Photo

Switch off lights when parked, can damage car?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 +mulligan2k

mulligan2k

Neowinian

• 686 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:27

There's the minor issue of cold cranking amps. If you leave your lights and radio and windshield wipers on and try to start your car on a cold (zero degree) day, you might find it won't start. Granted, then you just have to turn them off with the accessory switch and try again, but some people today don't seem to realize that's an issue.

most cars will dim the lights / turn off radio when you start them anyway to get the maximum amps from the battery to crank the engine

#32 perochan

perochan

♫ d(-_-)b ♫

• 4,448 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:31

I think i saw it somewhere that if you turn off your headlight while the car is off, the power might overload something. Maybe that is another BS :D

#33 Joshie

Joshie

Wandering NPC

• 4,616 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:32

i think i understand what your boyfriend means. If the car have a light sensor and auto-lights turns the lights on or off automatically when needed... he must be ****ed off when he hopes those smart auto-lights are turning on when it's dark, but no, because girlfriend put the switch in off :)

Guys are like that. I also like all my car settings to be the way i left, eheh

I vote for this explanation. It's not that he actually believes it's bad for the car--he's just irritated by an out-dated habit and tried to find an easy way to break it.

#34 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,469 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928

Posted 30 July 2013 - 17:40

i dont have that problem. I do not have a switch to turn on or off my headlights (I drive a Volvo) they are automated by a sensor on the dashboard :p

#35 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 18:11

Just when you think you've heard it all.....

#36 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 60,876 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 23:52

^ I think she should find the switch for her boyfriend and turn him off.

#37 Skin

Skin

Neowinian

• 1,054 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 23:57

well, you should have the lights on the 'auto' setting... problems solved, everyone happy, love is made.

#38 Yazoo

Yazoo

Just a regular guy

• 1,614 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:57

where we're going we don't need lights (queue dramatic music) :shifty:

#39 DDStriker

DDStriker

Neowinian Senior

• 1,969 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:16

Nope you're not talking crap.

He is lying but i can understand him getting frustrated by it. There's absolutely no reason to turn off the light on a car with an auto lights mode. You just force the next person taking it to put the lights back in auto mode again for absolutely no reason. I really hate when someone takes my car and turn off the lights.

Well there is always unnecessary wear and tear so technically he's correct but it's most likely she's being annoying by tinkering with settings she shouldn't be touching because they are already in the correct mode

rather than argue with the car owner you should respect their (reasonable) rules when it comes to using their car or buy your own

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!