Who didn't see this coming?

CBS Blackout Triggers Surge in TV-Show Piracy

Since Friday more than three million Time Warner customers throughout the United States have lost access to CBS programming, including the popular Showtime network. In what appears to be a direct result of the blackout, the percentage of unauthorized downloads from affected regions has risen pretty dramatically this week. Piracy rates of the popular show ?Under The Dome? shot up 34% over the weekend, while official ratings dropped.

With hundreds of thousands of downloads Under The Dome is one of the most pirated TV-shows at the moment. Of all sampled downloaders in the U.S. 10.9% came from the blackout regions for last week?s episode, and this increased to 14.6% for Monday?s episode, a 34% increase.

In New York City, one of the largest affected markets, the relative piracy rate more than doubled from 1.3% of all U.S. downloads last week to 3% for the episode that aired after the blackout.

At the same time that piracy spiked, the official ratings took a large hit. On Monday, Under The Dome reached its season low ranking with only 10.49 million viewers compared to 11.41 million the week before.

I'm sure CBS/Time Warner must realize that the longer they refuse to come to an amicable agreement, they're only serving to push more people towards other solutions. Whether that be legal (i.e. Aereo) or illegal (torrents), it doesn't matter, they're going to end up losing money either way.

I guess you just need to be fairly rich these days, to afford TV cable and satellite ...

not really. you just have to search around for cheaper alternatives, like card-sharing, account stacking, etc.

I know many, many people have switched over to account stacking and splitting the costs. even card-sharing is gaining, granted it's satellite piracy, it's extremely easy to get and set up

^ I saw some house that has some odd named satellite dish, that isn't DirecTV or Dish network.

No idea if he somehow pirates signals.