Your tech confessions: What are you afraid to admit?

Afraid to admit? Eh not much. A few "derps" maybe. I did avoid the mouse for a few years as I thought was just a fad that wouldn't catch on, same with Windows 1.. not going to go anywhere, nothing worth while runs on it and I don't like Reversi, I'll stick to DOS with DesqView and Unix thanks. Web browsers too, who needs it, I got Gopher and Veronica.

Back in around 1995 I saw an External touch pad for a desktop and I thought it was soooo cool. I wanted one to replace my mouse. I soon learned how worthless it was compared to an actual mouse. Still the case today.

Oh gawd those were horrible, I still got one in storage somewhere. Had something I think was called a "CyberPuck" too.. a 3D mouse-like.. thing. Yea, about as accurate as typing with your forehead.

Ah yes, the Roy Trenneman Solution, guaranteed to work ninety-something percent of the time. Provided you know what a button is and how to use it. :D

No, not on clothes!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

My desktop is a Dell machine that is now 7 years old.  It works so well that I can't justify replacing it. I won't post a picture of it in the workstations thread because everyone has a cooler machine than I do.  :cry:

I've never built a computer because the whole idea of screwing up the application of thermal paste scares the bejesus out of me, I'd rather have it built for me  :cry:

I had my whole house renovated including replacing all electrics and plumbing but chose not to have CAT5E put in to save money I could afford  :cry:

The number of expansion cards I have bricked by trying to correctly seat them whilst the machine is on is more than I can count on one hand, possibly two hands  :cry:

As for trackpads - Apple's Magic Trackpad has completely changed my opinion of them. I use a mouse for gaming - that's it. If I'm not playing a game, I use the trackpad.

Tell me about it! I'm worried at the moment because my Macbook is on its way out and I need to think about my next machine. Part of me wants to move back to Windows - mostly for gaming, but also for overall compatibility - but I'm not sure I'd be able to cope without the fantastic trackpad that the Macbook offers. Ok, obviously I would be able to cope, but this thing is a serious pro for staying with Mac.

(And before anyone mentions it, I am fully aware that I could go dual-boot with a Mac, but I fell for that when I first got this Mac and I don't want to go through the hassle again.)

• I google every problem I have to deal with (pretty much)

I have made some lovely site designs but I always start out with a pre-made template and customize it heavily :blush: (in my defence, to the point that the original would not be recognisable.)

I can't compile my own Android kernel

Since mhz/ghz hasn't been as important, I have found it hard to keep up with processor specs and why they're faster. I have to just look at benchmarks.

I often pretend to myself that I have a fantasticly good PC even though a year passed since I built it and I only bought mid range stuff to begin with.

I'm too poor to buy iPads/Nexus' so I buy cheapo chienese MTK and RK30xx phones and tablets instead...

I cant type without my head down, dont have to be looking at the keys, just my head has to be down, also I dont know how to solder :(

I thought soldering would be really hard but in the last couple of months have learned how. I'm still hit and miss with how tidy I am but it's actually not that hard!

The number of expansion cards I have bricked by trying to correctly seat them whilst the machine is on is more than I can count on one hand, possibly two hands  :cry:

... just switch it off first? :S

• When I get frustrated I take it out on my keyboard. I've broken two of them over the years.  :(

I bought a Blu-ray drive but only used it a few times?just to test it worked?before I disconnected it a year later to add an extra hard-drive. Complete waste of money.

I spent ?860 on a GTX 680 SLI setup and ?700 on a 30" 2560x1600 display yet spend most of my times browsing the internet or playing undemanding games like Civilization V and King's Bounty.

I bought a Leap Motion because I thought it would revolutionise computing.

I still want to buy the Oculus Rift.

... just switch it off first? :s

I know... just always seems like the right thing to do in the moment. The last one was an IBM RAID controller.

Thankfully I have only borked a single motherboard doing it so far.

1. I still have an Atari Lynx, and a Atari Portfolio laying around somewhere. I have to find where I put them actually.
2. Still have an Amiga 500 in perfect working order. Still play FA-18 Interceptor on it from time to time. 
3. I know how to program in DOS

4. I was the guy who ripped the Buffy tv show and made it available on the web back in 95-99, posting them on alt.binaries.tv.buffy.

5. Pretty sure I have other embarressing stories but I can think of any more just yet

I still write letters on a 386 with Windows 3.11 and Word 2.0 and print them on a HP Deskjet 500. Kind of amazing that they still make new ink cartridges for it. If someone would make a Skydrive extension for Windows 3.1, that would be great.

I too, cannot type without looking down, despite knowing how to type.

I know squat on PHP.  And, I hate doing the graphical design of websites, yet love coding the logic behind them.

Everyone says I have OCD on cleaning as my house is always clean yet, my computer office is trashed 99% of the time.

I will never be a fan of Apple, MS, Android, etc. To me each device, os, and company behind it will always have their pros/cons.

I have yet to play a game on a counsel unit.

tu7IFqX.jpg

ALso, these ones that cant be memified:

1. Not really tech related, but I sometimes troll fellow kids on ask.fm

2. I dont know what hyperthreads are, or what is the use of cores, besides the granny definition "to run the apps"

3. I don't understand the hate for 1366 x 768 screens, I actually use a netbook with one.

4. My laptop runs on a USB cooler because the fan and processor cant handle the many Chrome tabs I have(befor I had it, the lappy would randomly go to sleep mode, making me wait a few minutes to reopen)

5. My internet connection is really slow, that even a 3-minute youtube video on 144p would buffer

6. My laptop has 2 GB RAM, and I have no plans on adding more giggies.

7. I get jealous when someone(usually on the 'net) says that their laptop/desktop has <insert specs better than the one on mine>

40253471.jpg

Frankly, I think this is true for a lot of people. I would love to see some double-blind testing about this.

Frankly, I think this is true for a lot of people. I would love to see some double-blind testing about this.

A lot of good / the best studio headphones are in the $50 - $100 range. You do not need liquid unobtanium to make good speakers of that size.

Related to the topic, I have an Intel K series still running at stock clock speed.Also my iPhone has about 45 apps that need updating.

I get envious of everyones beautiful workstation setup. No matter how hard I try I cant get mine to look like anything cool.

It scares the hell out of me working on a switch miles away. Especially on our core (Nexus) network lol.