Monstrous stingray is a potential record-breaker

A woman competing in a recent fishing competition off Louisiana reeled up a monstrous stingray that might earn the angler a coveted spot in the listing of state records.

Bebe McElroy?s giant southern stingray weighed 185 pounds, and if the catch is approved by the Louisiana Outdoor Writers Association, it will shatter the current record.

The LOWA lists a 141.31-pound stingray, caught by Hunter Andras in 2004, as the current record.

Bebe McElroy?s stingray was larger than her, but she was seemingly unperturbed by the sight of the eerie-looking behemoth as it materialized beneath a boat she shared with her husband, Victor.

?For years, Vic and I have been catching these stingrays and bringing them to various rodeos for miscellaneous largest fish,? McElroy told the Louisiana Sportsman. ?People were scared to death of them; they wouldn?t get within 10 feet of a little bitty stingray. It?s not going to hurt you.

?I think that we?ve been to several rodeos, and people have figured out you can bring these things in and you don?t have to be afraid of them.?

The couple was fishing in the Desk and Derrick Club?s Diva Rodeo, a competition in which prizes are awarded in various categories.

more

post-37120-0-34587000-1375392830.jpg

I so wonder why humans have to kill so many animals just for sport,it reminds me so much of Elephant hunting which is now mostly banned.

be3e4e3a7ea32cc6e78e3b1e98f2f178.png

Yeah it's mostly banned, yet tons of Ivory tusks are traded in the black market.

Wow... Such a beautiful record breaking animal, now dead :/

FYI stingrays, skates etc are VERY much edible, tasting a lot like scallops. Members of the shark family. Far from a trophy, though the skin could be used by a taxidermist to make one, a 180+ lb stingray is a bunch of high-end eating.

?For years, Vic and I have been catching these stingrays and bringing them to various rodeos for miscellaneous largest fish,

Whilst they may taste nice I dont get the impression from the article that they do it for the food value more for the "sport"

• Like 1