What's with the metal "prongs" on this motherboard IO backplate

post-645-0-13004800-1375375793.jpg

With these loose metal bits shown in the photo above?

I can't fit it between the case and the motherboard whilst they're there.

Are they supposed to be bent/cut off?

They make contact between the plate and the motherboard to be grounded. That is more than usual though.

attachicon.gifeb_backplateprongs2.jpg

With these loose metal bits shown in the photo above?

I can't fit it between the case and the motherboard whilst they're there.

Are they supposed to be bent/cut off?

Bend them flatter to make it easier to mount the motherboard through that I/O panel.  Don't flatten them all the way, though.

^What he said. They are used to ground the motherboard. You should be able to get it on easily. If not, you are doing it wrong.

They keep the IO plate from falling out of place when you connect things to your motherboard. Usually you squash them between the motherboard and the case, but considering manufacturing can be off sometimes it's easier to bend one or two out of the way.

Also, for everyone saying they ground the motherboard, that's not an issue. Maybe they do, but they're pretty ancillary after the ground wire from the PSU and the metal standoffs that connect your motherboard directly to the case. You could certainly use the motherboard without the IO plate.

Bend them flatter to make it easier to mount the motherboard through that I/O panel.  Don't flatten them all the way, though.

Bend them which way?

The backplate only fits into the case by pushing it from the outside of the case toward the case.

If the prongs are out, it hurts when you plug something it as they stick in you.

If the prongs are in, the ports don't fit through the holes.

Tempted just to leave it off...

Bend them which way?

The backplate only fits into the case by pushing it from the outside of the case toward the case.

If the prongs are out, it hurts when you plug something it as they stick in you.

If the prongs are in, the ports don't fit through the holes.

Tempted just to leave it off...

This post is concerning.

I can tell by the picture that it is meant to be installed from the inside of the case and that is the only way I've ever seen them be installed.

The "prongs" or "tabs" should be on the inside of the case touching the ports coming off the motherboard.

Somehow it seems you are completely reversed. 

Well it should look more like this - someone has bent the prongs out on yours:

ioshield.jpg

With it how it should be, the motherboard will push right up against the prongs without much effort.

This post is concerning.

I can tell by the picture that it is meant to be installed from the inside of the case and that is the only way I've ever seen them be installed.

The "prongs" or "tabs" should be on the inside of the case touching the ports coming off the motherboard.

Somehow it seems you are completely reversed. 

This definitely only fits and matches from the outside :S Not sure why.

Maybe this will help?

I eventually got the effer in from the inside. Wasn't easy though, I had to push the motherboard hard against the backplate and screw the motherboard into the case to hold it there :P

I eventually got the effer in from the inside. Wasn't easy though, I had to push the motherboard hard against the backplate and screw the motherboard into the case to hold it there :p

Yes, but now it won't fall out, which is the point. :D

I eventually got the effer in from the inside. Wasn't easy though, I had to push the motherboard hard against the backplate and screw the motherboard into the case to hold it there :p

Was it particularly difficult to push the motherboard against the plate because the tabs were too strong? If so, I would venture to guess the number of tabs offered too much combined resistance. Like I said, that plate has more tabs than usual.

Was it particularly difficult to push the motherboard against the plate because the tabs were too strong? If so, I would venture to guess the number of tabs offered too much combined resistance. Like I said, that plate has more tabs than usual.

Yeh, too much resistance.

Silly Asus :)

The perpendicular ones on your IO shield are meant to press against the sides of the IO port assemblies on the motherboard (like they're hugging it.) Don't bend those.