Photo

Doctor Pays Settlement With 600,000 Quarters

illinois surgeon car accident insurance benefits court-order federal reserve bank

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#46 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 18:15

Another stupid ruling that goes to show how broken our judicial system really is.

#47 M_Lyons10

M_Lyons10

Neowinian Senior

• 13,932 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 19:05

Because it's a mean, nasty and petty thing to do.  He got more than enough money out of his son's death (why did he get any?) and the court found that the other passengers were entitled to compensation too - fairly and squarely. 

If I believed in karma I'd say that he got what he deserved.

Why did he get ANY??

I would have to see the actual breakdown on this one, but the loss of life generally does have a higher payout than injury (The expenses of which were likely already addressed separately)...  In addition, the majority of this money it appears came from his own policy, which he had taken out and which would not have any impact on the amount being paid out by the under-insured motorist's coverage...

So, while I won't comment on the fairness of the disbursement without being able to see the formula or how this was awarded, I also don't think it fair for someone that lost a loved one and received an approved payout for that wrongful death, to have to give some of the money back...  It's just not right.

#48 SirEvan

SirEvan

Neowinian Senior

• 3,398 posts
  • Phone: HTC One (AT&T)

Posted 06 August 2013 - 16:09

apparently at the very least, he has to be present while the count every little coin. 

You realize that coins from the bank come rolled up and sealed, right?

#49 HawkMan

HawkMan

Neowinian Senior

• 22,207 posts
  • Phone: Noka Lumia 1020

Posted 06 August 2013 - 16:14

You realize that coins from the bank come rolled up and sealed, right?

Yeah, if someone paid me in those, I'd still open them and count them, I don't trust people. 

#50 Houtei

Houtei

Neowinian

• 629 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 16:54

Yeah I feel like if you look at how well off the guy was already maybe he didnt need to get the majority share but im sorry he DID deserve an equal share atleast.  I mean some of you are basiclly saying that if you are going to accidentlly run into a car full of people you better kill them cause if they die you shouldnt owe them?  He should pay the injured people more cause they managed to live? They should get all their medical expenses paid and then some.  In this guys case he should get paid because his son died regardless how well off he is or the fact he had life insurance.   I believe they call it mental anguish.  I dont care who you are unless your a psychopath if you lose a Son you are severely damaged mentally alot more so than a injured son. The law doesnt just pay for physical damage.

#51 Davo

Davo

Neowinian

• 1,399 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 17:15

I feel like there's so few details in this story. From what I understand, the life insurance money was separate. The courts then determined that most of the car insurance money should go to the family of the one who died. It was most likely appealed by those who got injured because they then had no money to cover them for what happened.

#52 Tews

Tews

Professional Lurker

• 2,005 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 17:21

Yeah, if someone paid me in those, I'd still open them and count them, I don't trust people. 

And then you would have to re-roll all of those loose quarters, cause they don't trust YOU!!  :rolleyes: