Photo

PS4 Hard Drive: Replaceable / Up-gradable.

ps4 harddrive storage upgrade sony hard drive

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#136 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:41

Can we see the research? If not, it is purely speculation. Speculation is fine, as long as you admit it is speculation, not passing it off as fact or self-evident.

It would be interesting to know just how many people upgraded their HDDs or would like the feature.

To actually believe any significant part of the market cares about this is to completely ignore the last generation. This was made a big deal 8 years ago, and then nobody talked about it the rest of the lifecycle. It clearly didn't affect the 360's market performance.

I may not have discrete numbers but you can be rest assured if this had been a selling point last gen, MS would be allowing it this time around. They have more data than you can imagine.

#137 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:41

Bottom line is this:

Being able to swap out internal HDD... Well of course that's awesome feature to have. Games are getting BIGGER & BIGGER

External HDD being equal to the internal hdd... That's awesome as well.  I've already got it planned out to, install all my games on the external hdd first.  and if my Xbox One does happen to crap out.  I lose nothing.

Sounds like a win win for both consoles.

#138 OP GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia 3110

Posted 07 August 2013 - 13:10

To actually believe any significant part of the market cares about this is to completely ignore the last generation. This was made a big deal 8 years ago, and then nobody talked about it the rest of the lifecycle. It clearly didn't affect the 360's market performance.

I may not have discrete numbers but you can be rest assured if this had been a selling point last gen, MS would be allowing it this time around. They have more data than you can imagine.

I don't think people here care if a significant market share thinks upgradable hard drive is important, they care if they themselves think its useful.

Microsoft had a proprietary hard drive for the X360 which means people are less likely to buy and upgrade the hard drive because the sizes were limited and it wasn't a faster SSD drive.. It was also more pricey.

There was ways around it, but it voided your warranty.

#139 BajiRav

BajiRav

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Lumia 920

Posted 07 August 2013 - 13:17

I don't think people here care if a significant market share thinks upgradable hard drive is important, they care if they themselves think its useful.

Microsoft had a proprietary hard drive for the X360 which means people are less likely to buy and upgrade the hard drive because the sizes were limited and it wasn't a faster SSD drive.. It was also more pricey.

There was ways around it, but it voided your warranty.

As warwagon said, it's a good feature to have for those who care. /thread.

About SSD, will that make any significant difference to loading? (Ignoring the pricing for a 500+ GB SSD, which hopefully will get cheaper as the generation ages).

The warranty concern is only for the covered period. You can always open the box after 1st year provided HDDs can still be flashed and used in there.

#140 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 07 August 2013 - 18:55

The speeds are 5 GB/s USB 3.0 and 6 GB/s SATA III (theoretical) but that mightn't be the only factor which would impact on performance. Maybe the controller in the ext. HDD would impact if it is poor quality (I know some cheaper enclosures have cheap controllers)? Or the drive speed? If you use those WD Green drives which alternate the RPM based on load it might affect performance. If you use a VelociRaptor @ 10,00 RPM it would be fine, but they aren't cheap drives. Even the WD blacks are pretty expensive (for 4TBs). Plus I would want to use an AC powered ext. HDD if I was connecting it to a console to store and run games from. I wouldn't want it powered from the USB port.

As far as I know, unless new info has come out, external drives for the PS4 won't allow game installs. You can put all of your multimedia content on it but no game installs. 

I've seen comparisons between usb 3 and sata 3 regarding ssds and there was little or no performance difference. I could dig some up and post here, but i dont know if anyone is interested in that.  Your right that things like the usb controller affect those numbers.  Based on the reviews I've seen I didnt think performance would be an issue, but I was looking for more info on it. 

I happen to have an external usb 3.0 case.  It was an empty 3.5" case, so I can plug in any drive I want.  I currently have a 4tb drive in it and so that spurred me on to investigate how I could use it with the ps4.  The X1 info was easier to find since they made a specific statement on it. 

Lets remember though that the hard drives built into both consoles are 5400rpm models, which means even a 7200rpm 2.5 or 3.5" drive could outperform it.  Not only that, larger capacity drives have the potential to outperform smaller capacity drives.  So if you had a 4TB 3.5" 7200rpm drive, it could outperform a 500GB 2.5" drive.  Heck, even a 5400/5900 rpm 4TB drive could outperform 500GB 5400rpm drive. 

When one of the merry band of MS apologists comes skipping into a topic telling us why MS made a decision without any evidence, it's kind of frustrating.

I agree, its silly for anyone come in and claim to be the expert on such knowledge.  The truth is none of us know why Sony or MS make many of the choices they make.  They aren't going to tell us everything.  Its all speculation.  I dont mind people giving their theory, thats the point of debates, but those that push speculation as the final word are going too far.

#141 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 08 August 2013 - 19:21

Maybe not in your social circle or you're conveniently blanking out memories even from Neowin, but it was brought up time and time again. I've answered many topics on NW over the years telling people there is no option to expand memory on the 360 like there was on PS3 (until MS added USB support of course).

Even now there is a lot of people either modding together their own hard drives or disassembling the official Slim HDDs to put into the phat 360 enclosures.

Microsoft heard the cries for more storage options. Unfortunately all they did was release highly priced official HDDs and weak USB support. Why not let any size USB HDD? Oh right cause then no one would buy the accessories!

#142 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 08 August 2013 - 21:46

Both options are good. Internal and external...

The fact that internal and external HDD are on equal ground ISP's a jackpot for me. I will NOT install any games to the internal HDD initially. I will have a 2TB or so HDD hooked up to my X1 and that will be my storage and then I will go internal... If my system craps out, I can send it I. And lose nothing. Not even install the game again...

#143 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 08 August 2013 - 23:28

Microsoft heard the cries for more storage options. Unfortunately all they did was release highly priced official HDDs and weak USB support. Why not let any size USB HDD? Oh right cause then no one would buy the accessories!

Thankfully the X1 fixes all of those issues.  MS finally just opened it up for everyone to use what the want via usb.

#144 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 09 August 2013 - 17:21

Thankfully the X1 fixes all of those issues.  MS finally just opened it up for everyone to use what the want via usb.

I know. I was replying to Spenser and about the 360 specifically.

Who knows, maybe when the eventual redesigned "slim" X1 is released they may allow us to switch internal drives.

#145 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 August 2013 - 14:40

I know. I was replying to Spenser and about the 360 specifically.

Who knows, maybe when the eventual redesigned "slim" X1 is released they may allow us to switch internal drives.

That would be nice. 

My guess is that MS didn't want to get into supporting the users that attempted to replace drives or setup the software system to streamline setup of a new drive like Sony does. I'm not sure what would convince them to do it though.  A few of us talking on a forum probably doesn't move the needle.  But MS has shown that they are willing to listen to feedback, so who knows.

Still though, I want both options supported as much as possible.  While I will take advantage of replacing an internal drive, I know for a fact that I will need to use a larger external drive as my game collection grows.  If MS allowed the internal drive to be replaced and Sony allowed an external to act as an internal drive like on the X1, that would be great.

#146 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 10 August 2013 - 16:17

A few of us talking on a forum probably doesn't move the needle.

Don't worry, I've been bothering an old friend outside of NW who works at MS to fix things :laugh: Leave it to me guys (Y) ;)

#147 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 10 August 2013 - 18:02

But MS has shown that they are willing to listen to feedback competition and sales results, so who knows.

fixed.

#148 Ultravires

Ultravires

Neowinian

Posted 10 August 2013 - 18:20

This is not really an issue for me, since you can add an external drive, however does anyone know with the PS4 being replaceable would the original 500GB drive be usable as a normal hd drive for PC (Crap got a bug, i cant use question mark it comes out as É) If not would it be able to plug into one of the usb ports for the ps4 and used as the 2nd drive. 500GB is alot of space to just throw away and not use the drive, even if you have an upgraded drive in the device.

#149 Andrew

Andrew

Guardian

Posted 10 August 2013 - 18:33

This is not really an issue for me, since you can add an external drive, however does anyone know with the PS4 being replaceable would the original 500GB drive be usable as a normal hd drive for PC (Crap got a bug, i cant use question mark it comes out as É) If not would it be able to plug into one of the usb ports for the ps4 and used as the 2nd drive. 500GB is alot of space to just throw away and not use the drive, even if you have an upgraded drive in the device.

Yes there is no reason why not. I repurposed my original PS3/360 HDDs for something when I upgraded them.

#150 ahhell

ahhell

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 August 2013 - 19:11

Yes there is no reason why not. I repurposed my original PS3/360 HDDs for something when I upgraded them.

New ones could have a custom firmware.