Why Android

google-play-galaxy-s4.jpg?w=618

Yes, many Android phones have that tacky, plastic feel. No, Android vendors selling those sub-$200 phones are not making much money. Yes, Android is seriously fragmented. Nevertheless, Google?s strategy of flooding the world with nasty little budget phones is turning out to be a diabolically clever gambit. Consider this: Last October, iOS app revenue was 4x bigger than Google Play app revenue. But in Q2 2013, the iOS market generated only 2.3x more revenue than Google Play. The revenue gap is closing at an astonishing speed.

Why? Because even though Google Play is obviously an inferior market for mobile apps in many ways, it is swamping the iOS market in sheer volume.

In the second quarter this year, Google Play passed the iOS market in app download volume by 10%. This surge is powered by emerging markets from Brazil to China. Those cheap $100 Android phones that may not yield any hardware margin are acting as conduits to Android apps for hundreds of millions of consumers who cannot afford an iPhone.

Then, those Android apps in turn yield far lower revenue per user than iOS apps ? but very soon, that will not matter much. Because the sheer volume advantage that the Android apps are in the process of building is also going to propel Google Play ahead of iOS in revenue generation by the end of 2014, perhaps sooner.

Mobile app developers are already reconsidering their options. Asian powerhouses in Japan and Korea are shifting to an Android-first product development strategy. American app vendors are starting to launch Android apps simultaneously with iOS apps.

The balance of power is shifting with dizzying speed. If Apple does not change the dynamics, Google Play will be the primary app platform globally by the end of next year.

I guess it was just a matter of time. Personally, I don't care who's on top as long as there's more than one player on the field. Competition will only be good for consumers. That's why I want iOS, Android, and Windows Phone to all be successful. Hell, I'm even rooting for BlackBerry.

I guess it was just a matter of time. Personally, I don't care who's on top as long as there's more than one player on the field. Competition will only be good for consumers. That's why I want iOS, Android, and Windows Phone to all be successful. Hell, I'm even rooting for BlackBerry.

So very true....

Anywhere and everywhere you have several different companies competing against each other, customers get better prices.

Each market must have more than just a few companies, i would say 4 is the minimum number. Let them fight for each customer and drop prices as much as possible.

And none of the cheap androids even resister on the market share charts.

Anyway wonder if the sane BGR comments will be present here as they are in many WP topics...

What I have been saying for a long time.

i love how the article is claiming that Google planned for it to happen this way, in fact anyone who wants to can put Android on any device they want so long as they want to code the drivers for it. Its not Google's fault that so many device manufacturers still refuse to follow the guidelines that google setup regarding update schedules and support timelines for devices that carry Android.Nor is it Google's fault that Manufacturers refuse to meet the minimum requirements for certain versions of Android (looking at HTC on that one) and there are plenty of Solid Aluminum phones out there that run Android.

Why? Because even though Google Play is obviously an inferior market for mobile apps in many ways,

Stopped reading there. How is it inferior in "many ways"? Or in any way for that matter? They both are just delivery systems, and both seem to work well. I don't get it.

i love how the article is claiming that Google planned for it to happen this way, in fact anyone who wants to can put Android on any device they want so long as they want to code the drivers for it. Its not Google's fault that so many device manufacturers still refuse to follow the guidelines that google setup regarding update schedules and support timelines for devices that carry Android.Nor is it Google's fault that Manufacturers refuse to meet the minimum requirements for certain versions of Android (looking at HTC on that one) and there are plenty of Solid Aluminum phones out there that run Android.

Actually, Google could (if they wanted to) make 18 months worth of software updates (or some other arbitrary amount of time) a condition of licensing Google Apps like Gmail and the Play Store and the like. Same as with hardware requirements.

Stopped reading there. How is it inferior in "many ways"? Or in any way for that matter? They both are just delivery systems, and both seem to work well. I don't get it.

Malware.

why does everyone give 2 ###### about plastic? why does everything have to be metal? for one i love my s3's feel being it plastic or not i pick up another phone that is aluminium and the darn thing feels heavy and bloated and gives a false sence when i drop it it wont break, oh look my iphone shattered gee now where is my plastic

\

Good thing Apple has never had malware in their App Store.... oh wait!  :rolleyes:

Who said that there hasn't?  Even so, they've only had a handful slip through the walled garden.

It's a pretty significant problem on Android since apps aren't tested like they are on iOS.

Who said that there hasn't?  Even so, they've only had a handful slip through the walled garden.

It's a pretty significant problem on Android since apps aren't tested like they are on iOS.

It was your number one and only reason you gave for why the Android market was inferior. But being that they both have had malware, it's a pretty weak reason. On the opposite side of that issue, Android gets to have apps that do anything. Apple removes apps that upset them or provide better alternatives to their own apps. Being that I have at least half a brain, I'm pretty safe from the malware in the Android app store. This is Apple induced logic. All computers have always had malware. It typically only affects people who click and download everything they see, just like in the app stores. If the Play Store was mostly malware with only a few valid apps, you'd have a point. It's not though, so I'd consider that reasoning invalid.

Funny you would chime in Dot Matrix, so being that you want to jump on that bandwagon as well, you would also agree that Windows is the most inferior desktop OS as well since it has more malware than any other, correct? It sure has a hell of a lot more than Android does. :laugh:

Funny you would chime in Dot Matrix, so being that you want to jump on that bandwagon as well, you would also agree that Windows is the most inferior desktop OS as well since it has more malware than any other, correct? It sure has a hell of a lot more than Android does. :laugh:

That was completely uncalled for, buddy.

Can we change the topic title, using the words "Cheap and Nasty" will cause way too many flame wars

That being said I like Android more because:

1. I can change how things look.  If I don't like an Icon I can download a launcher and change the icons around. (Without jailbreaking)
  2. Widgets.  Accessing an app without having to go to that app is awesome. 
  3. Apps can do anything on there. Apple removes apps that upset them (like the YouTube app) and I am not silly enough to succumb to malware.
  4. Choice. There are dozens of phones out there that run Android and each one is different and offers different features.
  5. If I don't like a specific version of Android, I can just root a customROM and get a different version of Android on there. 

Not saying iOS is crap in anyway.  I just prefer Android, because of the reasons stated above.

• Like 2