Photo

PS4 Hard Drive: Replaceable / Up-gradable.

ps4 harddrive storage upgrade sony hard drive

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#16 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760
  • Phone: HTC One 64GB

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:50

Yeah its been known for a while. Its not any more an advantage this gen than it was last gen. You can hook up any external to an X1 or just use the unlimited cloud storage.

Fast out of the way internal beats hanging external (especially with front USB only) and Cloud any day IMO. But do consoles really need huge storage? If there were rear USB 3.0 ports, I "might" tend to agree with you, but in the living room, the less wires and boxes the better.

I'd rather see, with the more PC-like innards, better SSD support. The PS3 with SSD shows only modest improvement and no/trim, collection support.

#17 spenser.d

spenser.d

Neowinian Senior

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:52

Fast out of the way internal beats hanging external (especially with front USB only) and Cloud any day IMO. But do consoles really need huge storage? If there were rear USB 3.0 ports, I "might" tend to agree with you, but in the living room, the less wires and boxes the better.

I'd rather see, with the more PC-like innards, better SSD support. The PS3 with SSD shows only modest improvement and no/trim, collection support.

No they don't, which is probably part of why MS isn't bothering.  The Xbox One uses USB 3.0, so if you've got something that supports that, it should be plenty fast.

#18 MikeChipshop

MikeChipshop

Miniman

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • OS: Win 8, Win 7, Vista, OSX, iOS, Android, WP8 and various Linux distro's
  • Phone: HTC 8X / Nexus 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 12:59

I see this as a plus for the PS4 but also see that MS already have this covered with the external Hard Drive situation (which can be used for anything the internal can be) and the unlimited cloud storage.

#19 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:02

hooking an external storage to USB, it will use up an USB port (duh),

which means less stuff can be plugged to Xbox One's USB when somebody need to to external storage just because the Xbox One internal HDD became inadequate.

possible USB stuff:

- mouse

- keyboard

- steering wheel

- Flight stick

- VR Glasses

- Lightgun

- External HDD/SSD

#20 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64 Pro w/Media Center Pack, Server 2k12 - Core i7 3770K/16GB DDR3/OCZ Vector 256GB/Gigabyte GTX 760

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:08

No they don't, which is probably part of why MS isn't bothering.  The Xbox One uses USB 3.0, so if you've got something that supports that, it should be plenty fast.

Just to be clear, when I said internal beats, I meant for aesthetics and convenience of not having another box wired somewhere. USB 3.0 will get you the native max speed of anything except an external SSD as far as speed goes. With 64GB USB 3.0 drives pushing 200MBs/100MBs R/W for ~$55 that's a better option IMO.

But still, rear USBs for external storage which neither have. Horrible cost saving measure.

64GB ADATA DashDrive Elite via Keyboard USB 3.0 hub port. Direct port sustains 100MBs writes:

Attached Images

• DashDrive.png

#21 Astra.Xtreme

Astra.Xtreme

Electrical Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:18

Kind of off topic, but has there been any talk regarding using a SSD in the next gen consoles (obviously just on the PS4, at this point)?

It would be nice to have the ability to put in a 256GB+ SSD and get the extreme speed benefits. From what I understand, doing this on the PS3 and 360 did absolutely nothing in terms of speed.

#22 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:19

(xbox) - I didn't care about the lack of drive until they stated that all games will be installed on the HD.  Granted I only play a handful of games at a time and will most likely not need the full HD, i would rather not have another thing to have to plug in.  My area behind my tv stand is already a rats nest of wires.  So I really dont understand the reasoning behind not allowing a HD swap.  Only thing I can think of is the amount of space the OS(s) take up and would need to be stored somewhere other than the hard drive.. oh well.

Back on topic-

Glad Sony stuck with the option to replace the hard drive (although I never thought they would skip it this generation).  I am not sure how many "average Joe's" are going to replace their drives but the gamers will certainly take advantage of this if they DL a ton of games.  I'd imagine the video clips stored will also take up a decent amount of space..

#23 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:30

Wasn't this common knowledge months ago?

You could install XBLA and put gamesaves on them, don't believe disc installs work.

You could but performance sucked or didn't make a difference in most cases.

So you can't replace the X1's HDD? Why not? I am all for enabling ext. HDDs, but I don't see the reason to deny consumers the ability to upgrade their internal storage as well.

.... Unless of course you want to charge them exorbitant prices on branded internal drives.

That's exactly why. Thank god for modders ;) I still get a laugh out of Sony charging £15 for 8 MB back in the day  :laugh:  Internal > external any day. Marcus Beer put it best; "1 box to rule them all", + DVR box + x external drives + X360 = not 1 box at all. Already have enough electronics that need charging/powered I don't want to be hooking up endless EXTs.

#24 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:36

hooking an external storage to USB, it will use up an USB port (duh),
which means less stuff can be plugged to Xbox One's USB when somebody need to to external storage just because the Xbox One internal HDD became inadequate.

possible USB stuff:
- mouse
- keyboard
- steering wheel
- Flight stick
- VR Glasses
- Lightgun
- External HDD/SSD

Mouse and kb on same USB
Wireless
Wireless
Wireless and hdmi
Doesn't work on non scanning displays, also wireless.

Also, USB hubs.

#25 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:50

Armor A80 1TB USB 3.0 bus unpowered external (military drop specs and waterproof). $79. If you can live with another cable and drive to somehow place from the front without your home theatre looking like PC workbench, not too bad. I'm going to conclude point for PS4, but not a big one. Would be more significant if you could buy a PS4 with no drive, which will not happen.

Attached Images

• a80.png

#26 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:00

Replacing internal is simply better, but at least this time around you wont have to give away a weeks food bill to buy a MS branded drive.

#27 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:09

Wasn't this common knowledge months ago?

Since the reveal pretty much

That's exactly why. Thank god for modders ;) I still get a laugh out of Sony charging £15 for 8 MB back in the day  :laugh:  Internal > external any day. Marcus Beer put it best; "1 box to rule them all", + DVR box + x external drives + X360 = not 1 box at all. Already have enough electronics that need charging/powered I don't want to be hooking up endless EXTs.

Why would the external HDD need power ? And if you're using a external cable/sat box, well you already have it along with your Xbox from before....

#28 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:50

Personally, I think 500gb should be sufficient for my use.  Also using the cloud as storage is only under certain circumstances.  I couldn't imagine having to download/stream from the cloud constantly to play.  Hell watching netflix alone can kill my internet cap.  I only get 120gb a month. So for me, and I am sure many others.. the cloud just isn't feasable with the internet connections/service we have.

I don't mind the whole internal vs. External thing, however having 3 kids that can be quite clumsy.. I would be scared of having an external that they decide to take, move, touch, etc.  So for me, and my internet/family situation.. the ps4's internal upgrade capability is far better than "Cloud" or External solutions.

#29 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:56

Personally, I think 500gb should be sufficient for my use.  Also using the cloud as storage is only under certain circumstances.  I couldn't imagine having to download/stream from the cloud constantly to play.  Hell watching netflix alone can kill my internet cap.  I only get 120gb a month. So for me, and I am sure many others.. the cloud just isn't feasable with the internet connections/service we have.

I don't mind the whole internal vs. External thing, however having 3 kids that can be quite clumsy.. I would be scared of having an external that they decide to take, move, touch, etc.  So for me, and my internet/family situation.. the ps4's internal upgrade capability is far better than "Cloud" or External solutions.

I understand your worry, but you'll be lucky to hit 1Gb on cloud data. Watching a 1080p stream is a lot different to a couple of compressed bits and bobs.

If you move to a different console on the PS4, will you be able to download your game saves or anything?

#30 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

Posted 02 August 2013 - 15:06

Google upgrading PS3 hard drive. Few people. Okay.

http://www.youtube.c...=ps3 hard drive

Top result, over 1 million views. Many others, over 100k.

I agree lots of people upgraded their PS3 hard drives. But with the next gen coming in at 500GB, it will probably be enthusiasts and people with huge HD libraries. As drives get faster and denser with more cache, it would be nice, but again, we're talking enthusiasts.

I don't think too many people will be connecting front USB drives. But they really shouldn't need it.