When I first started playing years ago the world felt huge, almost endless. There was so much to explore and it was actually dangerous to go out in the world. Is it even possible to die while questing now? No more forming groups and making friends on your server, no more travelling to the dungeons. Everything is just handed to you now, you can get to 90 and get full raid gear without speaking to another person or even leaving the city. It's just boring.