Neowin Monthly Photography Challenge - August '13

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right way to put this here, but here's my take on reflection. Fortunate tonight to have a full moon, time to experiment with moonlight  for lighting. http://fav.me/d6ixxay

moonlight_contemplation_by_droolingmonke

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right way to put this here, but here's my take on reflection. Fortunate tonight to have a full moon, time to experiment with moonlight  for lighting. http://fav.me/d6ixxay

moonlight_contemplation_by_droolingmonke

Mature content is on, hotlinking disabled, rehost somewhere else or  tag differently.

I love the picture, but I have to admit I'm struggling to see the "reflective" aspect of it... unless it's the guy looking very "reflective" then i'll just move along :)

Also can't tell the reflective surface. But a third on the left side could be what looks like the middle bar of a car window. Maybe a reflection in it?

On the other hand, the text below says "Reflecting on the evening's labours that lie ahead.", which leads me to believe that "reflecting" is used as thinking, pondering, not in the sense of mirroring or throwing back another image. Anyway, OP would have to clarify, but still coll picture :-)

Also can't tell the reflective surface. But a third on the left side could be what looks like the middle bar of a car window. Maybe a reflection in it?

On the other hand, the text below says "Reflecting on the evening's labours that lie ahead.", which leads me to believe that "reflecting" is used as thinking, pondering, not in the sense of mirroring or throwing back another image. Anyway, OP would have to clarify, but still coll picture :-)

yup:

reflecting_under_the_full_moon_by_droolingmonkey-d6j2eij

Yes, reflection as the topic definitely left the opportunity of a picture based on reflecting upon something, though that's a bit hard to portray in a picture and an actual reflection makes a cool picture, so I think that's why most of us did that.

Check out this reflection shot, same as the other one I posted but no rain. It actually reflects so much that you can see the blue from the sky in the red paint. http://i.imgur.com/X5lun8l.jpg. Can you tell how into detailing I am? :D

I need to take a visit to the lake and get a reflection picture. Might do that this weekend.

Yes, reflection as the topic definitely left the opportunity of a picture based on reflecting upon something, though that's a bit hard to portray in a picture and an actual reflection makes a cool picture, so I think that's why most of us did that.

Check out this reflection shot, same as the other one I posted but no rain. It actually reflects so much that you can see the blue from the sky in the red paint. http://i.imgur.com/X5lun8l.jpg. Can you tell how into detailing I am? :D

I need to take a visit to the lake and get a reflection picture. Might do that this weekend.

Pfff hand wax or bust :P

Pfff hand wax or bust :p

The hood has two layers of JetSeal topped with a layer of prototype wax that blows away anything I've ever used before. The rest of the car is sufficiently covered, but not as much. I'm about to strip all the wax and sealant and polish it. :D

The hood has two layers of JetSeal topped with a layer of prototype wax that blows away anything I've ever used before. The rest of the car is sufficiently covered, but not as much. I'm about to strip all the wax and sealant and polish it. :D

prototype what? :wacko: And I thought I was OCD on cleaning

Did you clay properly BEFORE waxing?  Should be: Wash, Rinse, Wash, Clay, Rinse with water only, then proceed to polishing, but me ?  I go, wash dry, polish with a gray finishing pad or softer, liquid souveran with white from pinnacle and then mist detailing oh and natural wax only, synthetic is for amateurs :p  Then finally RainX ond windshield and rearshield.  But my biggest pet peeve? This only last a couple of hours, Honduras, Central america is a Dusty, Dirty, Rainy, Muddy ass country ! So I never Ever have my car clean for more than a couple of hours   Pinnacle and XMT ftw and www.autogeek.net for more win as well :laugh:

I've never been a believer of sealants though :p (at least that's what the lazy part of me says...)

Edit: Mind you i'm barely and amateur so take anything I say like a grain of salt :P

Ok thanks Got it I think, what a convoluted way to get a link and Google+ only seems to provide links to folders not images :huh: :D

It's funny, I see the thread everytime I come into this section but have never really looked or paid attention...

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/920556-i-made-a-flickr-to-neowin-posting-webapp/  < much easier way!

Just going through the previous ones! Some good photos guys! Who won the view out of my Window one though? I cant find it.

Warwagon won I believe, he then chose the theme that confused everyone!

prototype what? :wacko: And I thought I was OCD on cleaning

Did you clay properly BEFORE waxing?  Should be: Wash, Rinse, Wash, Clay, Rinse with water only, then proceed to polishing, but me ?  I go, wash dry, polish with a gray finishing pad or softer, liquid souveran with white from pinnacle and then mist detailing oh and natural wax only, synthetic is for amateurs :p  Then finally RainX ond windshield and rearshield.  But my biggest pet peeve? This only last a couple of hours, Honduras, Central america is a Dusty, Dirty, Rainy, Muddy ass country ! So I never Ever have my car clean for more than a couple of hours   Pinnacle and XMT ftw and www.autogeek.net for more win as well :laugh:

I've never been a believer of sealants though :p (at least that's what the lazy part of me says...)

Edit: Mind you i'm barely and amateur so take anything I say like a grain of salt :p

A guy on my Mustang message board and auto geek is working on making his own wax and sent some samples out. It's great stuff. Sealants are great too. They give that longer (several months) lasting protection and a little more of a "candy coating" type look. Sometimes I like to layer them underneath a wax and then just rewax every so often keeping the sealant underneath until it's time to strip it all down and start again. Don't ever negelect your clay before polishing though or else you'll just grind the dirt in even more!

But I could go on on this topic for hours, haha. More pics!!

A guy on my Mustang message board and auto geek is working on making his own wax and sent some samples out. It's great stuff. Sealants are great too. They give that longer (several months) lasting protection and a little more of a "candy coating" type look. Sometimes I like to layer them underneath a wax and then just rewax every so often keeping the sealant underneath until it's time to strip it all down and start again. Don't ever negelect your clay before polishing though or else you'll just grind the dirt in even more!

But I could go on on this topic for hours, haha. More pics!!

indeed!

Come on people! Moar photos and participation deadline is almost up!

Hope this isnt too late. Forgot my tripod on the day I went out so 90% of my shots were a tad blury

. 9579242949_c334ece705_z.jpg

Dates Taken on August 18, 2013 at 8.13PM BST (edit) Posted to Flickr August 24, 2013 at 8.53AM BST (edit)

Exif data Camera Nikon D5100 Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60) Aperture f/3.5 Focal Length 18 mm ISO Speed 100