portable HD to plug into my Smart TV

I think I know the answer to this, but im gonna ask anway! Im going to buy a portable HD to plug into my Smart TV (Samsung) which I use for storing my movies via the TV. I also want to use it for PVR functionality too. When I rip my own DVDs I do it from my laptop, and rather than unplugging the HD, itd be cool if I could see the portable HD which would be attached to my TV, from my laptop. My TV is DLNA and connected to the network via Ethernet.

Is there any method of being able to see this from my laptop, using software or something? I suspect no. but thought id ask.

Thanks 

Do it within Windows. As long as the laptop and the TV are on the same network, enable sharing for the drive. 

If you are using Windows 7  (or Vista and probably 8), right click on the drive and go to "Share With" and play away or you can click on properties and find it in there. Then I would assume the TV should be able to find it :)

Make sure your new Smart TV has the ability to run Plex. Install the Plex server on your Windows, Mac or UNIX box, and stream away. Plex is Awesome!

Or better yet just grab a xTB NAS drive, install the Plex server on the NAS, Plug the NAS into your network, Install Plex on the Smart TV, and stream away directly from the NAS drive.