My SSD is so fast I thought my computer was broken

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:24

<csb>

So I set up my new Crucial M4 last night, installed Windows 8.1 on it, configured everything, and when i get to the first "real" bootup (IE no more "setting things up for you..." bootup stages)...

Well... first a bit of background: on my computer, right after you turn it on, the CPU fan spins to 100% for the first 2 or 3 seconds, and then once the BIOS loads, it slows down to a more reasonable speed.  Also, I have SpeedFan installed and set to run automatically on startup, and when SpeedFan starts up, it too sets the CPU fan to 100% at first, before letting it slow down.

So when I turned on my PC, I saw the Windows splash screen, so I went to do something else.  10 seconds later, I hear the CPU fan spin to 100%, and I think "oh no, there's something wrong with my SSD, and my PC just rebooted in mid-boot".  

But it was SpeedFan.  I never actually thought it would boot that fast.  Hell, I only have a SATA II motherboard, so this drive isn't even running at its full potential.

Also, I'm sure you've seen videos like this a thousand times before, but I just find it so cool that I can do this:

http://youtu.be/iC1dYZDNgMY

</csb>

#2 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:27

I bought a used kingston ssd, on my ancient pc and even though it's not running to it's full potential, I'm amazed at how much faster win7 boots, loads up programs etc...

#3 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:33

Awesome! Glad to hear it! I am running two 512GB Crucial M4s in RAID0.. it is INSANE! :D

#4 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:36

Awesome! Glad to hear it! I am running two 512GB Crucial M4s in RAID0.. it is INSANE! :D

Considering that in the video I posted, I am able to run 14 EXEs in less than 1 second, on just SATA II, what kind of performance benefit are you actually seeing out of two in RAID0?  I mean surely Windows couldn't boot faster than it would with a single drive, could it?

#5 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:41

And if anyone has any tips to make sure that my SSD is configured in Windows 8 properly, I'd love to hear them!

I followed most of this guide:

Sean's Windows 8 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

I disabled prefetching, superfetching, search indexing, system restore, drive idle timeout (although I used 6 hours, not 'never' like he suggested, for idle time garbage collection) and the hibernation file.  I also tried disabling 'windows write-caching buffer flushing', but I didn't see any change in performance.  I actually saw a slight decrease in performance in HD Tune Pro benchmarks.

Is there anything I've missed?  I haven't set up TRIM yet (i dont even have any idea what TRIM is), but I heard that if you try to defrag an SSD with the windows defrag tool, it will change to an "optimize" button, which will "do TRIM" or whatever? :p

#6 cloudstrife13

cloudstrife13

Neowinian Senior

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:42

My cold boot times are about 10-11 seconds. It's amazing what a good SSD + uEFI + Win8/8.1 can do!

SSDs are really amazing, when you look at read and write speeds yeah it's an improvement but you really got to look at random IOPS to see the full benefit.

There's a good reason I'm trying to push Enterprise SSDs into some of the servers we sell/manage at work!

#7 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• Tech Issues Solved: 13

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:42

My SSD is so fast, it shows me tomorrow's News. :p

#8 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:45

My SSD is so fast, it shows me tomorrow's News. :p

cool, gimmee the winning lottery numbers :p

#9 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:51

Did you turn off the flux capacitor? :shifty:

#10 +Brando212

Brando212

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 17
  • Phone: Sony Xperia ZL, Nokia Lumia 925

Posted 01 August 2013 - 23:56

And if anyone has any tips to make sure that my SSD is configured in Windows 8 properly, I'd love to hear them!

I followed most of this guide:

Sean's Windows 8 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs

I disabled prefetching, superfetching, search indexing, system restore, drive idle timeout (although I used 6 hours, not 'never' like he suggested, for idle time garbage collection) and the hibernation file.  I also tried disabling 'windows write-caching buffer flushing', but I didn't see any change in performance.  I actually saw a slight decrease in performance in HD Tune Pro benchmarks.

Is there anything I've missed?  I haven't set up TRIM yet (i dont even have any idea what TRIM is), but I heard that if you try to defrag an SSD with the windows defrag tool, it will change to an "optimize" button, which will "do TRIM" or whatever? :p

most of those things aren't even needed anymore on 8. they either make no noticeable difference or in some cases decrease performance as you noticed. and 8 always auto detects SSDs and enables TRIM so you don't have to worry about that :)

#11 +fusi0n

fusi0n

Don't call it a come back

• Phone: iPhone 6 Plus

Posted 02 August 2013 - 00:09

Considering that in the video I posted, I am able to run 14 EXEs in less than 1 second, on just SATA II, what kind of performance benefit are you actually seeing out of two in RAID0?  I mean surely Windows couldn't boot faster than it would with a single drive, could it?

Yeah.. lol I mean it is pretty damn fast.. Download HD Tach and post your score. since we both have M4s it would be interesting.. here is mine,

raid0.png

#12 tsupersonic

tsupersonic

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: iPhone 6/Nexus 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 00:09

You can check if Trim is enabled - linky. Windows 8 should choose settings that are optimized for your SSD.

My 840 Pro 256GB on SATA 3

Capture.PNG

#13 Raa

Raa

Resident president

• Tech Issues Solved: 8

Posted 02 August 2013 - 00:11

When I got my SSD I wasn't actually that impressed... a pair of Raptors in RAID spoiled it for me lol!

#14 OP moeburn

moeburn

tracer bullet

Posted 02 August 2013 - 00:21

Yeah.. lol I mean it is pretty damn fast.. Download HD Tach and post your score. since we both have M4s it would be interesting.. here is mine,

attachicon.gifraid0.png

I used HD Tune Pro, because its what I already have.  I did a 500mb test using random bits, and I got the best result I've had yet:

HD Tune Pro: M4-CT128M4SSD2 File Benchmark

Drive C:

Transfer rate test

File Size: 500 MB

Sequential read 257693 KB/s

Sequential write 171881 KB/s

Random read 5020 IOPS

Random write 13032 IOPS

Random read (queue depth = 32) 37146 IOPS

Random write (queue depth = 32) 31531 IOPS

pnw0.png

#15 notchinese

notchinese

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 02 August 2013 - 00:23

Turning off hibernation in Windows 8 disables the hybrid boot I believe. That will slow down boot times if you care.