Is it IT's job to babysit or teach?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#46 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• 19,644 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 17:28

Not everyone has a good boss or management! In my experience, upper management often prefers to shoot the easy target like low/mid-level IT, rather than tackle the real issues.

Why I document everything and periodically offload the documentation.I have learned a long time ago to CYA.

That means nothing. what if that person is 1 step above your boss?  things can always change.

Missed where I said on Page 2 that the only people I am interested in is keeping the directors/VPs happy?  Anyone else I am not worried about.  If I have a problem with an employee, I will talk to my boss and in turn he will talk to their boss and get it resolved.  And I don't go out of my way to ###### anyone off.

#47 +Bryan R.

Bryan R.

Neowinian Senior

• 4,617 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 17:34

Why I document everything and periodically offload the documentation.I have learned a long time ago to CYA.

Missed where I said on Page 2 that the only people I am interested in is keeping the directors/VPs happy?  Anyone else I am not worried about.  If I have a problem with an employee, I will talk to my boss and in turn he will talk to their boss and get it resolved.  And I don't go out of my way to **** anyone off.

This would work in a structured organization with a hierarchy of management. But for a smaller company? Or an outsourced IT person? It would be completely different. The question from the OP is becoming too vague to answer universally.