new york

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 Uplift

Uplift

Just below average Joe

• 5,916 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:19

It's shocking that people need tips to survive because they are so under paid. Especially in a country like America.

In the UK tipping is is a courtesy, i tend to tip quite well i always throw an extra few quid to delivery drivers, taxi drivers, end of meals etc...  but would never give extra money to an over the counter worker, nor do they expect it.. usually if there is a couple of pence change you would say keep the change but most of the time they'll throw it into a charity box anyway... but i know some people who do not tip at all and it's a non issue.

#62 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• 16,693 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 11:48

So obviously said by someone who has never worked in the restaurant trade.  You find me one run-of-the-mill restaurant outside a major city where this is the case?  The problem here isn't the 'tipping culture', it's the cause - namely your political system's total lack of legislation in ensuring employers pay their staff a minimum wage that can be lived on.

First off, dont assume you know where I have worked.  I have worked off of tips before and yes, you can make a few hundred some nights depending on the night, the crowd, and where you work.   I have a sister who bartends and she makes at least $200 per night every night.  I have another family member that is a server and some nights she pulls down $400 some nights.

You obviously never worked in the industry if you are blind to this.

It's shocking that people need tips to survive because they are so under paid. Especially in a country like America.

A link that explains it a little better..

http://askville.amaz...questId=8375313

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!