Photo

A Force Field Against Mosquitoes ?

university of california kite patch spatial plume environmental protection agency patent pending

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,566 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:04

When warding off mosquitoes, few products on the market offer a convenient and non-toxic solution. Mosquito netting and EPA-registered repellants may be the most prevalent commercial products for the task, but a company called ieCrowd says it is about to introduce a new approach: the Kite Mosquito Patch.

Developed at the University of California Riverside, the technology behind the Kite, which ieCrowd acquired, is said to involve non-toxic chemical compounds that neutralize a mosquito’s only meal ticket: its ability to detect carbon dioxide, which humans exhale.

“The Kite Patch is somewhat of a marvel - a novel approach to mosquito deterrents,” said Grey Frandsen, ieCrowd’s chief marketing officer and Kite’s project lead. “[It] creates a spatial plume, if you will, around the human body and essentially makes us invisible to mosquitoes.”

Each Kite Patch, which sticks onto garments, is purported to shield humans from mosquitoes for up to 48 hours. Frandsen would not reveal which chemical compounds are in the Kite Patch because the technology is patent pending. Nevertheless, he insisted that the compounds are safe.

“All of the compounds that we are bringing together and blending represent compounds approved by the Food and Drug Administration here in the United States for consumption, and by the International Fragrance Association for the fragrances,” he said.

Pending approval from the Environmental Protection Agency, ieCrowd expects to release the Kite Patch within 10 to 14 months. He declined to say how much it will cost.

more & video

#2 n_K

n_K

Neowinian Senior

• 5,367 posts
  • Phone: Nokia 3315

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:17

Sounds brilliant if it works as advertised.

#3 arachnoid

arachnoid

Times a Ticking

• 3,417 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:40

Hmm.....Now whilst this item sounds good its essentially a patch that emits a small amount of chemicals that waft around a small region of the body where its applied.The only way I can see this having a major effect on CO2 emissions is if you applied it to .............the roof of your mouth. :laugh: :D

#4 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,566 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 14:49

I'll get one for my cat. :laugh:

#5 Growled

Growled

Neowinian Senior

• 41,508 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 15:28

Pending approval from the Environmental Protection Agency, ieCrowd expects to release the Kite Patch within 10 to 14 months. He declined to say how much it will cost.

That usually means it's out of my price range. Neat idea, though.

#6 Dane

Dane

Neowinian Senior

• 6,744 posts

Posted 03 August 2013 - 17:36

Good. I'll try it. ###### those things. Last summer I used deet spray. Nothing, deet spray with more deet 20%. Nothing. Later that season 30+ bug bits, even found one on me before I killed it.

This summer found 100% deet, it worked but burned my skin. So next is either electric repellent or this new thing.

#7 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,566 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 00:46

:shifty:  Here's my idea of a force field:

Attached Images

• forcefield2.png

#8 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• 8,341 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:03

:shifty:  Here's my idea of a force field:

Is the attire part of the force field?

#9 +Medfordite

Medfordite

Neowinian Senior

• 2,410 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Axiom

Posted 04 August 2013 - 01:29

According to the NYT using a fan works:

http://www.nytimes.c...rrent.html?_r=0

But, if you are out camping w/o electricity or batteries, this might not be a good idea. :)

#10 CLontario

CLontario

Neowinian

• 23 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:00

S.C. Johnson has Clip-On Mosquito Repellent:

OFF-Clip-On-Mosquito-Repellent.png

So I don't see how this is really any different.