Xbox One is designed to be always-on for 10 years

xbox one xbox microsoft

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#16 Rudy

Rudy

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 13:07

I actually like the 10yr life cycle point.  It's not like investing in a device that is useless after a year. ...makes me feel better about getting it.

10 years is unrealistic. We already have 4K HDTVs, while I agree that 4K gaming is a few years away, I do believe that it will be a reality before 5 years

#17 vcfan

vcfan

Straight Ballin'

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 01 August 2013 - 13:42

10 years is unrealistic. We already have 4K HDTVs, while I agree that 4K gaming is a few years away, I do believe that it will be a reality before 5 years

4k is going to take a long long time to gain penetration. Cable and satellite operators dont have the infrastructure to support it yet. Hell, they cant even do HD right,with satellite providers saturating their transponders with more channels but with more compression,and coax doesnt have a lot of bandwidth left. Until fiber is the norm,then maybe we can start thinking about adoption in the short term. Blu ray still didnt catch on like dvd did when shifting from VHS,even though you can pick up a bluray player for dirt cheap. Also, a lot of people are content with watching netflix and other online stuff thats compressed to hell,do you honestly think they will go crazy over 4K? especially when you tell them they have to buy all their stuff again like they did with hd and bluray? i would say 10 years is very realistic.

#18 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 August 2013 - 16:00

I think the techies around here take things for granted when the general public doesn't really buy the newest and greatest.  The majority of people are fine with even their old 720p "HD Ready" TVs and aren't going to rush to buy new ones just because they're 4k.  If new TV tech sold that great then 3D and Smart TVs would've caught on, but they haven't.   I expect 1080p TVs to be the majority in homes for quite some time to come with 4k gaming being a niche in the PC gaming area.

With that said, I also agree about the 10year cycle being a plus.  Tech that's not part of the "mobile" sector, i.e. phones and tablets, not so much laptops though, and is stationary in ones home isn't though of as something to be replaced often.  A TV, BD player, even a PC to, a console falls into that group the way I see it.  You buy it because you know you're going to get games on it, that just play, for at least the next 5 years.    If MS has nailed the issues they had with the 360 and the One lasts long like the original Xbox did (that thing was a tank, and not just in size), then people will be more than happy to buy it at the higher price when they know it'll be good for so years to come.

#19 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 01 August 2013 - 16:19

I think you might be getting confused about the mention of 'always-on'. It's talking about being always on in terms of power (as in constantly running in full/low power mode) rather than anything being connected to the internet all of the time.

no I am not getting confused, if the system is physically capable of being on for ten years, we are assuming MS is still running all their servers in 10 years and not put a new system out or discontinued support for the XBO.. if you buy a XBO towards the end of it's life cycle in the market kinda like buying a 360 today, will you still be able to play it for 10 years? if MS puts updates out in the future that once again rely on having to talk back to the mother ship, you are now relying on MS being there for the system to work... what is their plan in this case? will they release an update at the end to remove that requirement if there is one? that was my question

#20 threetonesun

threetonesun

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 16:25

On PCs. It's somewhat pointless on a TV.

I think in 10 years our phones will be more powerful than these consoles, though.

#21 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 16:29

I threw my xbox away in 2009 once I realized how old the graphics were.

Don't believe you. If you threw it away solely based on how "old" the graphics were, you would have thrown it away the day it came out as it was already years behind PC graphics. Try again.

#22 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 16:29

no I am not getting confused, if the system is physically capable of being on for ten years, we are assuming MS is still running all their servers in 10 years and not put a new system out or discontinued support for the XBO.. if you buy a XBO towards the end of it's life cycle in the market kinda like buying a 360 today, will you still be able to play it for 10 years? if MS puts updates out in the future that once again rely on having to talk back to the mother ship, you are now relying on MS being there for the system to work... what is their plan in this case? will they release an update at the end to remove that requirement if there is one? that was my question

This article has nothing to do with connecting to servers or "talking to the mother ship" though.  Where are you getting all that from?  This is about how long the physical box can last turned on.

But to entertain your thought - if MS implemented a server connection requirement, why would the assumption be that they would end communication between X1's and the servers just because they're pushing out a new Xbox.  That doesn't make sense.  And if they did plan on that, they would most certainly release an update to remove the requirement, or be slapped by a rather large class action.

#23 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 01 August 2013 - 16:35

4k is going to take a long long time to gain penetration. Cable and satellite operators dont have the infrastructure to support it yet. Hell, they cant even do HD right,with satellite providers saturating their transponders with more channels but with more compression,and coax doesnt have a lot of bandwidth left. Until fiber is the norm,then maybe we can start thinking about adoption in the short term. Blu ray still didnt catch on like dvd did when shifting from VHS,even though you can pick up a bluray player for dirt cheap. Also, a lot of people are content with watching netflix and other online stuff thats compressed to hell,do you honestly think they will go crazy over 4K? especially when you tell them they have to buy all their stuff again like they did with hd and bluray? i would say 10 years is very realistic.

Finally someone who gets it (Y)

#24 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 01 August 2013 - 17:04

This article has nothing to do with connecting to servers or "talking to the mother ship" though.  Where are you getting all that from?  This is about how long the physical box can last turned on.

But to entertain your thought - if MS implemented a server connection requirement, why would the assumption be that they would end communication between X1's and the servers just because they're pushing out a new Xbox.  That doesn't make sense.  And if they did plan on that, they would most certainly release an update to remove the requirement, or be slapped by a rather large class action.

It seems everytime we talk about the XB1 and the "cloud" someone has to bring up the fear that MS is going to turn off the servers and your box will be useless now.  That's just not the case, specially not now that they've changed on the 24hr check.  Regardless, the 360 is still going to be on the market a bit into the XB1s life and it's still going to connect to XBL and work like it does now.  To the servers, I don't think they care if you connect to XBL with a 360 or a XB1, they just offer you features or not.

As far as the whole cloud bit in games, the way I remember it is that MS is charging developers by how much they use not by server instance, which means a developer isn't going to be paying for a server that just sits there unused a few years from now.  When the cost of running the cloud side of a games features is dynamic like that and matches the users  actually playing it so as fewer play it the cost comes down then the need to close the servers anytime soon is reduced.  It's just spinning up a process when needed, a developer could leave that there for quite some time and pay very very little for it or nothing at all when it's not used.

#25 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 01 August 2013 - 17:49

Why is it not the case? Xbox Live 1.0 was turned off and there has been plenty of games this generation which have had their MP servers turned off...

That's only going to be amplified now that consoles are increasingly connected both in and outside of games.

And before the usual suspects jump in and accuse me of trolling XB1 or whatever, I'm talking about all 3 consoles and PC games. The push towards MMO experiences and online FPS titles will effectively die overnight as soon as the publisher decides the player count has reached x threshold and it's time to flip the switch. Now you've lost either 100% access to your game or best scenario the MP component. Obviously not a problem for those who play games and forget about them, but those of us who are collectors or like to revisit our favourite MP games are screwed.

#26 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 18:01

This isn't about the console "lifecycle" (10 years?  OMG XBOX 2 will be out then!!1!!).  It's about how the hardware itself has been designed to "survive" being powered on for 10 years.

#27 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 01 August 2013 - 18:34

If that was directed at me, I know what the topic is about. I was chiming in to the previous comment that brought up XB1/MP servers.

I'm honestly not bothered about the hardware durability as I'll be turning it off from the wall if there is no option via the dash to turn off low powered states. And both the PS4/X1 will both have hardware issues. Doesn't matter how much they test, it'll always happen.

#28 +MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 01 August 2013 - 18:42

I love how certain people can't find a negative spin on this so they go completely off-topic to make the thread a flame war. Immature beyond belief.

#29 Dinggus

Dinggus

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 19:10

Don't believe you. If you threw it away solely based on how "old" the graphics were, you would have thrown it away the day it came out as it was already years behind PC graphics. Try again.

I only played two PC games; COD: MW and AA.

Why else would I throw away an xbox? I bought the 360 in 2009.

#30 ILikeTobacco

ILikeTobacco

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 19:13

I only played two PC games; COD: MW and AA.

Why else would I throw away an xbox? I bought the 360 in 2009.

Which are games that look better on the PC the day they came out so your statement suggesting your sole reason for throwing it away was due to old graphics couldn't be true. The console launched in 2005 and had old graphics on it the day it launched so if you actually based your decisions solely on graphics, you would have never bought it in the first place, let alone throw it away.