[Network]Help replace to Home Network.

Hello.

My daughter's computer is now non internet functioning.

See image.

post-66351-0-10828500-1375534575.png

I need a fix so she can use the internet.

I thought I could click on 'Unidentified' and change it to Home, but no I can't.

So help as this is not my forte.

Thanks in advanced Lee

Did you try turning it off and back on again? ;)

So since its an unknown network - you sure its not connected to the wifi across the street?

Verify its actually connected to your wifi! Verify it got an IP address, via cmd prompt ipconfig /all -- if it got a 169.254.x.x address then it didn't get one.. Did you try rebooting your router.

Hello again.

It's the Ipv4 config that is the problem.

If I could edit it on my daughters - see below.

post-66351-0-55738900-1375604288.png

My daughter should be 192.168.0.3

Compared to my sons - see below.

post-66351-0-59218500-1375604318.png

My daughter created this problem by using some dongle for her nintendo hand held game.

This is actually the third time I have had this problem in two years, except the last two times I restored an image from Norton, however she deleted all the ghost images.

HP System restore doesn't see restore partition even though it's Drive D and has the files on it, so cannot do a factory restore.

So help please in changing the IPv4 address.

Thanks

Lee

Well change it

post-14624-0-91518300-1375616717.png

But I doubt that is the problem, problem is your not getting dhcp like your other one.. So your either not on the wireless network you think you are, or your dhcp server is not working, etc.

I ask again -- did you turn it off and back on again? And did you verify your ON your wireless network.. Why do you think she should be .3 do you have reservations setup?

Done all the suggestions before they were suggested.

I manually edited settings, still shows up as 169.254 ecetera.

If you actually made it static than what your saying is impossible.. Sorry it is.. Show me where you set it static and it didn't take it..

Here the thing your set for DHCP, just like your other one.. But it didn't get an IP from your dhcp server (router I would assume) So yeah it gives it self a random 169.254 address..

So its on the Wrong network - ie the one across the street or something.. Since it says unidentified this is possible conclusion since it should of known your network if it was connected to it before. Or the dhcp server is not working, or something not quite right with the connection.

As to it being .3 -- the only way that happens is if you have a reservation setup on your dhcp server for its mac address.. Do you? Did change your reservation, now your other box got an IP today from your dhcp server - so have to assume its working.. Do you have IPs left to give out on your dhcp server?

What security are you using on your wireless network.. What SSID are you using? Is it UNIQUE and broadcasted -- lets see the wireless networks around you.. Again - HOW are you sure your on your wireless network??

As I explained, I did nothing.

My daughter kept using some dongle, network key she purchased from the supermarket, which connects to her nintendo had held game.

The settings on a previous i.s.p. would allow only certain security that is why she purchased it.

Then she complains to her brother she cannot get on the internet, then he tells me as my daughter knows she did wrong.

I find the same settings as before this happened.

I fixed it before with a norton ghost restore, however she deleted those.

So I am up faeces creek without a paddle.

I then manually changed the settings in IPv4 to 198.168.0.3.

All the other details are the same as my sons as they need to be.

When I go and inspect IPv4 it still has the same settings as above.

If you manually changed them -- then they would be CHANGED!! So clearly your NOT changing them, are you admin?

Is this what she bought

http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DS-Wi-Fi-USB-Connector/dp/B000MXMNG4

This turns the box into a wireless hotspot.. So is this software still installed? Running? Uninstall this software!!

No.

RealTek RTL8188SU WirelessLan 802.11n U.S.B. Network.

I think the settings have changed it to L.A.N. settings.

Dude that is not a dongle to create a hot spot to get here box tied to here DS..

Is that what your computer is showing it as.. Since that is a wireless networking chip yes..

"Single-Chip IEEE 802.11b/g/n 1T1R WLAN Controller with USB 2.0 Interface"

Is the computer plugged in via a wire?? What the hell you showing wireless setting for??

Is there any Nintendo software installed -- UNINSTALL IT!!

edit: Dude can you plug this into a wire and get it on the internet? So you can run teamviewer and then let me in so we can fix it..

It will be stuck in ad-hoc mode at driver level to let it talk to the DS. Change it back or reinstall the driver - which ever you prefer.

^ Yup quite possible, look at the driver for your wireless card.. But if that was the case - he should not be able to even see his normal wireless network let alone connect to it.

I have not played with any of these usb wifi connecters for the DS.. But looks like they run software to turn your laptop into a wireless AP.

So its quite possible that software dicked up his settings. Which why I suggest he uninstall the software! And what we get back is "I think the settings have changed it to L.A.N. settings. "

I don't know even where to try and help this guy, since seems we are talking a different language then him when it comes to anything at all to do with networking. He troubleshooting skills seem limited to rolling back to some previous time and date.

I would imagine that he's likely seeing the existing home network wireless connection but I have seen devices that will show both ad-hoc and infrastructure connections despite only being able to connect to ad-hoc connections.

I've only ever used one before for the original DSLite - it placed the USB device into 802.11b / ad-hoc then allows you to "pair" it with a DS to get the DS onto the Nintendo network. To my knowledge you can just restore the driver settings to get it back to normal or reinstall the driver.

Are you certain you are configuring the right network adapter? From the window in your first shot, can you post a pic of the "Change Adapter Setttings" window?

2e4kug2.png

Try disabling your firewall temporally , set the IP settings to DHCP (automatic), disconnect & reconnect and see what happens....

Basically what is happing here is that you computer isn't recieving settings from the server (either it's caused by a setting in the firewall, a virus, or your router / modem is broken)

Hello.

My daughter's computer is now non internet functioning.

See image.

attachicon.gifdaughtersu.png

I need a fix so she can use the internet.

I thought I could click on 'Unidentified' and change it to Home, but no I can't.

So help as this is not my forte.

Thanks in advanced Lee