Photo
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:31

Hello folks,

I'd like to purchase an easy to use system that allows my mother to make Skype video calls.

Unfortunately, my mother is not computer literate, and tends to struggle with technology.  She does not own a computer, nor is there any internet access in her home.

I was considering an inexpensive Android tablet (or even a second hand iPad), but how would this device get online?

Is there perhaps a wifi 'pay as you go' internet package that I could purchase and top-up as and when needed?

Any suggestions for an affordable, simple, standalone solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

#2 jakem1

jakem1

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:40

They're a bit pricey but I was considering getting my Mum one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...itech tv cam hd

However, she ended up getting a Surface and happily uses Skype on that.

#3 AbandonedTrolley

AbandonedTrolley

Dexter Freak

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:58

Hello folks,

I'd like to purchase an easy to use system that allows my mother to make Skype video calls.

Unfortunately, my mother is not computer literate, and tends to struggle with technology.  She does not own a computer, nor is there any internet access in her home.

I was considering an inexpensive Android tablet (or even a second hand iPad), but how would this device get online?

Is there perhaps a wifi 'pay as you go' internet package that I could purchase and top-up as and when needed?

Any suggestions for an affordable, simple, standalone solution would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I think your solution would be a cheap tablet and a MiFi dongle with just a data PAYGO contract

#4 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:19

Buy a used iPhone 4, and get her some kind of data allowance (or setup an internet connection for her).

#5 OP Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

Posted 01 August 2013 - 00:24

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

#6 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 02 August 2013 - 19:26

Lumia 520/521 with a gocard.

#7 OP Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2013 - 00:26

Thanks for the suggestion, but what's a 'gocard' - can you provide a link to further information, please?

#8 Dashel

Dashel

Disgustipator

Posted 05 August 2013 - 15:25

Sorry, I wasn't even thinking - scratch mine (no front cam on those).  Getting internet is your main challenge, not the device.

(Gocard is just a pre-paid card (no contract))

#9 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X

Posted 05 August 2013 - 15:33

Countless devices can be bought that you can use Skype on. The connection on the other hand depends on where she lives. If it's a pretty modern city then she could prob just get a rolling 4G contract, failing that, 3G. If this isn't an option she could always get a traditional landline internet connection.

#10 OP Cute James

Cute James

Neowinian

Posted 06 August 2013 - 00:44

Thanks chaps,

I agree that setting up the internet connection will be the main challenge.

She lives in a small village outside of Norwich.  The last time I visited (over two years ago), I purchased a '3' internet dongle in order to get online with my netbook.  The connection speed was pretty terrible, and it was a dog to use - not to mention bloody pricey.  I wasn't really doing anything intensive (no streaming video or downloading), but had to top-up with my credit card several times.

As I mentioned in my original post, my mother is not computer literate.  So while I would love for her to get online and enjoy writing emails, browsing sites etc., realistically I believe Skype will be the only application.  As such, I wonder if it's really worth having a fixed internet line installed - at most, we'd probably Skype once or twice a month or so.

Cheers!

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!