• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:32

From Engadget: 

Plain old civilians like us can't buy Xbox One just yet, but some lucky folks who work for Microsoft already have beta units in their homes. Xbox VP Marc Whittenshared that tidbit, among others, with Xbox spokeperson Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb on a recent podcast. Not only do some folks internal to Microsoft have beta kits of final retail units, but many game developers have their hands on final versions of development kits.

Given that last bit, Whitten said that Microsoft increased the Xbox One's GPU clock speed from 800MHz to 853MHz, released its "mono driver" to developers -- a DirectX graphics driver "100% optimized for Xbox One" -- and more and more games are inching closer to "final" every day as a result. Essentially, Whitten's signaling the transition for Xbox One from a model seen only at press briefings to a physical thing you can own and use. Though Whitten kept mum about many other details, he repeatedly reiterated that we'd hear more solid detail at Gamescom in a few weeks. We'll of course be on the ground in Cologne, hounding Whitten and co. for more.

Today's Xbox One news comes just over a week after Microsoft revealed a moreindie-friendly publishing model for its upcoming game console. It was also recently revealed that each Xbox One console acts as debug hardware, allowing developers to run incomplete code on any box -- a concept with major implications. Xbox One arrives this November and, should you be convinced by Microsoft's next-gen game console, it'll cost you $500.

Source: http://www.engadget....-internal-beta/

This doesn't surprise me as there was a rumor which pointed to this a while back. Now it makes more sense to hear developers say the boxes are pretty equal, for example John Carmack. I hope they release more specifics about the hardware because we've not heard too much officially. I'm listening to the podcast now to see if there's anymore cool tid bits to add. 

#2 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:52

Could do with a bit more

PS4 GPU @ 800MHz
1.84 TFLOPS
57,600 MTex/s
25,600 MPix/s
176GB/s

Xbox One GPU @ 853MHz
1.31 TFLOPS
40,944 MTex/s
13,648 MPix/s
68GB/s + eSRAM

On a related note I hope this is because it really can be done okay, and not to try and close the gap on the PS4 and worry about any issues overclocking this late later (aka "RROD"). It's a strange number to land on 53mhz.

#3 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:55

I guess that increase is better than nothing, even if it's still far behind. Multiplatform games will suffer slightly less now.

#4 OP JonnyLH

JonnyLH

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2013 - 13:56

Could do with a bit more

PS4 GPU @ 800MHz
1.84 TFLOPS
57,600 MTex/s
25,600 MPix/s
176GB/s

Xbox One GPU @ 853MHz
1.31 TFLOPS
40,944 MTex/s
13,648 MPix/s
68GB/s + eSRAM

On a related note I hope this is because it really can be done okay, and not to try and close the gap on the PS4 and worry about any issues overclocking this late later (aka "RROD"). It's a strange number to land on 53mhz.

Not really, it creates an unbalance between the CPU and GPU because of the memory architecture. Also, its far from raw specs. The recent developer interviews should show you that.

What's interesting on this podcast is he's referring how they've build DirectX for the X1. They took 11.2 and took any PC elements out of it and created it specifically for the X1 so it's '100% optimized' for the X1.

#5 GotBored

GotBored

Moved to NeoGAF

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:00

Could do with a bit more

PS4 GPU @ 800MHz
1.84 TFLOPS
57,600 MTex/s
25,600 MPix/s
176GB/s

Xbox One GPU @ 853MHz
1.31 TFLOPS
40,944 MTex/s
13,648 MPix/s
68GB/s + eSRAM

The new Xbox One is a large unit, heat dissipation was one of Microsoft's major concerns after the RROD fiasco so they built it bigger with more room for air flow and additional cooling.

I don't think they'd have any over-heating issues this time around it cost them way too much in warranty returns/repairs.

#6 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:09

People need to stop looking at just the raw theoretical numbers the hardware "could" do when that's never been the case.   It's been said a number of times that even if you have 30% more hardware "power" it doesn't equal a 30% performance gain/difference.  These things don't scale like that.

When developers say the two are close they mean it, the difference is more like 10-15% I bet, and at that we're talking a few extra frames per second, around 5 or so depending on what number one is running at as the base.  But if XB1 games already hit 60fps at 1080p then if the PS4 does 69fps it matters little in the end.  

#7 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:11

Could do with a bit more

PS4 GPU @ 800MHz
1.84 TFLOPS
57,600 MTex/s
25,600 MPix/s
176GB/s

Xbox One GPU @ 853MHz
1.31 TFLOPS
40,944 MTex/s
13,648 MPix/s
68GB/s + eSRAM

why did you just write eSRAM,and not 124GB/S ???

#8 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:15

The new Xbox One is a large unit, heat dissipation was one of Microsoft's major concerns after the RROD fiasco so they built it bigger with more room for air flow and additional cooling.

I don't think they'd have any over-heating issues this time around it cost them way too much in warranty returns/repairs.

Well they will have more heat than Sony due to embedded RAM. I believe it's something like 5 billions transistors in the Xbox One and 3. something billion in the PS4? 

#9 OP JonnyLH

JonnyLH

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:16

People need to stop looking at just the raw theoretical numbers the hardware "could" do when that's never been the case.   It's been said a number of times that even if you have 30% more hardware "power" it doesn't equal a 30% performance gain/difference.  These things don't scale like that.

When developers say the two are close they mean it, the difference is more like 10-15% I bet, and at that we're talking a few extra frames per second, around 5 or so depending on what number one is running at as the base.  But if XB1 games already hit 60fps at 1080p then if the PS4 does 69fps it matters little in the end.  

Far from it, the software/hardware harmony matters more in a console because its fixed hardware. If you've got poor development tools and software stacks then you're not going to be able to exploit much of the power in a optimized way. GDDR also creates HUGE bottlenecks in the CPU.

I'm excited to see so much used of the cloud in the release titles. Turn 10 stating that they can off-load 10-20% of the load on the cloud, does actually give 10%-20% more power to work with.

#10 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:25

Far from it, the software/hardware harmony matters more in a console because its fixed hardware. If you've got poor development tools and software stacks then you're not going to be able to exploit much of the power in a optimized way. GDDR also creates HUGE bottlenecks in the CPU.

I'm excited to see so much used of the cloud in the release titles. Turn 10 stating that they can off-load 10-20% of the load on the cloud, does actually give 10%-20% more power to work with.

I agree with the optimization being so important but I'm just pointing out that even if one GPU has 30% more hardware resources/raw theoretical power it doesn't give it a 30% performance advantage as well.  It's like some people don't follow benchmarks for things.  CPUs and GPUs just don't scale that way.  

#11 OP JonnyLH

JonnyLH

Neowinian

Posted 02 August 2013 - 14:28

I agree with the optimization being so important but I'm just pointing out that even if one GPU has 30% more hardware resources/raw theoretical power it doesn't give it a 30% performance advantage as well.  It's like some people don't follow benchmarks for things.  CPUs and GPUs just don't scale that way.  

Yeah sorry, I just word my posts in a weird way. I was referring to the FPS difference.

If you was calculating pi to a billion decimal places, then the PS4's GPU would be a large percentage faster. With games, it's more about optimizing the processes in parallel the best way possible to get the most out of the GPU. The GPU is hardly ever maxed out.

#12 Showan

Showan

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 02 August 2013 - 19:59

The New Generation should be called: THE SPEC SHEET WARS...

I threw "Spec Sheet" brag out the window years ago.

The PS2 Spec Sheet was better than the Dreamcast.

I felt the Dreamcast was the better performer.

I've learned to take physical/software performance over whats written down.

If Microsoft has all the hardware and software working in harmony... And give the developers the proper tools (which are always top notch)....

I'm sold...  I was sold at the reveal...

#13 Blackhearted

Blackhearted

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2 (VM)

Posted 02 August 2013 - 20:20

The New Generation should be called: THE SPEC SHEET WARS...

I threw "Spec Sheet" brag out the window years ago.

The PS2 Spec Sheet was better than the Dreamcast.

I felt the Dreamcast was the better performer.

I've learned to take physical/software performance over whats written down.

If Microsoft has all the hardware and software working in harmony... And give the developers the proper tools (which are always top notch)....

I'm sold...  I was sold at the reveal...

In the case of the ps2/dc, the specs sheet was right. The ps2 did far more than the dreamcast would have been capable of.

And you were seriously sold on "TV TV TV"?

#14 Showan

Showan

Neowinian

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 02 August 2013 - 20:50

In the case of the ps2/dc, the specs sheet was right. The ps2 did far more than the dreamcast would have been capable of.

And you were seriously sold on "TV TV TV"?

Yes I'm sold on tv,tv,tv...sports. skype. snap in... all digital library where i can jump in between games and college sports and the NFL, and back to my Watch Dogs in a split second....

I'm paying $500 it better do more than game...

#15 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 02 August 2013 - 21:07

Could do with a bit more

PS4 GPU @ 800MHz
1.84 TFLOPS
57,600 MTex/s
25,600 MPix/s
176GB/s

Xbox One GPU @ 853MHz
1.31 TFLOPS
40,944 MTex/s
13,648 MPix/s
68GB/s + eSRAM

Was there ever confirmation on the eSRAM running at 192GB/s? I saw that floating around a while back.

Either way, more speed is always better. What it means overall is less clear to me.

As far as this impacting the reliability of the console, it sounds like they are aiming to squeeze every bit of performance out of the hardware within their thermal limit. That 53 number may be evidence of nearing the thermal limit they built the machine to handle.

Its nice to hear they are still refining the system though.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!