Microsoft should embrace the 'Villain' role

Fixed it for you. :)  

And what is your point exactly?  Oh wait, its that you hate 8 and 8.1, got it.

See this is a great example of why we can't talk about this stuff. Belittle it all you want, I believe the point stands. MS isn't going to play the bad guy card like Apple.

I must be some MS sympathizer for not expressing how terrible 8 is.

My point was more about the level of defence Microsoft receives on this forum for any and all of their products even if something is objectively bad or inferior.

The rose-tinted glasses on this forum about MS is staggering.

This topic is to some degree proof of it. You existentially have someone saying "Hey, MS, deliberately be unlikeable so people will like you". WTF kind of logic is that!?

You guys like to point out that this forum is so pro MS, blah blah blah.

Since I started following and posting here, I've seen every bit as much anti MS as anywhere else, with the same mix of name calling and general trolling

I try not to argue with the fanboys or trolls. They win by stirring us up. As you say though, its hard to ignore unfair or untrue posts.

Like when Microsoft Xbox Executive Don Mattrick told people who had no stable internet connection to buy a 8 year old console 'Xbox 360" instead?

Don Mattrick ? ?Fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to get some form of connectivity, it?s called Xbox 360.?

Or when they tell you direct lies?

?I mean we?re really not going to change anything we?ve done with Xbox One.? ? Major Nelson aka Larry Hryb, 96 hours before changing the whole DRM policy. 

Or the ?#dealwithit? ? Adam Orth, Ex-Creative Director at Microsoft Studios trend.

I could keep going, but realistically it doesn't matter to me how they conduct themselves at the end of the day if the product is good and I want it I'll buy it.

With that being said I'm only getting the Xbox One for its kinect features cause that's the only thing I think the Xbox One has over the PS4, PS4 I'll buy to play all other games that don't utilize motion-free controls.

Your right, they made those statements and it was wrong. No doubt about it. Luckily Don is gone.

I agree that they make their share of stupid statements. Unfortunately that applies to all 3 console makers. Sony being the worst offender this gen and so far its MS for the start of next gen.

I think you have already stated many times that your only buying an X1 for Kinect, not because of non-Kinect games or for any other feature. Frankly, I couldn't waste $500 on a console that I only wanted for one feature. So far, I'm getting both due to the games I want and the features that matter to me.

The fighting is just ugly imo.

I used to love Microsoft, just like everyone else I used to download and install builds of Windows all the time. I even did it with 8, but since then, its true, Microsoft have lost their way, and now I havent gotten a build of Windows 8 since Beta 1. The only Microsoft product that is half decent these days is Microsoft Office 2013. Im just hoping Windows 9 is actually built for desktop users in mind...

I hear ya. Back in the day I downloaded every preview and beta and whatnot of every Microsoft product I could get my hand on. Now, meh. I did try 8 for a couple of weeks but I doubt I even bother with 8.1. Things have just changed for me.

All evil companies are shown their way by gamers. The companies like Ubisoft, Activision, Codemasters got s*** shoved up their arse for using anti-gamer/anti-consumer DRM in their games. What happened?, Each and every one of them backtracked because they saw their sales dropping. Same reason why Microsoft dropped their Xbox One draconian DRM. Microsoft apologists like the OP will continue to remain vocal till end of next year. Till then the console war should somewhat be settled.

For whatever they are, I still see Microsoft as evil. They simply ignored all the feedback regarding Metro start screen in Windows 8 during the betas last year and gave that horrid piece of tacked on interface along with desktop. 8.1 in it's current form is absolutely doing nothing for usability improvements. You cannot multitask modern apps in desktop mode. Instead, you have to use stardock's app to enable that functionality. So again blatant ignorance of feedback.

You cannot expect Microsoft to be more evil than this.

To OP

If you are a person worshiping evil as you say, power to you. But you have absolutely no idea of the power of GOODWILL. It is a general human tendency to favor something that is good.

A few points...

- Windows 8 with the third party start menu, runs just like 7, if not better.

- XBOX ONE, I will probably wait till 6 months to a year after release to get it, and see how it all shakes out.

- TABLETS: Windows RT, its like this, they need to merge the code with WINDOWS PHONE 8.x and just have said feature turned off its the device isn't a phone, and maybe do phablets

- TABLETS II: SURFACE PRO: Needs to come in more form factors.

- OTHER FORM FACTORS: Why oh why can't Microsoft make just a surface device like say Google's Chrome box?

You guys like to point out that this forum is so pro MS, blah blah blah.

Since I started following and posting here, I've seen every bit as much anti MS as anywhere else, with the same mix of name calling and general trolling

I try not to argue with the fanboys or trolls. They win by stirring us up. As you say though, its hard to ignore unfair or untrue posts.

I expect a site called neoWIN to be pro MS. But some people seem to think if you post anything positive about another company that is some sort or slight against MS and needs to be challenged.

For whatever they are, I still see Microsoft as evil. They simply ignored all the feedback regarding Metro start screen in Windows 8 during the betas last year and gave that horrid piece of tacked on interface along with desktop. 8.1 in it's current form is absolutely doing nothing for usability improvements. You cannot multitask modern apps in desktop mode. Instead, you have to use stardock's app to enable that functionality. So again blatant ignorance of feedback.

To OP

If you are a person worshiping evil as you say, power to you. But you have absolutely no idea of the power of GOODWILL. It is a general human tendency to favor something that is good.

Are they really evil though? I could agree with some of your points, but you guys seem to take these points too far.

MS took a drastic step with 8 by adding Metro. With 8.1 they seem to have done a lot trim down the confusion between the desktop and Metro, which is one reason for the issues in 8. The reality is that there is a great desktop in 8. In 8.1, they make it easier to avoid Metro completely.

To me, all the tech companies out there screw up or make stupid statements. They all have their bad moments, but evil is a term I would reserves for something other than these companies.

I expect a site called neoWIN to be pro MS. But some people seem to think if you post anything positive about another company that is some sort or slight against MS and needs to be challenged.

Sure, I would think that as well, and yet I see plenty of posters that are doing the opposite of what you say. Comments in threads and articles are filled with challenges against MS info. There are fair posters such as yourself, but I see the same 'stuff' that goes on at almost every site like this.

I wish both groups would go away, but that's not going to happen unfortunately.

All evil companies are shown their way by gamers. The companies like Ubisoft, Activision, Codemasters got s*** shoved up their arse for using anti-gamer/anti-consumer DRM in their games. What happened?, Each and every one of them backtracked because they saw their sales dropping. Same reason why Microsoft dropped their Xbox One draconian DRM. Microsoft apologists like the OP will continue to remain vocal till end of next year. Till then the console war should somewhat be settled.

To OP

Not a promoter of "Evil" (actually a devout Christian)...

But sometimes you have to fight back...

I am no fan of Apple (though I do own a iPad2). But during Jobs reign, he was the face of the company, at it's all time high peak, all while refusing to back down and would rip the competition apart (and even do it, while having an inferior product sometimes)...

Am I pro MS... Sometimes...

Am I pro Sony.. Well sometimes...

Always have Sony and Microsoft products... Some products were great... Some stunk...

All I see is pitchforks and fires burning for a company, though are greedy at times, have done nothing but help make some of the best software in the Technology world...

My post was originally about a gaming aspect only.

But when I look at MS as a whole, I am happy they are in business and trying to push innovation.

"Get a Xbox 360 if you can't get online"

"Get 2 jobs, if you want a PS3"

"Draconian DRM" on Xbox One

"hidden DRM" on Sony products

RRoD

YLOD

Windows Vista & ME

PSN security breach

Nickel and diming

Over priced TV's

I listed some of each companies recent problems over last decade or so.

One of these companies is always forgiven.

The other y'all always want to burn at the steak and want them out if business

When at the end of it all, they are not much different.

2 big time companies who want your loot...

To OP

The way you're talking about them, it makes me feel like you think Microsoft just killed hundreds of people. Because that'd be evil, that'd be horrible - adding DRM (which most companies do) or removing a ****ing start menu isn't evil. 

The thing is I used to be pro Microsoft back when 7 was released. Everything M$ made was just gold, but since the betas of 8 when they showed off Metro and decided to forget that desktop users make up a good 80% of of all Windows users, then M$ simply lost their way.

Im all for innovation and things, but the leap from 7-8 was too much, too fast. Now killing Windows Live Messenger for Skype only made things worse.
So should they embrace the villain role? I think they already are doing that.

• Like 3

Microsoft, you have already been labeled the evil empire.

Is the point where I stopped reading because only an idiot would give weight to such nonsense!