'Broadchurch' to get US television remake

ibxMbDj5nHWyye.png

Broadchurch is to be remade for US television.

The UK crime drama - which debuted on ITV in March - will be adapted by Fox, for broadcast in late 2014 or early 2015.

Like the original, Broadchurch follows the investigation into the tragic and mysterious death of a young boy found dead on an idyllic beach.

Series creator Chris Chibnall will write the remake's premiere episode and also executive produce.

"Broadchurch is the kind of storytelling that grabs your attention and keeps you riveted with every minute - which is exactly what we look for in an event series," said Fox's chairman of entertainment Kevin Reilly.

"We love the layered characters, we've seen how well-received it's been in the UK and we're lucky to be able to bring a new version of this mystery to the US audience."

The original Broadchurch - which starred David Tennant and Olivia Colman - will premiere on August 7 at 10/9c on BBC America. A second series is also currently in the works.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s218/broadchurch/news/a503324/broadchurch-to-get-us-television-remake.html

• 2 months later...

jL1rRNm.png

David Tennant is set to join the U.S. adaptation of the hit British drama Broadchurch. His character will similar to his role in the original series, but this time he'll use an American accent. The U.S. version of Broadchurch will air on Fox in the 2014-15 TV season

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just realized on that photo the women on the left is Prisoner Zero from the 11th hour (matt smiths first episode) of Doctor Who.

Just realized on that photo the women on the left is Prisoner Zero from the 11th hour (matt smiths first episode) of Doctor Who.

Yeah if you have never watched the UK Broadchurch try to, it's amazing television...David Tennant is top notch!

I think a big American budget could do it good. I liked Broadchurch but it always had that lingering cheapness about it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

1394645466.jpg

When a young boy is found dead on an idyllic beach by a jutting cliff-face, a major police investigation gets underway in the northern California seaside town where the tragedy occurred. Soon deemed a homicide, the case turns neighbor against neighbor and sparks a media frenzy, which not only throws the boy's family into further turmoil, but also threatens to upend the lives of all of the town's residents.

Welcome to GRACEPOINT, a new event series based on ?Broadchurch,? the U.K.'s critically acclaimed and wildly popular crime drama.

Leading the murder investigation is Detective EMMETT CARVER (David Tennant, ?Broadchurch,? ?Dr. Who?) a by-the-book cop who has just arrived in Gracepoint to fill a high position in the town's police force. That job previously had been promised to Detective ELLIE MILLER (Anna Gunn, ?Breaking Bad?) who, in light of the tragedy, must put any resentment aside and work the case with her prickly new boss.

Danny is survived by his grieving parents, BETH (Virginia Kull, ?Boardwalk Empire?) and MARK SOLANO (Michael Pe?a, ?End of Watch?), who are devastated by the loss of their young son. Mark, a native of Gracepoint, is a well-liked local plumber and family man. Beth, who married Mark after getting pregnant in high school, is hungry to discover the truth behind Danny's murder. Their daughter, CHLOE (newcomer Madalyn Horcher), is hit hard by her little brother's death. Rebellious and wise beyond her years, Chloe has an older boyfriend, DEAN IVERSON (Kendrick Sampson, ?The Vampire Diaries?), whom she hides from her parents.

The entire town of Gracepoint is pulled into the chaos of the investigation, including JACK REINHOLD (Nick Nolte, ?Luck?), a private and stubborn man who runs the kayak rental service on the beach, as well as the local wildlife observation program, for which Danny used to volunteer. SUSAN WRIGHT (Jacki Weaver, ?Silver Linings Playbook?), a glowering, mysterious woman, lives in the RV park near the coast, alone with her dog. She works various cleaning and odd jobs and prefers to remain anonymous. The town's minister, PAUL COATES (Kevin Rankin, ?Justified?), becomes a de facto spokesperson for the community as the media descends on Gracepoint. Well-intentioned but inexperienced, Coates seizes the opportunity to be in the spotlight and finds himself leading the most attentive congregation he's ever had.

The investigation is followed closely by the town's local newspaper reporter OWEN BURKE (Kevin Zegers, ?Gossip Girl?), who is Det. Miller's nephew. Eager to help catch Danny's killer, Owen is unaccustomed to covering the murder beat. But when San Francisco Globe reporter RENEE CLEMONS (Jessica Lucas, ?Cloverfield?) sets up camp in Gracepoint, she fuels Owen's ambition. What's more, having followed Detective Carver on a similar murder case that went unsolved, she is determined to hold him accountable for the case's outcome.

Danny's death and the subsequent investigation also impacts tourism, Gracepoint's leading source of revenue. The decline in visitors to the town is felt most harshly by hotel owner GEMMA FISHER (Sarah-Jane Potts, ?Kinky Boots,? ?Felicity?), a vivacious Brit with secrets of her own. Also touched by Danny's death is Mark's apprentice at the plumbing company, VINCE NOVIK (Stephen Louis Grush, ?Lucky 7?), whose loyalty to his employer becomes increasingly fierce.

Produced by Shine America in association with Kudos and Imaginary Friends, GRACEPOINT began filming in January, for broadcast during the 2014-2015 season. The gripping crime series is executive-produced by the original series' creator, Chris Chibnall (?Dr. Who,? ?Camelot?), with Shine America's Carolyn Bernstein (?The Bridge?), Kudos' Jane Featherstone (?The Hour,? ?Utopia?), Dan Futterman (?Capote,? ?In Treatment?), Anya Epstein (?In Treatment,? ?Homicide?) and John Goldwyn (?Dexter?). Futterman and Epstein serve as showrunners. Chibnall wrote the premiere episode and James Strong (?Broadchurch,? ?Downton Abbey?) directed. The series will be distributed by Shine International.

will be adapted absolutely hideously destroyed by Fox, for broadcast in late 2014 or early 2015.

Fixed that.

Tennant is so desperate for a US breakthrough it's starting to make me cringe, although not as much as when he does his US accent!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They seem to have taken the literal copy paste route for this and I am quite glad they did because any other way would have ruined the show. I hope they keep the ending the same also and not think "Well, it needs to be an american ending." I am just worried about that. Otherwise, the tone and everything else seems fairly similar to the original. I do think that @ensiform is right because BBC is getting popular in the north american market. I also think that they are remaking it because not many people were aware of it to begin with.

i have to admit, if you didnt know who David Tennant was, he does a convincing american accent!

also, is anna gunn anorexic now?

i have to admit, if you didnt know who David Tennant was, he does a convincing american accent!

after watching the trailer i thought the american accent was horrible.

• 2 months later...

Having seen the original UK version and watching that trailer it was so odd.

This is going to fail just like the US versions of Life on Mars, The IT Crowd and the awful Dr Who TV Movie!!!

US Studios trying to "remake" a UK TV series are like Uwe Boll, they get the rights to a great TV series then ###### it up by rewriting it!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...