• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 17,882 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:55

officeandroid1_640_large_verge_medium_la

Microsoft is extending its Office mobile software to Android this week, bringing basic editing to smartphones running Android 4.0 or higher. Following the release of Office for iPhone, the Android variant is almost identical in what it provides and its requirements. You'll need to sign into the application using an Office 365 subscription to view or edit documents, and Microsoft isn't providing a standalone or free version.

Much like the iPhone version, Office for Android includes a recent documents tab and access to create Word and Excel documents. Microsoft is optimising the Word, Excel, and PowerPoint apps within this application for phones. There's no plans for an Android tablet version, and Microsoft is recommending users make use of the Office Web Apps on tablets. Just like the Windows Phone and iPhone versions, the editing functionality on the Android edition is very basic. It's designed to simply be used for correction, formatting, and comments. Basic formatting like bold, italics, and font color options are supported, but beyond this it's rather limited.

Documents are all stored on Microsoft's SkyDrive cloud storage service, and can be shared via email using the Android app. There's not a lot of settings included, with the simple ability to change your name that's associated with document comments. One difference from the iPhone version is that there's no option to purchase an Office 365 subscription within the app, replaced simply with a sign-in that requires users to already have an active subscription.

Office for Android is rolling out today in the Google Play store for US customers, and Microsoft says it's "gradually" expanding to 33 other languages and 117 markets soon.

http://www.theverge....res-screenshots

Screenshots
http://www.theverge....oid-screenshots

365 Sub?  NTY.   I will continue using what I am using.  Good for those who already have 365 I guess.

#2 The Teej

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian

• 7,093 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 13:57

A step in the right direction, I guess. Lets hope now that Microsoft continues to update this software and perhaps one day brings it on-par with the desktop suites.

#3 UXGaurav

UXGaurav

Tried Classic Shell? It has 15 million+ downloads & growing

• 3,870 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:03

Subscription no thanks. :) Paid license, yes.

#4 B0mberman

B0mberman

Silence is the key to Wisdom

• 5,154 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:04

sweet

#5 thealexweb

thealexweb

Neowinian Senior

• 7,313 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:05

Subscription no thanks. :) Paid license, yes.

That doesn't bring in as much monies :p

#6 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• 15,845 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 31 July 2013 - 14:06

sad that even thought they are so close they wont release a standalone version until 2014 so that people who dont want to pay a premium monthly fee to use it can have office on their mobile device.

Then again I have a windows Phone 8 device and it is running office 2013 :D

#7 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 22:17

I'm fine with Polaris Office, thanks. 

#8 Mando

Mando

Neowinian Senior

• 2,120 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Note ICS

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:54

Exactly what I was thinking, you've missed this boat MS ;)

#9 StrikedOut

StrikedOut

Outside the box

• 854 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 11:58

Same here and to be honest, cant remember the last time I opened it.

#10 articuno1au

articuno1au

Neowinian Senior

• 4,459 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:03

Welllll..

5 licenses for $99 (or $120 depending on where you source it) per year for the ENTIRE office suite (which I admit most won't use outside of the core 4 + Outlook) doesn't seem wholly unreasonable given that it entitled you to version updates, skype minutes, extra skydrive storage and did I mention the 5 license thing?

Also, allows you to use it on Android. Then there's the whole throwing in 12 months of XBox live if you buy 365.. So ultimately it ends up costing you like.. $30 for your first year..

Honestly, so long as the price remains about similar, this is a good thing for consumers >.< If you have more than on machine, you are generally better off with 365.