Samsung caught cheating on phone specs

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#16 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:50

its what i belive, sorry if it hurts your feelings. I don't know if i am inturpretting it incorrectly or if others are. they way i am reading it is fabricated results. I am sure you also believe what you believe too.

It's not about beliefs.  The post it just outright nonsense!  But nice try in attempting to make it seem like it matters...

#17 daorbed9

daorbed9

Neowinian

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:00

from what i read it is not done this way, You may not know what "speed step" and "power now" and "cool and quiet" actually do. Yes they take the actual attainable TOP performance of 100% and knock it down to save power, BUT the difference is the tests that Samsung have rigged the S4 to excel at ARE NOT ATTAINABLE by any program.... that's the error of there results... I think i am reading it correctly.

I could be wrong, but if this top performance is unattainable, then what good is the info? To me its useless data then.

I definitely agree.  Performance marks only attainable during benchmarking is not relevant data.

#18 psionicinversion

psionicinversion

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:02

its probably not cheating because thats the absolute max it can do, its 480mhz top gpu frequency or whatever is prolly used for thermals and temperature control so it doesnt burn a hole in your hand or the case, or so it doesnt catch fire if your playing games for a long period of time. there will be reasons for keeping it clocked down so its not like they are "cheating". it would prolly be alot worse if its maxed out and get reports of cases burning and melting. its not all a conspiracy.

say a PC your cpu and GPU isnt clocked at max frequencys ALL the time, there stepped down but when you do run say a game its clocked to max and as long as your case is well ventilated your fine. stick an i7 w/ a 7970 in a crowded desktop case (not a tower the other one) with cables everywhere, the insides start getting very hot and will destabilize the system cus of the temperature. so downclocking is a necessity sometime

#19 +Nik L

Nik L

Where's my pants?

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:03

I think i am reading it correctly.

If you ignore words like "probably" and "seem"...

#20 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:06

from my first response:

Anandtech posted an updated article today to address Samsung's statement:

As we mentioned in our original piece, there's a flag that's set whenever this boost mode is activated: +/sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/boost_mode. None of the first party apps get that flag set, only the specific benchmarks we pointed out in the original article. Of those first party apps, S Browser, Gallery and Video Player all top out at a GPU frequency of 266MHz (which makes sense, none of the apps are particularly GPU intensive). I tried running WebGL content in S Browser to confirm (I ran Aquarium with 500 fish), as well as edited some photos in Gallery - 266MHz was the max observed GPU frequency.

http://www.anandtech...ions-galaxy-s-4

#21 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:10

at least the phone was smart enough to detect benchmarking behaviors and start pumping up the MHz ...

#22 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:13

Anandtech posted an updated article today to address Samsung's statement:

http://www.anandtech...ions-galaxy-s-4

from that same article:

GPUclk_575px.png

Isn't this normal behavior (for the camera?) eg. throttle up when needed, throttle down when not?

#23 Jub Fequois

Jub Fequois

Owlblood

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:21

Sensationalist title. Silly article.

#24 fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Phone: LG G3

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:23

What a BS article.. Did Tim Cook write this?

#25 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:24

Why would they need to cheat? They pretty much own the market. :D

#26 Stetson

Stetson

Neowinian Senior

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:24

from that same article:

Isn't this normal behavior (for the camera?) eg. throttle up when needed, throttle down when not?

Yes, that is normal behavior. What isn't normal is having a list that calls out specific benchmark apps and tweaks CPU/GPU speeds when those apps are launched.

The CPU/GPU clocks should vary like your graph depending on what the benchmark app is trying to do (ie waiting at the menu or doing a benchmark), and peak performance given to the benchmark app should be the same as peak performance given to games and other third party apps.

#27 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:25

Benchmarks have never been a great indicator of real-world performance, so who really cares?

The same applies to a PC.  You can overclock it to 5GHz, which will give you a longer e-peen benchmark score, but you won't see that extra performance anywhere else.

As long as a phone is stable and doesn't lag, then specs and benchmarks mean absolutely nothing.  People should know this by now.

#28 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:27

Minimizing power consumption is a high priority for smartphones. What's the point of running the CPU or GPU at full power when there isn't enough power for it to last more than 3 hours? Samsung isn't cheating here. They're showing the maximum power of the hardware they use. It would be poor design for a messaging app to use the full power of a CPU and GPU. It's simply unnecessary. And aside from games, the only thing that can really push the hardware are benchmarking apps.

#29 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:31

Minimizing power consumption is a high priority for smartphones. What's the point of running the CPU or GPU at full power when there isn't enough power for it to last more than 3 hours? Samsung isn't cheating here. They're showing the maximum power of the hardware they use. It would be poor design for a messaging app to use the full power of a CPU and GPU. It's simply unnecessary. And aside from games, the only thing that can really push the hardware are benchmarking apps.

Because your e-penis will shrink if your phone doesn't have the maximum specs to roxx0rs joor boxers while texting.

#30 mr_sock_00

mr_sock_00

Neowinian

• Phone: LG L7

Posted 31 July 2013 - 15:31

sound like "An investigation carried out ostensibly to uncover activities but actually used to harass and undermine those with differing views."