Chromecast Discussion Thread

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#16 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:30

Well damn! Yeah, I guess they just have to optimize the software then. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to run smooth with that kind of power. I'm excited for the future though. I'm hoping more companies jump on quick, especially Amazon Prime.

I believe Play Music uses Flash, so that's more than likely the source of the problem.  Hopefully they can find out ways to get around those issues.

#17 +techbeck

techbeck

It's not that I am lazy, it's that I just don't care

• Tech Issues Solved: 14

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:37

Well damn! Yeah, I guess they just have to optimize the software then. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to run smooth with that kind of power. I'm excited for the future though. I'm hoping more companies jump on quick, especially Amazon Prime.

Amazon, Hulu, Pandora, Vimeo, Redbox, and AOL are all rumored to be up next.

#18 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:50

I believe Play Music uses Flash, so that's more than likely the source of the problem.  Hopefully they can find out ways to get around those issues.

Play Music has a HTML5 player under their Labs Settings, just an FYI

#19 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:59

Play Music has a HTML5 player under their Labs Settings, just an FYI

Ooo, nice.  Somebody give it a try and let us know if that one works better.  (Y)

#20 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 16:58

I already use the HTML5 version apparently. :laugh:

#21 +techbeck

techbeck

Posted 02 August 2013 - 17:14

I hope someone comes up with an actual media play to play movies and is designed to work well with Chromecast. Playing movies in a tab is all well and good, but it would seem a separate program would have more support. Would prefer something like VLC.

#22 AJerman

AJerman

Boomer Sooner!

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 17:18

I hope someone comes up with an actual media play to play movies and is designed to work well with Chromecast. Playing movies in a tab is all well and good, but it would seem a separate program would have more support. Would prefer something like VLC.

Yeah, I suspect that will happen sooner rather than later. In the mean time it would be nice if they would at least add support for the web versions of the Play apps like music. I don't always want to use my phone to stream music and streaming the whole tab is a bit much.

#23 +techbeck

techbeck

Posted 02 August 2013 - 17:30

Yeah, I suspect that will happen sooner rather than later. In the mean time it would be nice if they would at least add support for the web versions of the Play apps like music. I don't always want to use my phone to stream music and streaming the whole tab is a bit much.

I am sure more is coming. If they come out with a way to stream 1080 movies, then basically I will use it mainly for my movies.

#24 xendrome

xendrome

In God We Trust; All Others We Monitor

Posted 02 August 2013 - 17:39

In Chrome you can press CTRL+O and just open a file, then broadcast that tab it loads in.

#25 +techbeck

techbeck

Posted 02 August 2013 - 17:40

In Chrome you can press CTRL+O and just open a file, then broadcast that tab it loads in.

I know, but it needs work to use with CC. Video gets choppy unless you lower the quality.

#26 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:24

Well, I have my Chromecast connected to the front hdmi3 on my Pioneer VSX53 and it appears that Chromecast doesn't output digital surround, only stereo. Anyone managed to get digital surround on it? My other components switch to truehd, digital surround, whatever. Sine Chromecast only doors stereo I can't see myself using it much aside from some YouTube hopping.

#27 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 6/Nexus 5

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:39

Well, I have my Chromecast connected to the front hdmi3 on my Pioneer VSX53 and it appears that Chromecast doesn't output digital surround, only stereo. Anyone managed to get digital surround on it? My other components switch to truehd, digital surround, whatever. Sine Chromecast only doors stereo I can't see myself using it much aside from some YouTube hopping.

I also can't get surround sound out of it (tried Netflix and Youtube). I have my Chromecast hooked up to my TV via HDMI. My TV is hooked up to my Onkyo 5.1 receiver via optical out, so it should be able to get surround sound, because I can with my TV on OTA channels. 

#28 OP +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Phone: iPhone 6

Posted 06 August 2013 - 22:56

I also can't get surround sound out of it (tried Netflix and Youtube). I have my Chromecast hooked up to my TV via HDMI. My TV is hooked up to my Onkyo 5.1 receiver via optical out, so it should be able to get surround sound, because I can with my TV on OTA channels.

Yeah AppleTV does full digital surround so CC will only be a novelty for streaming some netflix ocassionaly. Unless maybe they somehow enable it in a firmware update...

#29 FloatingFatMan

FloatingFatMan

Resident Fat Dude

Posted 14 August 2013 - 07:43

Digital surround sound?  I wonder if maybe you guys are expecting a little too much from a device which only costs 35 bucks...

#30 +techbeck

techbeck

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:05

My surround sound works fine with Netflix.