'Akira' is back on track at Warner Bros.

299.png

However, reports have now surfaced that Warner Bros. is revving Akira up once more, complete with Collet-Serra returning to the director?s chair.

Warner Bros. has apparently been looking at other directors to possibly come in and make Akira for the studio?s new, lower budget (including Catfish and Paranormal Activity 4 helmers Henry Joost and Ariel Schulman), Variety reports that the studio was always keen on Collet-Serra?s vision and now the director is in discussions to return to the project.  Apparently Collet-Serra has found time in his busy schedule to fit Akira in, and he?s also found another way to approach the material that fits in with WB?s new budget.

http://collider.com/akira-movie-jaume-collet-serra-budget/

I look at Hollywood's track record at anime adaptations and I say hells no. The one live adaptation that was good was the Kenshin movie and that was done by the Japanese studios. Let their Japanese studio handle it, because when its done by Hollywood we get unspeakable abominations like "Dragonball Evolution"...
*Shudder*

Without looking at their track records I'd say "hell no". Hollywood shouldn't touch Japanese manga/anime, imo. It's different than making adaptations off of comic-books/cartoons. Japanese anime/manga just isn't the same as American comic-books/cartoons. I bet they'll just make a dumbed down, Americanized version of the original and that the only similarity will be the bike.

While some anime adoptions make sense, and I feel there's a distinct lack of futuristic/SciFi movies that aren't dirty, dystopian or post apocalyptic, I'm not sure Akira would work well as a movie adoption. in any case a proper movie would need to be a long trilogy anyway, but that's beside the point since they base it on the anime. 

it's a complex story I'm not sure would work well on the average movie goer anyway, the rest will see that the anime does the story more justice than a live action would.

Without looking at their track records I'd say "hell no". Hollywood shouldn't touch Japanese manga/anime, imo. It's different than making adaptations off of comic-books/cartoons. Japanese anime/manga just isn't the same as American comic-books/cartoons. I bet they'll just make a dumbed down, Americanized version of the original and that the only similarity will be the bike.

My first thought when they talked about this being worked on again, but they didn't know if the guy playing the main role was still on board was "I wonder who they think the main character is..."

^What makes you say they're basing it off of the anime though? I thought they were basing it off of the original manga material. And yeah, a trilogy would seem better. Either way, they won't be able to live up to the anime/manga.

The anime is also based of the Manga :)

either way, there's no way to fit the Manga in a single movie. then you're right back at the anime...

^Yeah, I know. But loads of things from the Manga is missing. So it's more of a condensed version and almost a different story than that of the manga. That's why I asked what made you say they're basing it off of the manga :p

It'll be a trainwreck either way. Though I'm only saying that because I love the manga/anime and I don't want Hollywood to touch japanese media, haha. I'm sure other people who haven't read or seen the anime yet might like it.

Other than dragonball what else has Hollywood done from anime/manga?  I don't know of anything off the top of my head.

Other than dragonball what else has Hollywood done from anime/manga?  I don't know of anything off the top of my head.

none cuz they know it will fail.

Tank girl. which isn't absolutely terrible, but then I didn't really watch the anime.

I believe they are or where doing Battle Angel Alita to, that I'm kind of looking forward to however. I know there's a few other Animes they turned into live action that they did a horrible job on, but I think I forced them out of my memory :)

There's also a shelved Ghost In The Shell adaptation which no way in hell will be the same as the source material either.

@GP007: Making adaptations of manga/anime just isn't the same as comic books/films. I don't really know how to properly explain this. The adaptations will just be too Americanized with big ass explosions and whatnot. I don't mean that as being all negative about Hollywood, but they tend to do such things :p It works for comic-book adaptations like the ones we've had so far from Hollywood, but anime/manga is just way different. IMO, it's just not made for Hollywood adaptations.

But, that's just me anyway, I don't really want to be all negative in a thread. I was annoyed by it when some people did that in the Superman/Batman movie thread. So I'm just going to stop here :p