Microsoft should embrace the 'Villain' role

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:45

Just hear me out. I don't know abouth others but, I've always loved Darth Vader over Skywalker.
Magneto over Xavier. Bad Shepard over good Shepard. I'm not an evil guy by any means, and all the above has at one point or another did the right thing for the greater good.

Microsoft has been been getting slammed for almost 3months now. Ever since the reveal, they have not been able to catch a break. Its as if it's one thing after another (and that's not even including products outside of Xbox).

I say fight back, and with a vengeance. No, I don't mean be a jerk towards consumers. Like how they are trying with the Surface commercials, knocking the iPad (though it's not working for them in the tablet market). It could work for them in the Gaming space.

Microsoft, you have already been labeled the evil empire. Time to embrace it. No, I don't mean rip the consumer off. Like when Sony kicked hard while you were down kind of evil. I'm all in with the Xbox One, but Sony played their hand very well. Buy a 3rd party studio that loves making Playstation games, just to be a jerk. Heck even find a way to work with Nintendo (though that would be impossible) and brag about it.

Embrace being the Villain. I know the Villain usually loses, but this fight can be a victory for the Villain. Get Disney, to let you use Vader in your Xbox One ads (still hate the fact they own Satr Wars now), can you picture hearing a Vader voice saying Xbox On in a commercial. Geek like me would love it.

Heck I would buy a PS4 dev kit, make something awesome ( not a game though, that would be to time consuming) for it and never release it. Show it off to the press, and then brag that they can make Playstation software better than Sony can.

Sony right now as it stands, is the 'Can't do wrong, Golden Child'... Mite as well be the Nemisis.

Embrace your inner Villain, Microsoft... Embrace it...

#2 RatherLargeBear

RatherLargeBear

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 03 August 2013 - 10:53

Ummm..... how about no.

#3 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:02

Embracing the Xbox One's bad points in a non-sarcastic fashion

Embrace your inner Villain, Microsoft... Embrace it...

Only on Neowin.

#4 OP Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia 521

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:39

Embracing the Xbox One's bad points in a non-sarcastic fashion

Only on Neowin.

I see your point. But how long does one stay the punching bag?

#5 Torolol

Torolol

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:47

nah, MS are way too powerful, it can last being punching bag for very lengthy duration.

#6 CJEric

CJEric

Neowinian Senior

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:57

"to be a jerk […] brag about it […] this fight can be a victory for the Villain […] Vader […] Geek like me would love it"

Vader as a spokesperson for Microsoft. Sounds fun. I'm all for it (not that I really care about consoles either way) .  :)

#7 compl3x

compl3x

OK. compl3x again.

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:03

No company would intentionally create a negative image of itself.

There are plenty of MS/Xbox fans. This forum proves there is still a lot o loyalty to that brand.

#8 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 03 August 2013 - 13:04

Microsoft to sony in vaders voice? Sony i am your father

#9 GotBored

GotBored

Brain Trust

• Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:13

Microsoft to sony in vaders voice? Sony i am your father

Luke Skywalker beats Vader in the final duel before Vader gets killed, not really a good image to market a storyline where you competitor beats you and then you die.

#10 vcfan

vcfan

POP POP RET

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:30

oh the same big bad m$ of the last 2 decades...online. you know,if it isn't mac,its something else that's supposedly better. then comes the real world test, and the excuses start flowing,kinda like windows 8...oh but...but... people are forced to buy it. quite enjoyable to read.

#11 startscreennope

startscreennope

Neowinian

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:04

How to commit business hara-kiri. Only on Neowin.

#12 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:25

How about this.....Microsoft turns away from the dark side to the good side and wins the day.

#13 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:36

It just so happens that ****ing with gamers never ends well, so many companies have experienced this by now. Your overall image could still be iffy in the masses eyes (across all your products and services), but if you please the gamers, you'll gain some extremely strong vocal loyalty.

So no, being a villain in the gamers eyes is never going to end well. I do not even think Apple loyalty surpasses the lengths gamers go to.

#14 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:24

No, just no. MS has been on the right path for weeks now, they are actually turning things around with positive news. This isn't a movie or a WWE performance.

No company would intentionally create a negative image of itself.

There are plenty of MS/Xbox fans. This forum proves there is still a lot o loyalty to that brand.

This forum proves very little. Maybe it proves that the console wars have infected every forum (i.e. the ridiculous arguments, trolling, bash...blah...blah...blah).

Over the years of following such forums, it seems clear they rarely reflect the real popularity of a product. Internet posters are very fickle and can turn on a product very quickly and hold long grudges.

#15 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:31

They already have, it's called "Windows 8 / 8.1"

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!