The Flash

1 hour ago, wv@gt said:

Well if you must know 

Reveal hidden contents

He is Jay Garrick from Earth 3 aka The Flash on Earth 3 and also Barry's dads doppelganger. He is the one that was locked up with the metal mask in Zooms cell. Pretty cool seeing them use what looked like the 90's Flash costume

Nice way of handling that then.

58 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Ok, the whole time traveling crap has ran its course.  Solve a problem...time travel...create a problem...time travel.....blah

True, but when you are talking about a superhero show, and especially a superhero who can literally run into different dimensions and stuff like that.... time travel should be the least of the concerns you have :) (also, cosmic treadmills)

1 hour ago, techbeck said:

Ok, the whole time traveling crap has ran its course.  Solve a problem...time travel...create a problem...time travel.....blah

One reason, out of many, I gave up on "Legends of Tomorrow"

7 hours ago, LOC said:

True, but when you are talking about a superhero show, and especially a superhero who can literally run into different dimensions and stuff like that.... time travel should be the least of the concerns you have :) (also, cosmic treadmills)

The main character is not evolving at all as a person in the show.  He is just as stupid as when he started, just has more powers.  And he is turning in to no better that the enemies he was against,   This whole time traveling crap is just lazy writing.

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

The main character is not evolving at all as a person in the show.  He is just as stupid as when he started, just has more powers.  And he is turning in to no better that the enemies he was against,   This whole time traveling crap is just lazy writing.

The time traveling this is what I kind of enjoy. I kind of enjoy the multiverse aspect 

1 minute ago, wv@gt said:

The time traveling this is what I kind of enjoy. I kind of enjoy the multiverse aspect 

Anytime something bad happens, it is related to time traveling.  And to fix it...you time travel.  There is no mystery behind it.  And the whole being in the speed force episode a week or two ago was just useless nonsense considering how the season ended.  Said earlier that shows was just a filler used to extend the season and that is all it was considering the shows ending.  There was zero point for the Flash in the speed force episode.

Multiverse was cool.   I liked that.  But I feel next season, they are going to use that way to much as well.

So, Season 3...

Spoiler

Obviously Barry saw his other self fade away so I'm guessing saving his mother means he never became the flash because her death was the thing that gave him the impetus to improve his speed and himself before. So, either he's gonna have to kill her or Eobard Thorn will kill her...again.

7 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

One reason, out of many, I gave up on "Legends of Tomorrow"

Yea, Legends was not that great either.   Lot of bad acting in that show.  Surprised it is getting a 2nd season.  I will give it a chance tho.

14 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Yea, Legends was not that great either.   Lot of bad acting in that show.  Surprised it is getting a 2nd season.  I will give it a chance tho.

yep...the acting...the love triangles...the storyline...the plot...just all bad.  I officially gave up on it a few episodes ago.  Started watching the episode ... found myself easily losing interesting and just went "no mas".

Flash is better ... though this season was a bit of a mess.  Barry should have had more emotion/guilt knowing that his decision to open the portal...which allowed Zoom to come back (and ultimately kill many people including his father) ... but no ... giving it a chance with Iris makes it all better.

Anyway, the ending did make me curious for next season.

The Flash went from lighthearted, entertaining 1st season to plain dreadful in 2nd one. One would think You can't ruin the show in a single season, yet we saw Flash ruined in first ~10 episodes of the season 2.

CW needs to pay attention to how Netflix runs their Metahuman series. IMHO it is probably too late for both The Flash and The Arrow to survive much longer, same for Supergirl that is coming to the unfortunate network.

Looks like they're going to play with flashpoint, to an extent.

1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

The Flash went from lighthearted, entertaining 1st season to plain dreadful in 2nd one. One would think You can't ruin the show in a single season, yet we saw Flash ruined in first ~10 episodes of the season 2.

CW needs to pay attention to how Netflix runs their Metahuman series. IMHO it is probably too late for both The Flash and The Arrow to survive much longer, same for Supergirl that is coming to the unfortunate network.

I don't think it is a CW issue per say, rather more a DC comics issue. All of the DC shows have been about the same in regards to meta humans and the multi verse. Between The Flash, Smallville, Arrow, Supergirl and Legends, the Flash has kept me entertained in the longest so far. 

Also the Marvel world isn't perfect either. Big difference from the Netflix Marvel shows and the ones that were on ABC. 

4 hours ago, techbeck said:

Anytime something bad happens, it is related to time traveling.  And to fix it...you time travel.  There is no mystery behind it.  And the whole being in the speed force episode a week or two ago was just useless nonsense considering how the season ended.  Said earlier that shows was just a filler used to extend the season and that is all it was considering the shows ending.  There was zero point for the Flash in the speed force episode.

Multiverse was cool.   I liked that.  But I feel next season, they are going to use that way to much as well.

I haven't seen any of these episodes yet (don't watch the show actually) but on Kevin Smith's podcast they discussed that episode (mainly because he directed it) but also discussed the season finale now that it aired. And basically the show's take on the speed force basically being a god that Barry got his powers from etc but also letting him know (and then reiterated by his Father at some point) there ARE consequences to his actions and some of them even if done in the  best of reasons have the worst effects. AKA, season 3 I assume. Or at least, the beginning of S3 probably.

Also, I believe they were trying to get across Barry and his Mom yet again in the episode, while in the speed force. So, the speed force took Nora's voice. Showed her reading to him as a child (I think that's what they said they did) etc etc all to create the emotional connection with not only her but the speed force itself for whatever reason and to obviously set up the events in the season finale. As they all dovetail into his decision to do what he did in the end. (Which also as George said above me, seems to indicate they might be doing a version of the Flashpoint storyline. Or maybe even tying into Rebirth somehow with this)

This show has been pretty good.  I get it can be confusing at times, but it's not dreadful by any stretch of the imagination.

On 5/25/2016 at 7:44 AM, techbeck said:

Anytime something bad happens, it is related to time traveling.  And to fix it...you time travel. 

Well, the original Hunter Zolomon/Zoom wasn't technically a speedster.  His powers were actually time-based. He tried to use the cosmic treadmill to go back in time and fix his mistakes, and caused it to explode. As a result, his connection to the timestream was flexible, and he could control his interaction with time, allowing him to simulate super-speed with no actual connection to the Speed Force or speed powers of any kind. It also made him apparently faster than Wally West, since he could just slow the world down around himself, including Wally. Wally actually had to borrow speed from Jay and Bart/Impulse just to keep up!

And Zoom explicitly used time travel against Wally in his second story - taking Wally back to relive a tragedy Zoom had caused. All to make Wally a "better hero" by giving him more tragedy to motivate him. Through all of it Zolomon considered himself Flash's friend, and in fact started out that way - he had been a profiler for the Keystone Police before the accident.

So there's a precedent for time travel and manipulation when it comes to Zoom. With any other villain I'd agree that its use was excessive, but it is actually at the core of Zoom's character, and until that element was included, he felt more like Reverse-Flash v2 than Zoom. If anything the time travel/manipulation was necessary to be true to the character.

On 5/25/2016 at 10:16 PM, wv@gt said:

Well if you must know 

Reveal hidden contents

He is Jay Garrick from Earth 3 aka The Flash on Earth 3 and also Barry's dads doppelganger. He is the one that was locked up with the metal mask in Zooms cell. Pretty cool seeing them use what looked like the 90's Flash costume

That payoff made it all worthwhile to me.

Spoiler

I said from the beginning that Shipp should play Jay Garrick. Hopefully we'll see more of him down the road. And perhaps, if they continue to explore the multiverse we'll see John play yet another, even more familiar speedster . . .

As for the costume, it looked to me like they modified one of Barry's suits. Unless they showed a more classic-style one when the mask was removed?

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, techbeck said:

So what, Barry no longer the Flash in Season 3?

Wally West has traditionally started out as Barry's protege. If they have him take over, it'll probably be down the road. He's being billed as "Kid Flash" after all. I'd only be worried if he were in the predominantly red Flash uniform. Or maybe not - the original Wally is my favorite Flash, and thus far I've liked this kid's character development.

This is just following his Silver Age namesake's lead. Or the new Wally, who is just now taking on the identity. Though the new52 Wally, this guy's comic counterpart is actually classic Wally's cousin, they've both been Kid Flash. Redhead Wally is the original Silver Age Kid Flash, black Wally is the brand new Kid Flash (following his cousin's lead, I guess.) Redhead Wally is in the "Titans" comic, black Wally in "Teen Titans". Of course, this is a new retcon, introduced in DC : Rebirth, which I highly recommend.

It was a good way to satisfy those of us who missed the original without ticking off the fans of the new version. It might seem confusing having two Wallys, but I have a cousin who shares the name Dave Connell (and a late uncle). And every adult male in my house is named Dave! It does happen, and cousins not meeting much is plausible.

This surprised anyone?  Guess that's why they decided to just put it out there now before the season even started and not try to keep it a secret.  Though I think there are lots of people who watch the show who don't read the comics and don't know the connections, it would've been a nice surprise for them.