Food truck worker fired for tweet about customers

Because people normally tip and people working at restaurants, non fast food, can make a few hundred bucks a night in tips.

So are you saying fast food workers should be able to accept tips, or are you saying agreeing they should be paid double of those working a non-fast-food restuarant?

No, they walked out because they wanted more than minimum wage. $7.50/hr. They wanted twice that.

They wanted $15/hr ...... O_O WTF!

take into account the average cost of living in the areas is over $6300 a month.

edit - I somehow think this is wrong. Maybe living is $3700 and wage is normally 6300. I have lost where I got the figures from to boot.

So are you saying fast food workers should be able to accept tips, or are you saying they should be paid double of those working a non-fast-food restuarant?

Fast food compared to other restaurants are night and day. Non fast food places is a much more hectic place to work. I have worked both in my teens/going to school years ago. Fast food doesnt get tips because they do not wait on you like other places. I agree with tipping in non fast food restaurants based on service. I agree non fast food should be payed a little more but not double.

Yup, the new American way. Want something for nothing.

Fast food compared to other restaurants are night and day. Non fast food places is a much more hectic place to work. I have worked both in my teens/going to school years ago. Fast food doesnt get tips because they do not wait on you like other places. I agree with tipping in non fast food restaurants based on service. I agree non fast food should be payed a little more but not double.

Yup, the new American way. Want something for nothing.

I think fast food workers should be paid commission honestly. Like salesmen. The more they work and more orders they fill the more money they make. (total orders pooled over shift, split over workers) I also think their base wage should be adjusted for their location, if everyone in the neighbourhood is driving bentleys and you do 20,000 orders a day you can likley jack their mcvalue meal up $3 and they won't shug their shoulders - allowing that $3 to go to benefits and wage. Where if people are hobbling in with torn clothing who havn't bathed in a week, and you only do 100 orders a day, then your wage can be closer to the national minimum wage, as you aren't working as hard as that place that pumps out 20,000 orders a day and likley have a much lower cost of living.

For those that don't understand the tipping process here, yes it can sometimes suck to rely off of tips, but then again most of the time you take the tips after your shift. So there is a perk especially if you are used to living that way,  It is a common courtesy to tip. If the person is rude or does not do something right most people will tip less or none at all. However there is a big difference from not tipping due to bad service and not tipping at all for good service. We obviously don't know if the guy provided great service or not, but if someone was outraged enough to post it on Twitter then I would assume he had pretty decent service. Also its a common practice to tip more like around 18 to 20% if you are in a large group,  

This "social media" nonsense being used to drive news is getting out of hand. It seems nowadays every little nothing incident that happens gets blown-up to a global news story because it happened on Twitter. Stop spreading the disease.

Because people normally tip and people working at restaurants, non fast food, can make a few hundred bucks a night in tips.

So obviously said by someone who has never worked in the restaurant trade.  You find me one run-of-the-mill restaurant outside a major city where this is the case?  The problem here isn't the 'tipping culture', it's the cause - namely your political system's total lack of legislation in ensuring employers pay their staff a minimum wage that can be lived on.

Clearly a cultural difference between America and Europe. In Europe tips are considered extra when the service is exceptionally good, the workes make enough without tips. In America tips are necessary because the workes are paid like ###### and can't survive solely on their wages. I think I prefer the European system ;)

It's shocking that people need tips to survive because they are so under paid. Especially in a country like America.

In the UK tipping is is a courtesy, i tend to tip quite well i always throw an extra few quid to delivery drivers, taxi drivers, end of meals etc...  but would never give extra money to an over the counter worker, nor do they expect it.. usually if there is a couple of pence change you would say keep the change but most of the time they'll throw it into a charity box anyway... but i know some people who do not tip at all and it's a non issue.

So obviously said by someone who has never worked in the restaurant trade.  You find me one run-of-the-mill restaurant outside a major city where this is the case?  The problem here isn't the 'tipping culture', it's the cause - namely your political system's total lack of legislation in ensuring employers pay their staff a minimum wage that can be lived on.

First off, dont assume you know where I have worked.  I have worked off of tips before and yes, you can make a few hundred some nights depending on the night, the crowd, and where you work.   I have a sister who bartends and she makes at least $200 per night every night.  I have another family member that is a server and some nights she pulls down $400 some nights.

You obviously never worked in the industry if you are blind to this.

It's shocking that people need tips to survive because they are so under paid. Especially in a country like America.

A link that explains it a little better..

http://askville.amazon.com/legal-servers-make-minimum-wage/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=8375313