Woman tricked into buying 2 actual apples

There are apples, the fruit, and Apple iPhones, and usually it?s pretty easy to tell the difference.

Unfortunately, an Australian woman caught up in a scam ended up paying $1,200 for two pieces of fruit.

The crime of produce happened on a Website called Gumtree. According to the Herald Sun, the 21-year-old scam victim placed an ad asking if anyone had an iPhone for sale.

She got a response from another woman who said she could sell her two. The two met at a McDonald?s where the buyer handed the seller $1,200 and was handed two ?iPhone boxes that looked new.? The woman didn?t check to see what was inside.

She finally looked once she got home, and found fruit, not phones, inside. :|

Police from the Queensland town of Upper Mount Gravatt, near Brisbane, pointed out that people should be ?wary? when buying online.

"Don't stay away, because most people are doing the right thing, but be smart about what you buy," Senior Constable Jess Hopkin told the Herald Sun.

Commenters on the Web were less kind. Andrew Perrott wrote on the Independent, ?The sheer stupidity of some people defies belief.?

Marcin Karpinski added, ?Nowadays, phones are smarter and more intelligent than their owners.?

A third offered, ? I have an Xbox box for sale.?

source

poor dumb thing.    i bet she learned her lesson.   

i got ripped off buying stuff in person without proper checking when i was her age too.

I am always confused how this happens...

I mean I wouldn't dare give the person anything before I have not only opened the box, but verified that the phone was working and not reported stolen anywhere.

The first thing I'd do is actually check the iPhones. I mean even if there are actually phones in the box they might be damaged etc.

this how dumb you have to be not to check and item inside when doing this type of transaction.

this how dumb you have to be not to check and item inside when doing this type of transaction.

No kidding, not to mention the amount she was paying for them. I typically don't hand over the money for something I'm buying second-hand until I've looked over the product and verified it is what I want to pay money for. Giving her $1,200, grabbing the two boxes then walking off was 100% stupidity.

• Like 3

this sort of scam is more common than you might think. if you are buying anything off of someone that is boxed, even if its sealed, look in the box before parting with any cash. you might be surprised by a box that feels like a phone or laptop and open it to find some bottles of water.

I love Gumtree, it's owned by eBay, but you can't trust everyone.  It's not like eBay where you have protections in place, it's only a classifieds website.

This is one of the reasons why I like ebay's policy.

It's not foolproof, but this day and age, nothing is.

I do feel sorry for her though,

Why feel sorry for her?it was her mistake for not checking the contents before paying. a smart person would of done that, but she was obviously not smart. true not everyone is.

Why feel sorry for her?it was her mistake for not checking the contents before paying. a smart person would of done that, but she was obviously not smart. true not everyone is.

I was trying not to appear as a sarcastic, smug as*hole

• Like 1